Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Smush/groups in high school. Does the pressure stop?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 4:59 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
A Smush room is a room set aside for people engage in s-xual activity. When I read the OP , it also occurred to me that this might be a word used to describe a group of girls who are very close. Like too close.

Where in the world does this type of thing go on? Why would you assume that is whay it's referring to? I'm not exactly sheltered but this is nuts to make that sort of connection to the word.

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 5:00 pm
Lots of questions lol
Do the girls who are “in the shmush” knit that they are ?
Is there one shmush group per grade? Per school? Do all the different shushes from dif schools make up one big smush ?

I

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 5:04 pm
In my town we have this as well. It’s called the GG’s (belonging to the Grade Group). Basically the popular girls from all the parallel classes form their own exclusive clique. 9th and 10th grade is it’s peak and it usually dies down by 11th. Can be pretty miserable for girls that are insecure and feel left out of all the action.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 5:42 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
In my town we have this as well. It’s called the GG’s (belonging to the Grade Group). Basically the popular girls from all the parallel classes form their own exclusive clique. 9th and 10th grade is it’s peak and it usually dies down by 11th. Can be pretty miserable for girls that are insecure and feel left out of all the action.

Even more miserable for the girls who are part of it and have to keep up with the never ending trends and social obligations… (or rather.. their parents)

amother
Steelblue

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 5:53 pm
Haha!!! I have 2 DDs in HS. They claim that in their school there is not much competition but they make fun of certain other schools and their shmushes. I was so confused first time they said that, like, huh? What does that mean?
I think they explained it as follows: there are snobby besties and snobby cliques, and a couple pairs of friends or cliques form a group, but the shmush is made up of a whole bunch of snobby cliques and groups. It's a large "shmush" of snobby groups. And there are always individual girls on the fringe of the shmush.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 6:25 pm
Yes recently "shes part of the shmush" or "the shmush in my grade" is definitely a term I hear high school girls say all the time. It could be its in specific schools... Growing up and my siblings never used this word we probably used the terms cliques and snobs..

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 6:27 pm
My hs daughter said 'it's a yeshivish word & so last year'.
Lol
Oros

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 6:36 pm
I am 25 and I have never felt old until this thread

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 6:38 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:

Same

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 7:09 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
My hs daughter said 'it's a yeshivish word & so last year'.
Lol
Oros

And my 14yo oot daughter who goes to camp with tons of Lakewood girls and knows the latest brands etc never heard it!
She said she's going to listen out for it this year... Maybe it's dependent by school?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 7:32 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:

I’m 22 and never used this word!

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 8:07 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
Where in the world does this type of thing go on? Why would you assume that is whay it's referring to? I'm not exactly sheltered but this is nuts to make that sort of connection to the word.

Google just the word smush.. there is definitely another meaning to it.

I would definitely encourage renaming this something more appropriate!

amother
White

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 8:17 pm
amother Sand wrote:
Lesbian never would've occurred to me.

I've only ever heard the word "smush" be used to refer to cute babies and toddlers, like "He is SUCH a SMUSH!" Or sometimes they say "smushie." But my DDs are only in elementary school LOL

I asked my daughter who’s going into 9th grade what it means and that’s exactly what she said-cute babies and toddlers!

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 8:56 pm
I have all boys Thank you Hashem

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:28 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
I have all boys Thank you Hashem

Lol

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:30 pm
This is definitely school specific. It may spread to other schools, but IMO it's an awful word and I hope it doesn't!

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:34 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
This is definitely school specific. It may spread to other schools, but IMO it's an awful word and I hope it doesn't!

I’m in Baltimore and my high schoolers know who the smush girls are

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:52 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
I’m 22 and never used this word!

Haha was coming here to say the same! First time I’m feeling old on this site 😂

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 7:19 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
And my 14yo oot daughter who goes to camp with tons of Lakewood girls and knows the latest brands etc never heard it!
She said she's going to listen out for it this year... Maybe it's dependent by school?

My teen says it's one specific school in Lakewood (not hers), and she would not think it's fun to be part of (too much pressure, politics).

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 4:47 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
Then your daughters must be part of the shmush. Plenty of friends, in the heart of things...

Really most girls in the shmush are nice when you speak to them one on one (besides for the insecure ones who feel a need to prove themselves). But as a group it can be intimidating. Also not everyone part of the shmush has close friends. Some of them just sit with them and try to be part of it.

Oh no. My daughter is going into Oros…this is making me nervous. How do I help her transition?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries