Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Can they not empty shelves?

Seraph

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 8:15 am
OK, me being new at this toddler stage, I wanted advice.
I have a toy shelf with baskets of toys, in easy reach of my toddler and all the other toddlers I have in my playgroup. Kids are between 1 and 2. Is it reasonable to even try to teach them that they cant just empty out all the toys; that they can take out one type of toy at a time and then put it back?
Or is this age impossible to teach that, that I shouldn't bother, and be resigned that if my toy shelves are in such easy reach, I'll just have to reorganize the shelves from scratch every day and deal with the mess?

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 9:27 am
I think I would put 1 or 2 baskets in their reach (depending on how many kids at a time, you have to have enough go go around) and put the rest out of their reach. I think between 1 & 2 is a bit young to get the "clean up and put back" thing, but you can try. Usually what you get though is you start to clean the toy that A pulled out b/c he is done with it, but B started playing with it so you don't clean it up. IN the mean time A pulled out the next toy, etc. Besides dumping toys is more fun than playing with them anyway so if you don't want thtem all dumped out at once I suggest higher shelves Smile

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 9:33 am
When I worked in a gan for that age the ganenet would kept the toys in a back bedroom. She would bring one container of toys at a time. (eg. one container was dolls and stuffed animals, one was legos etc) The kids would usually dump it all out play with it. Then we'd clean up together while she sang the clean up song. The ganenet would sometimes sweep the toys more together so it wouldn't be too overwhelming to pick up. Yeah the ganenet and I ended up picking up a lot but we were doing it together with the kids. I think the kids learn something from it and she said - don't know if I agree with this concept - its a good time user.

happymom

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 10:20 am
the only way you could stop them from emtying hselves is to have the shelves high up. thats what they do at that age. thats why I try and put things I dont mind them emptying on the bototm shelf

Seraph

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 12:51 pm
ok, let me clarify. the toys are gonna stay exactly where they are.

theyre too young for me to teach not to empty it out? I should just be prepared to clean up a mess?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 12:55 pm
I think that age is still too young to learn not to keep spilling toys. Once they turn a little older like 20 months to 2 years then it can get a little easier. Since you have a few kids it's hard to be on top of each kid anyways.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 10:37 pm
speaking as a mom who cleans up that EXACT mess every night (megablocks, little people, board books, oh my!)...... yep, that's too young to teach real clean up. I like the one bin at a time idea, and my daughter would be ok with it but my son has to see ALL his toys at once and he has to have complete control of when he gets the books, the little people, the megablocks, the stuffed animals, etc...... it's enough that I put away all the electronic toys before Shabbos (surprisingly, there hasn't been an uprising over that (yet).

zigi

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 10:48 pm
my kids finally learned to clean up at 3. now b'h I have another wrecking ball my 15 month old. he takes every thing out and down.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 11:18 pm
Seraph wrote:
I should just be prepared to clean up a mess?

YES Very Happy

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 12:59 am
Seraph wrote:
ok, let me clarify. the toys are gonna stay exactly where they are.

theyre too young for me to teach not to empty it out? I should just be prepared to clean up a mess?

Yes, they are too young. Dumping is way more fun than playing don't ya know? Tongue Out

If you can't move them, be prepared to clean them.

challi

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 11:37 am
they are too young, you can teach them to clean up the mess if they make it though at that age, just make a game ut of it and it will get cleaned up pronto
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics