Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Separate Seating?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:11 pm
I have been to a sukkah that had alot of guests and the men and women sat separately. I didn't really mind. I also like to sit in the sukkah with my family.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:23 pm
I think you could ask the same about having guest on any shabbos. I dont think you have the same family togetherness (giving attention to the kids) that you have when there aren't guest, even if you are in the same room.

As for Y"T, having guest for 1 or 2 meals (out of 8-10) is nothing wrong, and is very nice even if eating separately. Having guest for every single meal is a different story.

cassandra

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:35 pm
The only time I can recall my family sitting separately is on the occasional Sukkos when the weather is not bad enough for the men to eat inside but the women bow out because it's cold/nasty/wet. I'm all for family togetherness, but if it's once in a blue moon (even once a Y'T) that's no big deal. It can even be fun sometimes to have a "girls only" meal.

sv9506

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:39 pm
I am going to my in-laws for the first days and for the day meals, there will not be enough room in the sukkah for even just the family (another married child and family is coming then) so the woman will probably be eating inside. It doesn't bother me because it wasn't intentional and this way all fo the family will get to be together.

Motek

Post Sat, Oct 11 2008, 9:31 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
I have been to a sukkah that had alot of guests and the men and women sat separately.

You mean they sat separately in the succa or that men were in the succa and women indoors?

Mrs. XYZ wrote:
I think you could ask the same about having guest on any shabbos.

Sitting in separate places with no joint conversation (Succos) is the same as having guests at the Shabbos table? I don't see it.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 11:25 am
[quote="Motek"]
Pickle Lady wrote:

Mrs. XYZ wrote:
I think you could ask the same about having guest on any shabbos.

Sitting in separate places with no joint conversation (Succos) is the same as having guests at the Shabbos table? I don't see it.

Ok not exactly the same.
But on shabbos the "quality family time" is def. not the same when having guest as when not having guest. By us when we have guest, the women generally sit at one end of the table conversing, the men at the other end, and the children stuck somewhere in between. There isn't too much joint conversation.
But again, its not so terrible not to have quality family time evey single week, so we do occasionally have guest.

freidasima

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 11:41 am
You mean that there are frum families where men and women sit at the same table during the year as well???!!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics