Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where should I live?
Previous  1  2  3

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 8:07 am
What types of schools are there and type of student body? theres an outstanding day school. It has tghe best education in the state. The kids who come out of the place are briliant. And the resource room and extra tutoring is all free. I believe that all the grades are mixed until 6th grade? it might be fourth by now...But theyre usually together for Math.

Approx. how much is tuition and do they give breaks? they def do make breaks for ppl...im not sure how much tuition is.

I'm not asking about a mikveh because we're only interested in an established community. There is a mikvah, not fancy but it does what its supposed to.

What's the kosher meat availability? Cholov Yisroel is not a problem, because we don't only eat c"y.YOu can get kosher meat. A man from Detroit brings in orders every week or every other week. Really fresh stuff, its shechted that day. And he cuts everything up for you just the way you want it.

Are there kosher restaurants or take-outs? no, no restsaurants but they have froze pizza and frozen salmon and chicken dinners you can put in the microwave with rice and veggies and its a delicious little meal. Also they have other stuff in the freezer section for a quick dinner.

How many shuls are there and what kinds? What kind of people? We daven nisuch sefard and my husband always ends up in a shul with the same type of crowd as we are, but the rabbi is usually chassidish. Right now there are 4 places to daven. You have the shul which has ALL sorts of ppl. traditional ppl who drive to shul and the frummiest. There is no place to daven nusach sfard right now but we have ppl who do daven sfard who just daven along with the rest of the community. We also have Sfardim...Theres also the kollel, they have minyanim every day but shabbes morning they daven with the shul. Then there's the "torah center", its a kiruv place in the community. And the yeshiva has minyanim daily except on friday night they daven with the shul. The shul at the moment does not have a Rav, they are trying to find a new one, the old one just left this summer. And if we move there we will be starting another shtiebel in our house.

Is it a friendly community? Exceptionally. Everybody comments how were all there for eachother.

What is the living situation, price of houses, apt, etc.? There are no apts within the eruv. There is subsidized housing but it has a 2 yr waiting list. The houses range from 60k 4 a 3 bedroom 2 bath very nice ranch houses with huge yards to 700k for mansions with pools, all in the neighborhood.

Is it safe to walk around at night? I think its exceptionally safe. Ive walked around the streets of South bend at all hours and never felt threatened. There is a neighborhood behind the shul that isnt so lovely but just dont go there!

What is average median income? What do most people do for a living? income? not sure. Lotsa ppl are either teachers or work for the Lerman family. They own 2 factories and lotsa ppl work for them. Actually, tons of new jobs are opening up now bc they are expanding.

Are most of the people from there originally or elsewhere? there are alot of ppl who are from there originally but then again alot of others! My mother has lived there her whole life.

Is there any reason not to move there? If you want a restaurant then dont come.

Are there crazy politics in the community? bh not anymore, they all left with the rav.

Do the people get along, jews with other jews and the jews with the non jews? yes, very much so. Unless your a close minded yeshivish person. But growing up in Indiana you see non jews as ppl too. Because they are...Ive never seen so many nice goyyim before anywhere else.. alot of them are hardcore church goers so really everyone is nice.

What's the weather like? its def npt as hot in the summer, it might get up to 90 but then go down to 60 at night. In the winter it rarely goes below 10 and theres usually one storm a winter. its no big deal tho. to nyers it would be a big deal but in indiana as soon as the snow is done coming down the streets are plowed immediately and those neighbors with snow blowers will usually do the whole block, including driveways! (these are non jews btw!)

Are there camps available in the summertime? There is a camp for girls up to 8th grade. and a camp for boys up to 8th grade. very nice. they go swimming and have trips and activities. Its very nice. We get girls and bochurim from out of town so its very nice.

Are there parks and places to go to on Sundays? There are many beautiful well kept parks.

Is there an eruv? yes.

Is there anti-semitism? you hear abt an incident every once in 5 years but def nothing major. just passing cars yelling out stuff.

How are the doctors there? amazing. My father is the local doctor. he does house calls for free. Smile He is not practicing anymore but if your kid wakes up in the middle of the night and you need a prescription, my father will take a look and get you one. the emergency rooms and fast and efficient. A ,an came from ny a couple of weeks ago and while he was here he got sick and ended up in the hospital. he said the care he got from the hospital and the bikur cholim were better than ny!

Does the state offer any sort of insurance? Im sure they do I just dont know.

About how much is health insurance there? again, im not quite sure.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 8:08 am
THAT WAS ALL SOUTH BEND BTW

bubby

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:37 am
Cedarhurst/Lawrence/Woodmere on Long Island. Lovely suburban area, all types, schools, shops, etc etc. Don't know about employment opportunities.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:43 am
bubby wrote:
Cedarhurst/Lawrence/Woodmere on Long Island. Lovely suburban area, all types, schools, shops, etc etc. Don't know about employment opportunities.

it's not a cheap area though. I used to live in far rockaway (which isn't cheap either), but the 5 towns is more expensive.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:48 am
bubby wrote:

that's only good if you're a rich snob ... 8)

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 1:52 pm
rochester, ny?

nylon

Post Sat, Sep 20 2008, 8:14 pm
5T is on target in terms of religious spread, but price wise? No way. You can't buy a shack for $500K and the taxes will kill you.

If you don't have money, stay away from the NYC area. Even Monsey isn't so cheap.

chanagital

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 10:45 am
Los Angeles

What types of schools are there and type of student body?
A mix of ashkenaz, sephardi and Chabad schools.
Approx. how much is tuition and do they give breaks?
$700+ a month per child and yes there is assistance.
I'm not asking about a mikveh because we're only interested in an established community.
What's the kosher meat availability? Cholov Yisroel is not a problem, because we don't only eat c"y.
There are 30+ kosher meat markets so meat is readily available. It's even sold in the regular supermarkets in a special section of the store.
Are there kosher restaurants or take-outs?
10+ in the valley and 60+ in the city.
How many shuls are there and what kinds? What kind of people? We daven nusuch sefard and my husband always ends up in a shul with the same type of crowd as we are, but the rabbi is usually chassidish.
There are over a 100 shuls in the greater area. Chabad, Ashkenaz, MO, Israeli, Moroccon etc...
Is it a friendly community?
That depends Wink
What is the living situation, price of houses, apt, etc.?
High cost of living but the valley area is more affordable.
Is it safe to walk around at night?
Generally yes.
What is average median income? What do most people do for a living? Approx $60K
Are most of the people from there originally or elsewhere?
A mix of natives, NY, Israelis etc...
Is there any reason not to move there?
Not cheap to live here comparably but otherwise it's great.
Are there crazy politics in the community?
Not really.
Do the people get along, jews with other jews and the jews with the non jews?
For the most part.
What's the weather like?
Hey it's California so the weather is better than most places.
Are there camps available in the summertime?
Yes lots of camps.
Are there parks and places to go to on Sundays?
There are lots of places to go here in LA (parks, beachs, mountains).
Is there an eruv?
Yes both in the valley and city.
Is there anti-semitism?
That is everywhere there is non jews.
How are the doctors there?
They're decent.
Does the state offer any sort of insurance?
Yes low income families can qualify for Medi-Cal.
About how much is health insurance there?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating