Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Anybody ever heard of KoLA?

misteray

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 10:57 am
We are going to LA in a few days I"YH and I wanted to know if the hechsher for Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is reliable- is has KoLA, Kosher LA. I found them listed on Kosherquest.com, but I still don't know anything else about it. I asked a few ppl and they've never heard of it...

If anyone knows if it is reliable or not- please let me know! I used to drink from there all the time (and loved it!) because my cousins did, but now that I am a little older and wiser I realize that not everyone (even family) has the same kashrus level...

And my LOR doesn't know, so pls don't say that.

Thanks very much!

rachel6543

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 11:01 am
Yes, the hechsher for Coffee Bean is reliable. Coffee Bean is one of the only kosher places in my area where people can go. However, they are not Cholov Israel, if you keep that (many years ago the location on Beverly near La Brea in LA used to carry some Cholov Israel products, but I don't if they still do anymore).

misteray

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 11:22 am
Thanks Rachel6543. Besides making feel better about having drank (drunk?) from there in the past, it makes me even more excited about the trip bec. they serve the best coffee drinks! (and we don't keep Cholov Yisroel, but thanks for the fyi)

It probably won't be an issue, but is the food also covered under the hechsher or only the drinks?

greentiger

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 11:23 am
If you are worried about cholov yisroel they mark everything that contains milk (and offer soy for the drinks) so its easy enough to avoid.

misteray

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 1:10 pm
As I said, C"Y is not an issue, but if either of you know abt the regular food there- not just the drinks. From what I remember they sell sandwiches and muffins etc. Can those be bought- not just in the package?

rachel6543

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 1:33 pm
Food is okay to eat there, but, I would always double check the Kosher Certificate displayed and what it states. I had a shabbos guest over yesterday and he said that the Coffee Bean he went to in our area said that the kosher certification posted didn't cover the cream cheese packets. I haven't been to Coffee Bean in a few weeks and I haven't had a chance to verify this personally.

Coffee Bean website has detailed info if you want to check out:
http://coffeebean.com/Keeping-......aspx

greentiger

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 10:43 am
From what I've been told, all their baked goods are baked in their main bakery under the same supervision and the delivered throughout California to all their branches. None of the Coffee Bean Cafes have kitchens on premises.

teachby

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 2:38 am
The Beverly and Alta Vista CB does indeed have Cholov Yisroel again, for those who are interested (it was actually only a few months that they did not have it). There is a sign in there very clearly stating what is and what isn't. That particular location is also Shomer Shabbos.

As for the baked goods, many years ago I inquired (by email), and was told it was only the LA and Orange County stores that were okay. However, that may have changed--you could email the company directly and they will probably be able to tell you. If you aren't leaving LA or Orange Counties it wouldn't matter anyway, but it was an issue for us once in Oxnard (Ventura County).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics