Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Chulent Help

MrsLeo

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 1:38 pm
Does Chulent meat have to be sauteed before it is put in the chulent pot?
What about the beans? Do they have to be cooked before hand? Last time my beans didnt cook through in the chulent and I want to try again this week with my new bigger crockpot.

Also, does anyone use a crockpot that doesnt have low and high but has a temperature reading? What do I put it on?

dimples

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 1:47 pm
I never saute my meat, just dump it straight in. I boil my beans for about 5 minutes before I put it in the pot, it makes it so much less gassy! but my mother never boiled her beans, so it must have been your crock pot was on too low a setting if it didnt cook properly. I do not know about about the temperature part...but good luck! Smile

Fabulous

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 1:47 pm
Supposedly chulent tasted better with sauteed onion and meat, but I never do. I put it on high the whole day and low right before shabbos. Sorry that I don't know about actual temp.

Ima'la

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 3:57 pm
It does taste better if you brown the meat first, but I don't bother and it's still delish. I don't pre-cook the beans, but I soak them the night before.

sbs

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 4:25 pm
my crockpot has number settings and here's what I do, soak the beans for a few minutes,rinse them.
dump everything in, cover with water, add spices.
I put the pot on the highest number (by me it's 5) and it stays like that for at least 4 hours, so everything should get fully cooked, I check every so often to make sure it has enough water.
then once fully cooked, I lower it to 3 and keep it there until we eat it.

chanagital

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 5:34 pm
Does Chulent meat have to be sauteed before it is put in the chulent pot? No

What about the beans? Do they have to be cooked before hand? Last time my beans didnt cook through in the chulent and I want to try again this week with my new bigger crockpot. No they don't need to be cooked. Soaking them is also optional. Make sure there is enough water or liquid in the cholent so the beans cook and it isn't too dry.

Also, does anyone use a crockpot that doesnt have low and high but has a temperature reading? What do I put it on? I have a low/high crockpot so I can't help.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 7:29 pm
When I was young and bored, I sautéed this that and the other. Today, I just dump it all in the pot with water till the top. The secret is 12 hours. make sure you cook it a full 12 hours on medium, before Shabbos. So you can do 6 hours on Thursday, plus 6 hour son Friday, for example.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 7:39 pm
I put in all ingredients with water and spices, cook on high until shabbos then make it on low.

TSR

Post Fri, Nov 28 2008, 3:17 am
I don't know if it is true but my fil told me that the meat should be sauteed first to avoid any bacteria forming as the meat slowly cooks. Because it cooks so slowly there is a possibility that bacteria will form. He's a doctor so I tend to trust him on these health related matters. Just some food for thought.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Nov 28 2008, 3:25 am
I don't sautee meat, I don't soak beans either.
But I make sure to cook beans/meat together, let it boil at least 10min.

Also if you soak beans, make sure you spill out the soaked water
and use fresh water for cooking.

Check wikipedia for "bean", read under "Toxins".

I head adding chopped celery reduces gassiness (or "bean music" as DH calls it).

TSR

Post Fri, Nov 28 2008, 3:32 am
Ok, I think you only have to brown ground meat before putting it into the crockpot. That's what this website seems to be saying.

"With the exception of ground meats, it is not absolutely necessary to brown the meat before cooking it in a slow cooker or Crock Pot, although it is recommended as part of the flavor development of the dish. When meat is browned, the sugars and proteins on the surface undergo a change called the Maillard reaction, after the French physician Louis Camille Maillard (pronounced "My yard") who discovered the reaction. This reaction creates the rich nutty flavor associated with gravies, roasted meats, baked beans, and other foods." From KitchenSavy.com

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 10:52 am
I dump everything into my crockpot and set it to high, then change it to warm before shabbat.

NativeMom

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 2:19 pm
I don't saute the meat but I do saute onions and then add water and dump everything else in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus