Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Why do you use formula
Previous  1  2  3  4

Why do you give formula?
cannot physically nurse for a medical reason  
 10%  [ 9 ]
cannot physically produce a decent supply after trying everything  
 12%  [ 11 ]
would love to nurse but find it too emotionally/physically draining and prefer to invest my energies into other areas of parenting  
 10%  [ 9 ]
do not beleive that there is much benefit to breastfeeding and formula is a perfecly valid alternative  
 1%  [ 1 ]
never managed to establish nusing properly and/or did not get enough support  
 6%  [ 6 ]
do not have the time (working mom) to invest in keeping up a supply  
 5%  [ 5 ]
other  
 12%  [ 11 ]
I do not use formula  
 42%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 90

YALT

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 2:37 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
YALT, I don't mean to intrude, but I have a feeling I know what the issue was with your baby intaking so much and not gaining, and how to help that.
You most likely had a very fast letdown which made your baby take in a lot, but the letdown is much waterier foremilk as opposed to fattier hindmilk, so your baby filled up on that without getting to the dessert.

If anyone wants more info on this or how to help it, let me know.

HY,
With DS, everyone insisted that no matter who I saw, if I didn't go to SC Silverstein - I didn't try hard enough.
So with DD, I went to SCS. She also thought that, but when I expressed into a cup, she eliminated that.
I think I tried everything with her. She never saw a baby like this. SHe couldn't understand a baby eating so much, and all seems to be perfect, yet losing weight.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 2:41 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
I don't understand that one. Can't one either pull over to find a place to nurse or let the baby cry for a bit? My kid has cried on city buses or subways. Either I get off an nurse, or I let him cry a bit. I don't see why a bottle would be necessary.

Yes they could let the baby cry. But 'lemaaseh' (in reality) we see from that thread how many women DO do it, so wouldnt it have been better to get their babies used to a bottle for such situations? (doesn't nec. have to be formula)
Yes, I may have carried a bottle of pumped milk for something like that at some point. Can't recall.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 2:44 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Raisin, thank you!!! I dont get this whole 'nipple confusion' thing and stubbornness not to give breastfed babies bottles. my baby had bottles in the hospital, bottles in seagate, bottles when I was hospitalized, yet he never refuses to nurse as a result. I have no issue leaving him with a bottle with a babysitter. I'm not attached to him 24/7. I dont see a reason to fear teaching a baby to take a bottle.

its not just nipple confusion but also that if you give too many bottles it reduces your milk supply ( the whole thing of supply and demand). It may not have happened to you but it happens very often. Its often the reason why women say "they don't have enough milk" and had to bottle feed in the end. Why do you think formula companies give you free bottles of formula in the hospital? Do you think its because they want to be nice...umm no they know that one bottles most of the time leads to many more bottles after that. With my second son, I through out the formula from the hospital and the 3rd child I gave my formula away to another woman in the hospital. My son had bottles in seagate and that was the reason he was a failure to thrive for weeks until I learned that it had extremely reduced my milk supply from not nursing enough. Babies have a desire to suck for a reason and that reason is to increase your milk supply.

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 2:50 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
Raisin, thank you!!! I dont get this whole 'nipple confusion' thing and stubbornness not to give breastfed babies bottles. my baby had bottles in the hospital, bottles in seagate, bottles when I was hospitalized, yet he never refuses to nurse as a result. I have no issue leaving him with a bottle with a babysitter. I'm not attached to him 24/7. I dont see a reason to fear teaching a baby to take a bottle.

its not just nipple confusion but also that if you give too many bottles it reduces your milk supply ( the whole thing of supply and demand). It may not have happened to you but it happens very often. Its often the reason why women say "they don't have enough milk" and had to bottle feed in the end. Why do you think formula companies give you free bottles of formula in the hospital? Do you think its because they want to be nice...umm no they know that one bottles most of the time leads to many more bottles after that. With my second son, I through out the formula from the hospital and the 3rd child I gave my formula away to another woman in the hospital. My son had bottles in seagate and that was the reason he was a failure to thrive for weeks until I learned that it had extremely reduced my milk supply from not nursing enough. Babies have a desire to suck for a reason and that reason is to increase your milk supply.

to clarify, I would only give a bottle to a baby after a couple of months, once the milk supply has been well established, and its certainly not an everyday thing.

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 2:57 pm
I gae bottles in addition to nursing because of a low supply. I didn't ote beacause I didn't see any option for that. I'm sorry if you don't belie me, mommale. As others hae said when one nurses eery hour and 20 minutes afterwards the baby is screaming from hunger - barely sleeps barely gains has only one dirty diaper a week if you're lucky - what is it then?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 11:43 am
YALT, I believe you...I just was throwing out an idea Smile

Aidelmom, I think there is something wrong with your 'v' key Smile

ReesesPieces

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:19 pm
My baby was born early and had a sucking problem so I didn't even bother trying. Also I didn't wanna be tied down to nursing. It's easier and more convenient. ( Babysitter, Vacations)

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:21 pm
Clarissa, when an infant is hungry and wants food NOW, you just let him scream for the next ten minute on a crowded bus or busy place? How many comments did you get? I do not pump and if I leave my baby somewhere for two hours or more, I gulp! leave a bottle of formula.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 6:25 pm
It just hasn't happened that much for me. I've usually been in a place where I could nurse somewhere in the area. But I have let him cry for a bit. Not ten minutes, but however long it took me to get to a place where I could feed him. The one time he cried on a bus I got nothing but sympathetic looks.

As far as leaving my baby for two hours or more, I left pumped milk on the rare occasions when that had to happen.

Obviously, if you don't pump and you leave a baby, you have to leave formula. We always had a bottle in the house for emergencies, but there was only one that I recall.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 7:02 pm
I have pumped milk in the freezer for the rare times I have to be out at night, but my 5 month old hates bottles. He''ll drink a bit and then scream until I get back. I'm looking forward to feeding him solids just because I think the food will distract him until I get back from wherever.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 10:51 pm
I gave formula to ds in order for him to have his bris. His jaundice was not going away b/c I was breastfeeding and we are diff blood types. So at approx 5-5.5 weeks old we gave him formula for a week or two and he was able to have his bris when he was almost 7 weeks old. I pumped during those weeks at every feeding and forced him to nurse again. Yes it was really really really hard to get him to want me again, but I said that no matter how stubborn he is I'll just be more stubborn. It didn't go 123, but I got him to nurse and he refused to take a bottle ever again.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics