Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Unstuffed cabbage
Previous  1  2

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 6:01 pm
of course you can halve it. with my recipe you'll have enough to fill six containers. however, ready shredded cabbage doesnt taste 1/10th as good as the fresh. it doesnt take long to check and cut 1/2 head of cabbage.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 6:03 pm
p.s. this freezes for eternity, makes a heavenly supper a hundred months from now.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 6:32 pm
avimom wrote:
That sounds much more my style- EASY! Can you get me the specs please? thanks!

its realllllly easy.

layer sauce, then meat, then cabbage, then sauce. and keep going till u use up all your stuff, but the more layers u do, the longer it will take to cook. we usually do 2 full layers of each. then cover and bake for at least 2 hours.
the sauce is a mixture of even parts of tomato sauce and jellied cranberry sauce mixed together.
enjoy!

BlumaG

Post Sat, Oct 11 2008, 8:51 pm
this might sound dumb but does the rice cook well in the meatballs? I hate eating crunchy rice - PS im trying to impress my inlaws and hubby...

HealthCoach

Post Sat, Oct 11 2008, 9:03 pm
I'm actually wondering now if the rice is supposed to be cooked. I use raw instant rice and it comes out fine, but my stuffed cabbages really expand from the rice, and maybe if the rice was cooked already they would be normal size

Tamiri

Post Sat, Oct 11 2008, 9:43 pm
If prepared properly, the rice absorbs the liquid, making the meatballs even more flavorful. When you get a proper recipe, it's quantities (should) take the uncooked rice into account.

avimom

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 9:39 am
I ended up making the kosher by design one for RH. It tasted good (very sweet if you like that) but wasn't too pretty. I use rice in my meatloaf and I don't cook it first...

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 10:29 am
montrealmommy wrote:
my grandmother;s recipe (modified) -

- mix ground meat with cooked rice and a little tomato sauce, pepper, onoin and garlic
- make small'ish meatballs (ping-pong ball sized or smaller)
- broil meatballs for 8-10 minutes turning once to brown evenly
- in a large pot saute lots of onions, 2-3 cloves minced garlic, oregano and parsley until onions begin to get translucent.
- Add cabbage and saute until just beginning to wilt
- add meatballs and 1 c. raisins (and any leftover rice if you want)
- pour in 24-32 oz. tomato sauce OR juice (I prefer sauce as it is thicker), 1/3 c. white wine, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 1 tsp vinegar and s+p to taste
- let simmer at least 2 hours on very low flame
- taste and adjust spices as necessary
- freezes great!
I made this for one of the Rosh hashana meals, with modification, left out pepper, left out the cooked rice (just served it with rice after it was done), did not broil meatballs before cooking, left out vinegar, used red wine instead of white. It was really delicious regardless!

I need to economize again for this YomTov, so I will probably stick with the ground meat again.

Blair

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 8:53 pm
Instead of making individual stuff cabbage which is time consuming make your regular recipe and layer it in a pan like making lasagna and bake. To serve cut into individual portions. Same taste less fussing.

Blair

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 8:54 pm
Instead of making individual stuff cabbage which is time consuming make your regular recipe and layer it in a pan like making lasagna and bake. To serve cut into individual portions. Same taste less fussing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus