Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Infant pain med doses

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 12:25 am
Hi - as I am typing this I am also doing a google search for info, but thought someone here may have the answer!

IY"H my son't bris is tomorrow - I want to pre-treat with either acetomenaphine or ibuprophen - I have both, but neither gives the dose for an 8lb baby who is 12 days old. I can't find my notes from ds#1 b/c I know I have ti written there, but the baby info page is missing - does anyone know what the dosages are? I have Tempra (aceto.) at a concentration of 80mg/ml and Motrin (ibu.) at a concentration of 40mg/ml.

TIA

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 12:33 am
ok - well, I find an answer on - for anyone who is interested, according to Dr.Sears' site, the dosages are:

ibuprofen is 4.5mg/lb of baby
aceto is 7mg/lb of baby

Pineapple

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 6:49 pm
Ask you ped before giving ibuprofen

dainty diva

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 7:50 pm
I was told .8 cc of infant tylenol or tempra, ibuprofin should not be given under 6 mo.

dimples

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 8:02 pm
ask your doc before you give it. I agree with pineapple, no ibuprofen b4 6 mo. I think I was told .6 of tylenol

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 8:23 pm
Pity I didnt notice this til now. as the other posters said, tylenol is okay to give 1 dosage (.8), but ibuprofen is best to wait til six months. I started giving MOtrin at 5 months, but my baby weighed about 16-17 pounds already.

BennysMommy

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 8:27 pm
I don't remember giving anything before or after the bris. My baby cried for less than 10 seconds and nursed and fell asleep right after.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 8:34 pm
yeesh that was supposed to be .8.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 8:35 pm
Here's a link to acetaminophen and ibuprofen dosing charts for all ages:

http://www.premierpediatricsny......html

chaylizi

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 8:45 pm
I thought the dose was 0.4 or half a dropper. that's what my pediatrician's dosing sheet says

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 7:17 pm
kikavu wrote:
I thought the dose was 0.4 or half a dropper. that's what my pediatrician's dosing sheet says

Pain medication dosage is not determined by your specific pediatrician. All pediatricians give out the same guidelines that are decided on by the drug company.

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 9:25 pm
Thank you all for your response -

I had called my peds before administering any meds and was told usually ibuprofen is not recommended for babies under 2 months, however, given the circumstances (bris and all) the added component of anti-inflamatory that it has and aceto. doesn't it is ok to give - just not regularly. the doc. also confirmed the dosages based on babies weight and bottle strength.

I hope we never need to use such information and only have healthy children!

realeez

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 9:43 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
kikavu wrote:

Pain medication dosage is not determined by your specific pediatrician. All pediatricians give out the same guidelines that are decided on by the drug company.

Right and kikavu's ped's info is right on for most newborn's weight (unless ppl here are having 12-lbers)

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t089101.asp

http://www.babycenter.com/0_ac.....86.bc

mo5

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 5:46 am
Slightly off topic, but babies don't need pain relief before bris. Studies show best thing to do is to make sure their blood sugar is high, ie feed them close to the time of bris. (Studies done on kids needing injections/tests and checking stress reactions in baby with or without high blood sugar level)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics