Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to remove my babys earrings?

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 1:13 pm
I tried googling, but no help.. her earrings are welded shut- they r the ones u get when the ear gets pierced... her ear is getting all crusty- sign of infection? how do I remove them from her ear?
TIA

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 1:16 pm
After her bath, you'll have to pull the back piece off.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 1:21 pm
Put some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. Pat both the front and back of her ear with the cotton ball. Gently take the earring out as soon as it feels like it will move. You may have to use more than one cotton ball. It sounds like it could be infected, so check with your pedatrician. He may just recomend the rubbing alcohol for it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 1:22 pm
The way to take out the earrings that were punched in, is to just hold onto the front with one hand, and onto the back with the other hand... and pull. Have someone else hold the baby still so that you do not hurt her.
The first time I had to do this, I was so afraid of hurting my baby that I wasn't able to do it and thought it was stuck Smile I had my friend, who does it all the time, remove them for me.
As for the crust... even if you aren't able to get the earrings out right now, clean all around the earring and earring hole with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol, and then smear Bacitracin or Neosporin with another Q-tip, all around the earring hole.
Once things are back to normal and baby's ears are not crusty anymore, each night in the bath, turn the earrings to make sure that they do not get stuck to her ear. I learned this the hard way. We had to have dd's earrings removed by a plastic surgeon. (This time it was the screw-back earrings.)

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 1:25 pm
You might want to change to 18k gold hoops. My second daughter has VERY sensitive earlobes and can't wear studs - if she wears them for more than 2 days, the backs tend to work their way into her flesh. Hoops however are not a problem.

tziviakayla

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 1:50 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
You might want to change to 18k gold hoops. My second daughter has VERY sensitive earlobes and can't wear studs - if she wears them for more than 2 days, the backs tend to work their way into her flesh. Hoops however are not a problem.

This is great advice! I actually got my ears pierced so that that I COULD wear earrings. I can only wear gold jewelry, but clip-on gold earrings are very expensive, so I got my ears pierced!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics