Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
The New Corporate Mentality

amother

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 3:24 am
I've read vents like this and heard them from so many quarters
and I just said "Baruch Hashem my company is not like this" and went on happily with my work.
Our company is run by frum people. It is a humane company that realizes that their employees are human beings with families. We have experienced b'h success that I attribute to blessings from the abishter that we have held fast to our core principle and have not sacrificed all to the avodas zara of the bottom line.

Well, we had a company meeting. This is a slightly dramatized rendering of what the CEO said.
"We are beating the competition. Our numbers are phenomenal! Thanks to you, we are producing record numbers with a streamlined staff. We have moved mountains. We are on top."

"So now, to stay on top, we have to change the way we do business. I have asked myself, "What do I need with editorial staff in Israel. Why not outsource everything to India. I can pay an Indian with an MBA $600 to do your jobs. And why shouldn't I?"

"So I want you to innovate. Be more proactive. Make yourselves valuable and I will keep you and maybe even promote you. You work like machines, but if you continue to work like machines, I can find a cheaper machine, if you catch my drift."

Okay...so I understand. We have to be more creative, more proactive. He provided a few examples but not many. I work as an editor in a highly specialized field. I can't break out beyond my editorial role without expertise in the subject. He is expecting me to become an expert in finance without sending me to school? He is basically telling us move up or move out?

Look, I understand that this is the new management style. I understand the days are long gone when a good job was a nest egg. It used to be workers were rewarded for their loyalty (I have been working there four years had my pay cut because of the recession. Our recovery notwithstanding, instead of being offered my missing pay back, I've been told, "get a move on or I'll ship your job out to Bangalore) Now workers owe their employers eternal loyalty for not sacking them...

this is mamash mitzrayim...this mentality...it is so unjust and yet how can one be a boss, be ethical and survive in this world?

People told me my business would go the way of all businesses today eventually. I used to laugh to myself and say "Baruch Hashem, no.."
Well, now yes...

I guess I'll try to figure out how in the world I can reinvent myself suddenly without being pushed away as a I step on someone else's toes in the company or without getting a new degree...Looks like I should get out that resume...or move to India...

amother

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 10:46 am
bump...I'm really sad about this...wondering if anyone else's company has been similarly "transformed."

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 11:39 am
My employers (current and previous) always have been pretty ruthless (if I may use that word) as we are in a very competitive industry. Though I am grateful they're staying in business, rather than caring and compassionate but go out of business because they can't match competitors.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 11:48 am
My company is similar.
We are an outsouring computer company I work at a large client site.

However I am forced to put the interests of my company first above the interest of the client. I have to advise him that he needs more new systems, so my company can make a profit.

And when I see a cheap efficient way of doing something I have to keep quiet, bcs my company will lose moeny on that !

Talk about conflict of interest! And if I speak up - it may well be good bye ! and I cant afford to lose my job

ora_43

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 12:09 pm
Your CEO isn't so bright if he thinks he can outsource writing or editing work to India Confused . When it comes to professional writing, or even simpler jobs like transcription, there's a world of difference between fluent speakers and people for whom it's their mother tongue - and in India you're going to get the former, not the latter.

I worked for IDT once (who hasn't?), and at the time a couple of their major clients were companies that had attempted outsourcing to India and realized it wasn't going to work.

(Edited b/c some people know who I work for.)

Last edited by ora_43 on Thu, Jan 07 2010, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

newToNeighborhood

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 12:16 pm
I'm not sure what type of compassion you want. What your boss said sounds reasonable from a business standpoint. Why should he pay someone more $ if he can get the same job done for less? Business is business. If I ran a company I would want my employees to prove to me that they are worth their salary. Your boss doesn't owe you anything. When he lowered your salary you had the opportunity to leave, but you didn't. I understand that you had faith in this company and decided to stay, but clearly, they didn't put their faith back into you- or else they wouldn't have cut your salary or would've raised it when times were good.

Sometimes in these frum companies people get comfortable and lose that career drive they need to excel. You should take this opportunity to *shine*. You say you are an editor in a specific field... well, can you get new, innovative clients? Can you learn another field on the side and incorporate the two? There are always ways to expand your career- but you have to WANT to do it. Use the internet for ideas- there are always people online who are/were in the same shoes you're in now.

Good luck!

tovarena

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 12:46 pm
newToNeighborhood wrote:
Why should he pay someone more $ if he can get the same job done for less?

Yes, you can pay them less when you outsource jobs to India, but the quality of that work is often WAY below the standards of that being done by those in the company's headquarters. Anybody still now outsourcing and thinking they'll get the SAME work done for 1/2 the price are just closing their eyes to the obvious.

OP, I worked for a company in a similar situation in the past. I did try to do what they wanted and "reinvent" myself. It was crazy hard work during the time that I did it, and ultimately they still weren't willing to let me use those skills I took my own time and energy to learn. To this day, though, those skills come in very handy. I have since moved on to a much more appreciative, easy-going employer. But I don't regret taking the time to improve my skills. The only one that lost in that situation is the employer. What Their loss.

tovarena

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 12:50 pm
BTW, I should follow up with the advice that if you're really interested in staying there long term, talk to your boss and/or your boss' boss. ASK THEM what sort of additional experience or knowledge they would like you to attain. Obviously, then, you have to decide if you're willing to take the effort to learn it. And part of the equation may well be if that knowledge is at all transferable to a different company. If so, it might very well be worth investing the time.

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 1:06 pm
The OP is describing the great conundrum of workers in the information age. On one hand, the specialized information-based jobs that many of us have gravitated to are, in general, clean, safe, well-paid, and generally pleasant. There's no getting up a 4 a.m. to milk cows; no respiratory illness due to inhaling dust or fumes; no standing on swollen ankles for hours; in fact, most of us have pretty cushy work lives compared to people throughout history.

On the other hand, though, most of our jobs require less and less from us in terms of physical presence and unique knowledge or experience. We can easily be outsourced to whoever is willing to do the work for less.

I'll give you my thoughts and general advice on the new economic reality, some of which are philosophical in nature and some of which are more action-oriented:

1. All of us should be in job-search mode, all the time. That means having an updated resume, networking aggressively, participating in anything and everything (at our own expense) that might give us additional skills or value.

2. We need to get rid of our prejudice against "blue collar" professions, including jobs like plumbing, electrical work, car repair, appliance repair, etc. To quote a book which I highly recommend, Shop Class as Soulcraft, by Matthew Crawford, "If you need someone to build a deck, the Chinese can't help you. They're in China!"

3. We need to think of ourselves as corporations and develop multiple revenue streams. Many of us are accustomed to two revenue streams: ourselves and our DHs. We need to find ways to make extra money -- could be a part-time job; could be an Internet business; could be dogwalking. Doesn't matter if it brings in a little or a lot -- you try a lot of things and find something that makes you even a smidgen less dependent on that salary.

4. We need to think about the kind of work situations we want throughout our lives. For example, a number of months ago, there was a thread in which several posters made comments about the benefits of working for a large corporation. I took issue with this, and we volleyed back and forth. But what eventually came out of the conversation was that different situations suit different life stages. When you're in your 20s, you may have more energy for physically demanding work than when you're 50; on the other hand, if you have young children, you may value an understanding work environment over salary and benefits. But no life stage lasts forever, so you have to think ahead a bit, trying to stay a step ahead of the future.

5. We can't be lazy. I never fail to be amazed by the number of incredibly lazy people wandering around in the world. They can't do this because it's too hard; they can't do that because it's too stressful; they can't, they can't, they can't . . . Everything is too much trouble, and they whine a lot. What's worse, it's easy to slide down this slippery slope! I find myself doing it on some days!

6. We need to "sell ourselves" constantly to our employers. If my boss had given a speech similar to the that given by the OP's boss, I'd come up with a list of possible ways to add value to the company (some of NewToNeighborhood's suggestions are great!) and request a meeting as soon as possible. Ask for his feedback and see if he has any ideas. Express your willingness to learn new things, take on new projects, etc.

7. Cultivate an appropriate appearance for your industry. Remember the old, "Dress for Success" books by John Malloy? Their advice was rooted in the work culture of the 1970s-80s, but the underlying concept should be dusted off and revisited. We all need to look like we can represent our companies in a variety of roles. For example, I once had to let go a tech support guy because I just didn't need him; however, I desperately needed a trainer to go to clients. However, with his white athletic socks, dirty Dockers, and faded black jacket, I wasn't going to send him anywhere. He wouldn't have needed to dress expensively or look like he stepped out of Esquire -- just clean and presentable!

To sum up, career development is like paying the electric bill: you're never done. Even when you retire, you may not be done! It gets harder as you get older for many reasons: less energy, tougher to learn new things, ageism . . . but our hishtadlus demands a little more than simply showing up every day.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 2:06 pm
tovarena wrote:
BTW, I should follow up with the advice that if you're really interested in staying there long term, talk to your boss and/or your boss' boss. ASK THEM what sort of additional experience or knowledge they would like you to attain. Obviously, then, you have to decide if you're willing to take the effort to learn it. And part of the equation may well be if that knowledge is at all transferable to a different company. If so, it might very well be worth investing the time.

OP here...
I did go to the boss and told him I wanted to meet with him and discuss ways I could add value to the company..
I started on one idea, and a manager (who can't stand me...not sure why...my being frum might or might not be a part of it) totally sabotaged my idea..

I told my boss...about it in a kind of...hmmm...I just want to clarify...have the rules changed etc..?
The boss wasn't quick to say the manager was wrong but he said "no the rules didn't change. She must have thought you misunderstood..etc..""

I told my boss I would like to meet him privately to discuss new ideas. The company is having a beer and wine party (for the mainly MO workers ) and my dh doesn't think I should go (mixed men and women and drinking...dh was shocked that the company would do this), so I am staying away. This won't hurt me not going...but after the party, I will iy'h try to get a meeting with my boss.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jan 08 2010, 7:06 am
OP, a shame you'll have to miss a networking opportunity. You might think it won't hurt if you don't attend, but personally I find you can gather useful bit of information. Noone will force you to drink alcoholic beverages, and if it's in corporate setting (as opposed to people going out for drinks privately), most people act professionally and in moderation in such environment. (Getting drunk in front of your boss is a big no-no.) Instead of just listening to DH, would you consider asking a Rav?

As for approaching the boss--do you mean the CEO who made the speech? If so, be careful approaching him directly circumventing your direct manager. As much as you may not have a direct rapport with her, I'd be quite upset if my subordinates go straight to the top honcho with a business proposal if I were in her shoes. THAT'S WHY YOU NEED TO SCHMOOZE WITH THE CEO IN NON-OFFICIAL SETTING (eg wine and beer party).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics