Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Endocrinologist?
1  2  Next

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 5:39 pm
can anyone reccomend a n endocrinologist in the brooklyn area or near it who takies americhice and listenes to his patients, not just the number on the test results?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 5:40 pm
I have someone in Chinatown but he listens so much that you wait hours for your appt.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 5:45 pm
Is this thyroid, diabetes, or neither? I don't know NY but you may get better guidance that way.

If you mean thyroid, do you regularly get not just TSH but FreeT4 and FreeT3 as well?

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 5:48 pm
its for thyroid. I have been on desiccated thyroid and cytomel most of my life. my tsh levels are always too low and every doctor go t tells me I'm taking too much, but my hair has been steadily falling out for 11 years and is so dry and course that it's painful to brush even after conditioning,I am resistant to weight loss, my basal temp is always low, my nails are soft, I have brain fog, irregular periods when not on BC and in general always feel like a limp noodle.it takes me all day to recover from any significant physical exertion. I am supplementing with b vitamins,iodine and selenium but it hasn't helped at all. im looking for a doctor who will look beyond the tsh who takes my insurance.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 5:56 pm
A dr. can't go by TSH alone!!!
Do you have your latest TSH? My inquiring mind wants to know!
A few good books:
Living Well with Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon (I love her but her hyper book is very flawed)
Thyroid Power by the Shameses

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:00 pm
thanks but I know that. thats why I am looking for a better doctor. I think my tsh was .1.. not if I remember correctly though.

Last edited by Tweedledee on Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:01 pm
does anyone know of a doc?

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:01 pm
Actually met with an amazing endocrinologist on Friday to discuss hormonal issues (TSH, FSH, ACTH, prolactin). Harvey Benovitz. In Manhattan, but is well worth it. (Not that it matters, but he's also frum.)
:212-877-2100 .

Hatzlocha

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:02 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
Actually met with an amazing endocrinologist on Friday to discuss hormonal issues (TSH, FSH, ACTH, prolactin). Harvey Benovitz. In Manhattan, but is well worth it. (Not that it matters, but he's also frum.)

Hatzlocha

does he take americhoice?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:04 pm
Tweedledee wrote:
thanks but I know that. thats why I am looking for a better doctor. I think my tsh was .1.. not if I remember correctly though.

My apologies. I hope you don't mind polite patronizing; you must understand how eye-opening it is for some people though.
And a TSH of 0.1 would have you flirting with hypER...plot thickens ;-)

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:06 pm
Tweedledee wrote:
Yocheved84 wrote:

Hatzlocha

It seems like their office takes most plans. Definitely call and see. I've switched insurances about five times, and they've taken each one.

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:13 pm
then I'm a bad flirter. something is obviously very wrong. I suspect I have an autoimmune issue

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:13 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
Tweedledee wrote:
Yocheved84 wrote:

Hatzlocha

It seems like their office takes most plans. Definitely call and see. I've switched insurances about five times, and they've taken each one.

manhatten doctors rarely take it but I'll find out.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:18 pm
My dr was very caring, Dr Huey on Mulberry Street in Chinatown.

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:22 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
My dr was very caring, Dr Huey on Mulberry Street in Chinatown.

now if he takes americhoice?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 6:24 pm
I have no idea; I used Oxford.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 9:22 pm
Tweedledee wrote:
its for thyroid. I have been on desiccated thyroid and cytomel most of my life. my tsh levels are always too low and every doctor go t tells me I'm taking too much, but my hair has been steadily falling out for 11 years and is so dry and course that it's painful to brush even after conditioning,I am resistant to weight loss, my basal temp is always low, my nails are soft, I have brain fog, irregular periods when not on BC and in general always feel like a limp noodle.it takes me all day to recover from any significant physical exertion. I am supplementing with b vitamins,iodine and selenium but it hasn't helped at all. im looking for a doctor who will look beyond the tsh who takes my insurance.

I had similar issues that were B'h resolved by Dr. Mark Hyman, in Lenox,MA.
You need to travel once to see him and then you follow up by phone. He integrates regular medicine with supplements. He does alot of tests, he checks what exactly your body is missing or low in.
He's helped so many pp.
You might want to read his book, that is how I got to him.

http://www.ultrametabolism.com/

Refuah Shlaima, it is miserable, I can definitely relate.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 10:27 pm
Looking at your original post, you mention your TSH levels are low. I didn't read it carefully, figured since you mentioned you were on replacement, that your thyroid was low. Because if your TSH is low, why in the world are you on replacement? I'm still not clear as to what's going on, if you're hyper or hypo.

Also, about supplementing with iodine: iodine deficiency isn't too common these days. (Yes, there's a holistic MD named Brownstein who has his shitos on iodine; for various reasons he scares me, a lot.)

Here's the thing about thyroid: one can get such lousy treatment, on a consistent basis, that it's tempting to go the holistic route. Not that I have anything against complementary medicine, but when allopathic docs know what they're doing - what tests to administer, how to interpret them, how to dose - the patients will almost inevitably do well. When one goes to a naturopath, who offers all sorts of lovely supplements, etc. (sorry 10:22 amother) you have to be really, really sure of what you're taking and that the doc knows what s/he's doing.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 8:45 am
PinkFridge wrote:
When one goes to a naturopath, who offers all sorts of lovely supplements, etc. (sorry 10:22 amother) you have to be really, really sure of what you're taking and that the doc knows what s/he's doing.

Check out the link Dr. Hyman is a regular MD. He's very well- respected. Definitely not a naturopath.
Here's the info:
As Dr. Hyman says, "the future of medicine, available now." Functional medicine moves beyond diagnosis-based medicine to incorporate new research that for the first time allows treatment of the underlying causes of disease. A broad range of treatments help restore and optimize normal function and health, including conventional therapies, herbal treatments, and alternative methodologies in one encompassing, patient-centered approach.

In his work, Dr. Hyman applies the best of conventional and alternative medicine with cutting-edge science, placing him at the forefront of progressive medical care and education in the United States . A strong and pioneering voice for change in the fundamental way health care is perceived and delivered, as well as for a new paradigm for physicians, he has launched an innovative approach that taps into years of medical research that has not, until now, been translated into clinical practice in hospitals, homes, and the community.

Dr. Hyman is the Editor-in-Chief of Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine , the premiere peer-reviewed professional journal in the fields of integrative medicine and alternative medicine; and is the Medical Editor of Alternative Medicine Magazine , which is dedicated to helping consumers improve their health and the quality of their lives. He is on the editorial board of Integrative Medicine : A Clinician's Journal.

Dr. Hyman has testified regarding health promotion and wellness for the White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine and has consulted with Surgeon General Richard H. Carmona on his diabetes prevention initiative.

Dr. Hyman was co-Medical Director for eight years at Canyon Ranch Lenox, one of the world's leading health resorts; and co-authored the New York Times -bestseller Ultraprevention: The 6-week Program That Will Make You Healthy for Life (Scribner), winner of the Books for a Better Life Award, which honors the best self-improvement books published each year.

He is also author of The Five Forces of Wellness: The Ultraprevention System for Living an Active, Age-Defying, Disease-Free Life (Nightingale) and creator of The Detox Box (Sounds True), a unique, easy-to-follow program designed to help people significantly rejuvenate their health and vitality by cleansing their bodies from toxins in the environment, diet, and spirit.

A guest on the Today show, The Early Show, and The View with Barbara Walters, Dr. Hyman has also appeared on CNN, FOX, PBS, and NPR, as well as many other television and radio stations. He is quoted regularly in leading consumer magazines including Elle, Fitness, Glamour, Family Circle, Health, Natural Health, Self, Shape , and Town & Country.

Dr. Hyman serves on the Board of Directors and faculty of the Institute for Functional Medicine, a pioneering educational center for training health professionals in the science and practice of nutritional biochemistry, molecular medicine, and preventing and treating the diseases of aging. He is on the Board of Advisors and faculty of Georgetown University School of Medicine's Food as Medicine training program.

A popular lecturer, Dr. Hyman speaks on a wide range of topics, including natural approaches to common health conditions, optimal health, cardiovascular health, menopause and women's health, brain wellness, obesity and weight loss, optimal aging, and longevity medicine. His website, www.drhyman.com, empowers health care consumers and practitioners, enabling them to benefit from the wealth of information and scientific articles he has gathered on the fundamental causes of illness, wellness promotion, vitamin and herbal supplements, and more.

Earlier in his career, Dr. Hyman worked as a rural family physician in the mountains of Idaho, and in China as the Medical Director for development and planning of an international medical center in Beijing . He also consulted in Hong Kong on medical centers for expatriates in Asia . Before joining Canyon Ranch, Dr. Hyman served in an inner city emergency room in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Dr. Hyman graduated with a B.A. from Cornell University , magna come laude from the Ottawa University School of Medicine, and from the University of San Francisco 's program in Family Medicine at the Community Hospital of Santa Rosa. He is board certified in Family Medicine, and resides in western Massachusetts with his family.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 8:48 am
The link there doesn't work. It's:www.drhyman.com
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise