Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Need advice re: computer upgrade

punktfarkert

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 8:28 pm
I have a Mac (laptop) that is rapidly aging and desperately needs to be replaced. A new computer is an investment & I am having such a hard time deciding whether to get a new mac or switch to pc. My last computer was a Dell, and I'm very familiar with both platforms, so that's not an issue.

I chose a Mac last time around because of the lower rate of succumbing to viruses, trojans, etc., but DH said that if you use the internet responsibly and avoid [filth] etc., then you don't have to worry too much on a PC.

For work, it would be a little easier if I switch to a PC for compatibility, but I've been fine on a Mac, so it's not necessary.

I know someone who got a relatively well-rated PC a year ago, spent a pretty penny, and has had three major crashes where everything had to be backed up, hard drive wiped and reinstalled. This has never happened to me on my Mac, which is probably about 5 years old by now!

I primarily use the computer for internet, email & office - word, excel & powerpoint - and music/movies, but no fancy software for graphic design, editing movies/music. It's very important to me though that the computer can function well with numerous programs running - I am a master multi-tasker!

Advice??? (Advice appreciated regarding Mac/PC as well as specific laptops) Thanks!

Plonis

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 9:16 pm
You could also consider putting some money into your Mac - upgrade the hard drive and add more memory, get a newer version of OS X, and your Mac may be good for quite a while yet.

Personally, I found Macs to be significantly better at multi-tasking, although I hear that Linux is even better!

punktfarkert

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 3:51 am
Plonis wrote:
You could also consider putting some money into your Mac - upgrade the hard drive and add more memory, get a newer version of OS X, and your Mac may be good for quite a while yet.

Personally, I found Macs to be significantly better at multi-tasking, although I hear that Linux is even better!

Thanks. We have a friend who is a mac computer technician and we approached him about upgrading the computer. He said that after this many years, if I'm going to shell out $$$, I might as well get a new machine. Now time to decide which one...

Plonis

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 1:17 pm
Look, from me you're not going to get much variety in answers - I'd say go with a Mac. You can even trade in your old one (with some stores) to get money off (expect it to be worth $200 or so trade-in probably). (Typed from my MacBook Pro)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics