Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Recipes for a (relatively) large crowd

SV

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 6:35 pm
OK, we are not hosting 40 people, but we are having at least 9 adults at each meal. Please share your tried and true Pesach recipes that are filling for a large-ish crowd.

Thanks!

shirafruma

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 8:00 pm
How about turkey with mashed pot, a sweet pot kugel and an apple buttternut squash stuffing??

I will post the recipes if you want.

allergypro

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 8:39 pm
can u post the sweet pot kugel recipe please?tia

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 10:16 pm
Are you serving chicken? What cut? Meat? Roast?
Would you like to serve potatoes, sweet potatoes, baby potatoes, quinoa?
Do you need recipes for Cholent? Egg noodles for soup?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 10:17 pm
shirafruma wrote:
How about turkey with mashed pot, a sweet pot kugel and an apple buttternut squash stuffing??

I will post the recipes if you want.

oooh, can you post the stuffing recipe? that sounds delicious!

downsyndrome

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 10:56 pm
You can cook a large roast and then slice it and get as many portions as possible. You can also 'dump' lots of minute steaks over sauteed onions 'n carrot shreds and cook it for several hours and it'll be soft as butter and delicious too!
You might want to do mashed potato blintzes as a side dish. It's kinda' like doing arts 'n crafts with all the flipping of the egg lakshen, but if you can do it ahead of time, then it's a great filling food.

shirafruma

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 10:57 am
Kosher L'Pesach Sweet Pot. Kugel

4 large sweet pot.

4 eggs

3 oranges squeezed

1/2 cup or so orange zest (depending on how much you like orange)

mash sweet potoatoes, mix all ingrediants together, bake until brown on top

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 1:38 pm
Main: roasted chicken (I'd get a whole bird than pieces, that way you can stretch to serve more guests and less waste), meatballs in tomato sauce (reheats beautifully for the second day, can be made beforehand)
Side: roasted potato (less labour intensive than potato kugel), baked sweet potato, ratatouille (can be made and frozen in advance), sweet-and-sour carrot/celery, cucumber salad, beetroot salad
Dessert: fruit salad, store-bought biscuits/pastry/brownie (sorry I don't bake pesachdik, and noone likes macaroons here), jello in cups, chocolates

Is that for lunches as well? For lunch, I'd serve something light and milky, avocado salad, coleslaw, egg salad, various cheeses, potato salad, beetroot salad, tuna salad. Crustless quiche (more like baked omelettes) with grated courgettes. We usually do buffet style for lunches if we have more than 6 adults, and use disposals.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 1:43 pm
What's the recipee for the sweet and sour carrot/cellery?

MiamiMommy

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 1:56 pm
shirafruma wrote:
Kosher L'Pesach Sweet Pot. Kugel

4 large sweet pot.

4 eggs

3 oranges squeezed

1/2 cup or so orange zest (depending on how much you like orange)

mash sweet potoatoes, mix all ingrediants together, bake until brown on top

Do you put this in a round pan?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 2:04 pm
Sweet-and-sour carrots/celery
4-5 large carrots
1 bunch celery, ribs separated and scrubbed well
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 tbsp oil
salt
3 tbsp sugar (you may want to add some more depending on how sweet the carrots are)
juice from 2 lemon (we like it tart, you may want to reduce)

Peel and slice carrots in 1" disks. (You may want to cut them in half first if they're big). Remove hard stringy bits of celery ribs on the bottom with a peeler or a knife. Chop in 1.5" chunks. If using tops, soak and check for bugs, keep separate. Heat oil in a large sauce pan with a lid, sautee onion, carrots and celery for about 5-10min till they somewhat wilt but without burning. Add 1 cup of water (or part water) and season lightly with salt. Cook covered for 20min till vegetables are soft, then add sugar. Turn off heat and add lemon juice. Taste to check the seasoning. Toss in chopped celery leaves/tops if using. You can also sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon or parsley leaves (but not both) before serving.

This can be served warm or at room temperature. Enough to serve about 12-15 people as a side dish. Unfortunately this doesn't freeze but you can keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.

shirafruma

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 2:14 pm
MiamiMommy,
I would put in a square pan..and it freezes amazing also.

#1cook

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 12:57 pm
I have guest by day meals and we are 6-8 adults plus 8-10 children depending who comes I always make potato blintzes and baked apples both very easy and filling.

Potato Blintzes

I make and freeze the crepes in advance defrost and fill erev yom tov stays fresh in fridge 3 days

when you make your egg lakshin make extra crepes to fill

boil potatoes in water drain and mash well saute onion in oil add to mashed potatoes add salt & pepper mix well if to dry add more oil fill crepes with potato mixture roll like blintzes

Baked Apples

I prepare this about an hour before men come home from shule and place in the oven when my husband walks in the door so it is served hot I make 12 apples so get 24 halves and it takes me 30 min.

you can make this in advance and reheat on yom tov but it tastes so much better fresh and so little time to prepare it is worth making it fresh

peel apples cut in half roll rounded side in oil then in a mixture of nuts and sugar to coat place on greased cookie sheet and bake 30 min

#1cook

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 1:19 pm
very easy and refreshing dessert

I like to make 3 colors and layer it in a 9x13 pan looks very nice when serving or I cut oranges/lemon/grapefruit in half remove the inside and fill with orange/lemon/grapefruit ices looks so cute when serving

lemon ices
2 cups boiling water
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2-3/4 cup lemon juice

dissolve salt and sugar in boiling water cool add lemon juice freeze over night remove from freezer and beat with hand mixer return to freezer

if layering in a 9x13 pan pour into pan after beating freeze 1/2 hour in between layers

other flavors to try:

grape:
1 1/2 cups boiling water
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup grape juice
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tbs. lemon juice

orange:
3 cups boiling water
1 cup sugar
3 cups orange juice
1/3 cup lemon juice

grapefruit:
4 cups boiling water
2 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups grapefruit juice

orange pineapple:
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups orange juice
2 cups pineapple juice
1 Tbs. lemon juice

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 5:34 pm
For roasted potatoes, you can cut them in chunks (1 large potatoes into about 1/8) and parboil for about 8 minutes in salted boiling water. This cuts roasting time. You can also parboil potatoes a day before and keep them in a plastic bag. Add oil and seasoning (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic is my standar) to the bag and shake well, then just roast in a foil pan.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics