Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
ALL MY YOMTOV READING MATERIAL - THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!
Previous  1  2

freidasima

Post Mon, Mar 29 2010, 9:49 am
I wouldn't finish it in a year! Between cooking, cleaning up, setting table for next meal, shul, sleep, etc.? Who has time...

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 29 2010, 2:28 pm
I used to be an avid reader. I loved to absorb myself in books. but since I became a mom, I barely read anything good. I just dont have the time...so I just read magazines, which I can get through quickly...

curlyhead

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 9:37 pm
Quote:
Would only take me a few hour. Maybe a day.
I don't get the magazines but sometimes someone gives me their old ones. I could read like 5 magazines and a novel easily in 1 shabbos - if my kids let me. Yomtov I find there is less time to read then shabbos.

You are right! I only read abot 20 pages. We were on such a late schedule, sleeping in, shul starting very late, very late lunch.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 10:47 pm
I read all 3 story supplments and the binah!

happyone

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 11:26 pm
With all the rain we got over yom tov, there was plenty of reading time that we were rained into our homes.
I finished all that plus a new novel, plus plus...

Butterfly

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 11:44 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
How many hours do you reckon this will take to read??? How much of it will I actually remember in a week from now? LOL!

No 'Blatt'?
Lamah lo??

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 11:48 pm
LOL at the Blatt post. My husband has some sort of Yiddish language thing that had some interesting headlines (that's the extent of my Yiddish reading) and I actually wished I knew more so I can read it - sounded interesting!!! I did read some of the Mishpacha supplements, a novel, and almost done with the second book. I 'released' my kids into the backyard with bikes and doll carriages, and sat on the porch reading!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 1:23 am
Butterfly cuz I aint an Aroni!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 1:35 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Butterfly cuz I aint an Aroni!

If the emoticons would be enabled for my phone, I would put the eye roll at that one. Gimme a break.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 8:56 am
I have other reasons for not buying Der Blatt, but I can't discuss them openly. I Pmed you and Butterfly.

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 7:43 am
MB-- I cracked up at that question about the Blatt-- obviously they don't know u Smile

MB- can you start a new thread on your thoughts on each one. I really wanted to discuss some of these supplements. Know what? I'll start-- u join!

Etonnemoi

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 11:42 pm
I barely scratched the surface.

Loved the Shidduch binah stuff and redemption thingies... (I knew most of the people profiled :-))

Read two amazing books: 501st, a military fiction (!!) by Karen Traviss; and Conspiracy of Kings, Megan Whalen Turner's new book.

Such a stolen pleasure.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 12:10 am
etonnmoi, how hard is it to write in the frum Jewish mindset, after enjoying a really well written secular work (like the ones you just mentioned)?

Scotty

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 12:41 am
(Caught me borrowing etonnemoi's username again.... got to get used to posting under my own name instead of borrowing a friend's! LOL. Okay, I'll be good from now on.)

It is hard. I guess I just try to emulate what I like best, and keep on reading - and learning. I *wish* I could write like my fave authors. But yes, it's really hard, because the hardest part of writing "Jewish" is constantly keeping the paranoia fresh. You have to write with the most hardline of readers haranguing you over your shoulder, because they can write letters and make your life miserable. Thus the disclaimers, the wracking the brains over delicate word changes, the linguistic considerations of verbs, the weighing of implications and comments. Anyone who thinks writing is a low-pressure job should try writing for the Jewish market. :-) But it's really, truly an honor always. I like to think that I'm doing something (marginally) spiritual while earning a paycheck!

Tova

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 12:48 am
Do you get shown every letter to the editor that comes in regarding your work? Do you get an opportunity to respond to anything you want?

Scotty

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 12:01 pm
Every letter.... well, most of them, I think. I'm woefully behind on answering them personally - each one is so precious, I really want to send back a personalized email - it just becomes the last thing on my list, unfortunately. Actually, I was hoping to get to that tomorrow... we'll see.

Responding via Binah, though - no, that's usually the editor's prerogative. Usually they request an answer to incendiary letters (which is always, always, ALWAYS the hardest thing to write.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room