Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Having a hard time with #2

amother

Post Sun, Apr 25 2010, 2:02 am
My DS is 90% trained for #1, he usually tells me when he wants to go and goes by himself. My problem is that he's afraid to make a BM. I'm at my wits end, since he made numerous accidents over shabbos. I'm training him for the past 2 weeks and thought that it'll get easier not vice versa.

Any suggestions how to encourage him about making #2 in the toilet? NOT in the pullup/pamper.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 11:33 am
He shouldn't be wearing other than a shirt for a couple of days if you seriously want to train him. If you're worried about accidents then get those waterproof diaper covers and that's all he should be wearing. He'll train much more quickly that way.

Ezrachar

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 11:11 am
I hate to disagree with merrymom, but I definately wouldn't advise putting him 8in a diaper cover, how is that different from a diaper? my son notices no difference.

OP how old is your son? That is something t hat is VERY important to know. Also, something may have happened to make him associate fear with BM in the potty. It will resolve itself. If he is telling you when he needs to go #2, then we have something to work with. If he isn't telling you, then he's not ready to train and I would suggest waiting. Pushing your child too early can make it harder to train. If he is ready to train then it should only take a few days.

If he knows when he has to go and tells you, but won't goon the toilet, then I suggest yoy put a diaper/pullup on him just to poop and then take it off. I know many kids who do this. You have to let him get over his feaar first or you'll just make it worse.

But I still think he's probably not ready if he has that many accidents.

6coop

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 11:17 am
I think that it's very common for kids to be afraid of making a bm in th toilet. Some kids even develop constipation at this stage, so at least be glad that you don't have that problem. Might he be less fearful of going in a potty instead of the toilet?
I personally wouldn't put a diaper on him. I know it's gross to clean up the accidents, but if he feels the accident more, then he'll be less likely to continue them. Just don't pressure him or make a big deal when he has an accident, and make sure that you have a huge treat/prize waiting for him if he actually goes in the toilet.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 9:47 pm
OP here:

My DS is 2.8 and I dont think he's too young to be trained. He's so well trained for #1 that it bothers me why he cant make a BM.

tzatza

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 2:15 pm
Ds is 3.4 and trained for #1 for months (dry at night, etc). But,,,,,#2 he will only make if I put on a diaper. He used to run away to the window to do it, now we were able to convince him to do it in the bathroom, but still only in the diaper. He perfectly understands all the concepts, is ver y very verbal, got to daycare, has older brother, etc, etc, but still will no do it on the toilet. He is very strong willed, though, and I wouldn't push it, but getting a bit frustrated that it is taking so long.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training