Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Israeli Girl Names
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

chavamom

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:08 am
In English, "Noach" is "Noah", pronounced more or less like "Noa".

chavamom

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:10 am
Does anyone use the name Techelet in Israel? I had friends that named their daughter that about 25 years ago and the consensus among the Israelis was "bad idea". The Anglos thought it was a gorgeous name. I'm out of touch these names to know if it's a name that has gained favor.

amother

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:16 am
My step-sister's name is Noa (she was born in E"Y). She came to visit us one summer & the camp enrolled her as Noah. She was very upset. Her sister had another very Israeli name & her BY wouldn't recognize that it was a name. They forced her to be enrolled with her first name (although everyone called her a nickname of the second.)

chavamom

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:20 am
OP - how about
Meital
Eden
Ma'ayan ?

MommyZ

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:24 am
Ruchel wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
It always surprises me when I read about how pouplar Noa is because it is my middle name and I was teased mercilessly over it in school- _____ Noa built a tevah. Maybe that doesn't sound so bad to adults but for a little girl being called a boy is not fun.

I wouldn't call that mercilessly... but still, Noa and Noach is not the same name anyway.

It was something I heard over and over again and it wasn't done in a friendly way. It was done in an a cruel insensitive way. Maybe you don't understand how humiliated I felt. I wished I was never given that name and to this day rarely use it. I prefer my first name. What the other said- in English Noach=Noah.

MommyZ

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:25 am
My daughter's name is Leora and she has a classmate Shlomtziyon. I don't know if either one of them are used in Israel.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:27 am
MommyZ wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
It always surprises me when I read about how pouplar Noa is because it is my middle name and I was teased mercilessly over it in school- _____ Noa built a tevah. Maybe that doesn't sound so bad to adults but for a little girl being called a boy is not fun.

I wouldn't call that mercilessly... but still, Noa and Noach is not the same name anyway.

It was something I heard over and over again and it wasn't done in a friendly way. It was done in an a cruel insensitive way. Maybe you don't understand how humiliated I felt. I wished I was never given that name and to this day rarely use it. I prefer my first name. What the other said- in English Noach=Noah.

Of course kids can be cruel. It's just I suppose that to me merciless teasing involves a LOT more (maybe that is a public school vs Jewish school difference, though it seems nowadays in some Jewish schools it's just as nasty).

MommyZ

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:28 am
Ruchel wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
MommyZ wrote:

Of course kids can be cruel. It's just I suppose that to me merciless teasing involves a LOT more (maybe that is a public school vs Jewish school difference, though it seems nowadays in some Jewish schools it's just as nasty).

To me that is just arguing semantics Smile. What is merciless to one may not be to another. It's all a matter of perception.

sunny90

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:59 am
I love Adirah...

grace413

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 6:36 am
Meital - was popular 20 years ago but I don't hear it for small kid now.
Eden - I saw a 7th grade classroom last year where 7 out of the 22 girls were named Eden.
Shlomtzion - Very rare, but Shlomit seems popular
Leora - mostly older people.
Techelet - Never heard of anybody with that name.

Moriah seems to be a popular name now.

My DD has a classic Tanachi name and while it may not be the height of popularity, nobody makes of fun of it.

I was also teased terribly (yes, I'm still too sensitive). My name is Yiddish and we lived places where Yiddish was as familiar as Urdu.

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 7:05 am
MommyZ wrote:
In Israel it's not a problem since we pronounce Noach with the "ch" at the end and we know it's masculine.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 7:25 am
Tamiri wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
love ashira.

hodiya, anael (might be french), noa

less religious but very pretty:
shani, maayan,
Do you love Ashira in Israel? I have heard Americans use it but I haven't heard it here. Reminds me too much of matza ashira for me to think of it as a name.

I agree with Tamiri. This is like Atara - an "Israeli" name people keep mentioning here that no one in Israel uses.

It reminds me of Aviva and Ilana - I have met very, very few Israeli born Avivas (and they are probably about 60) and I don't think I ever met an Israeli Ilana - but I know loads of Avivas and Ilanas from frum families in England, the US and Canada who thought they were giving an "Israeli" name.
My husband's grandmother was Atara but I don't know where she got the name, whether it was in Poland or here in Israel. Luckily, I never had to deal with it. I have a friend who has been in Israel since she was 9 or so, married to 100% Israeli and her daughter is Atara. I never thought about the other meaning, besides the decoration for a Sefer Torah before Imamother.
There are MILLIONS of Avivas and Ilanas here, but they are "older". I don't think anyone uses those names anymore but they were all over when I was growing up here. Now, it's Avivit and Ilanit. That reminds me of another name: Rotem. Row Them. Tow Them. Whatever.

The first time I heard Rotem, I thought they had said "rotev". Now THAT would be a weird name for a kid.

In DD's gan now, there's a Noa, a Noga and a Noya. I still don't know who's who.

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 7:30 am
Tamiri wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
In Israel it's not a problem since we pronounce Noach with the "ch" at the end and we know it's masculine.

I always wondered why it should be a problem here. Most people know the difference between a ches & an ayin.

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 7:37 am
lech lecha08 wrote:

In DD's gan now, there's a Noa, a Noga and a Noya. I still don't know who's who.
LOL

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 8:04 am
Sapir
Bareket
Hallel
Shani
Yifat
Ronit
Nitzan
Amit (ac/dc)
Tal/Tali/Talia
Ophir (ac/dc)
Sharon/Sharona
Shachar (ac/dc)
Chen
Bahr
Ohr (not as good as Ora)
Yarden (ac/dc cause in American Jordan is male I think)
Efrat

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 8:09 am
Is that Shani pronounced Shanee?

Also good for the AC/DC info on Yarden, because here (idk if it is still), Yardena used to be popular.

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 8:16 am
Yes, Shah-NEE. I think that's one way of saying silk. Tolaat haShanee is a silk worm.

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 8:19 am
Tamiri wrote:
Yes, Shah-NEE. I think that's one way of saying silk. Tolaat haShanee is a silk worm.

That's what I thought. I went to sem with a girl by that name. She was very particular about the pronunciation.

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 8:21 am
The common word for silk is "meshi". The singer Rita has a daughter by that name but no one else does.
Oh, also the name Noam, traditionally male, is used for girls. Rita has a daughter by that name as well.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 8:27 am
Tamiri wrote:

I thought it meant "scarlet"
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names