Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Neglect in the daycare

amother

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 6:40 am
My child got hurt in the daycare and a witness has told me, the teachers were sitting there chattng until my kid was brought to them all bloody. My dh says next time we should report them to the governmental services for child neglect (it was not the 1st time).
WWYD?

we are actually a small community where everyone is friendly to each other, there is the only daycare there..
but I'm pissed coz they don't really supervise them that well

4ofus

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 6:49 am
That's really horrible! Exploding anger
I wouldn't wait until there's a 'next time' to report them. If someone was neglecting my precious child after I trusted them with their care, I would not hesitate for a moment to take them down, small community or not.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 7:50 am
How horrible! I hope your child wasn't badly hurt.

It's usually best to try to address directly before calling in governmental services. Maybe you have already tried, especially because you say this wasn't the first time?

You might want to call the daycare owner for a meeting. Write up both your concerns AND what you would like to see done differently. Set a time when you will meet again to discuss how changes were implemented.

Hatzlacha!

4ofus

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 8:07 am
imasinger wrote:
How horrible! I hope your child wasn't badly hurt.

It's usually best to try to address directly before calling in governmental services. Maybe you have already tried, especially because you say this wasn't the first time?

You might want to call the daycare owner for a meeting. Write up both your concerns AND what you would like to see done differently. Set a time when you will meet again to discuss how changes were implemented.

Hatzlacha!

How will she know that they are telling her the truth? They can easily say that changes have been made and still neglect the children when no one's around.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 8:29 am
There are no guarantees. Calling in the authorities could also lead to changes being reported, but neglect still happening. Monitoring, whether from concerned parents, or from someplace else, would certainly be indicated. If another parent had shared the story, maybe both parents could find opportunities to watch, or maybe pop in for a surprise visit/early pickup.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 8:57 am
My heart goes out to you, but unfortunately I can't say I'm shocked. Is this a Jewish day care? I work as a therapist at a number of non-Jewish day cares, and I can see this happening at almost all of them. There are some warm, wonderful teachers, but most are overwhelmed, burnt out, and probably underpaid as well, even if they do love the children.

I would pull my child out of a place like that. I know you said there is no other day care, but this is probably not an isolated incident- just one you happened to hear about- and reporting them will not accomplish much (other than resentment on their part). Hug

amother

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
My heart goes out to you, but unfortunately I can't say I'm shocked. Is this a Jewish day care? I work as a therapist at a number of non-Jewish day cares, and I can see this happening at almost all of them. There are some warm, wonderful teachers, but most are overwhelmed, burnt out, and probably underpaid as well, even if they do love the children.

I would pull my child out of a place like that. I know you said there is no other day care, but this is probably not an isolated incident- just one you happened to hear about- and reporting them will not accomplish much (other than resentment on their part). Hug

that's what I was thinking. after reporting they will just treat him worse. I am reluctant to take him out of it, he loves it very much!!! they are nice, they just don't look after them properly.
As you said, a non-Jewish daycare is the same, + x-mas songs in December..

amother

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

that's what I was thinking. after reporting they will just treat him worse. I am reluctant to take him out of it, he loves it very much!!! they are nice, they just don't look after them properly.
As you said, a non-Jewish daycare is the same, + x-mas songs in December..

I'm guessing there are no other formal babysitting options where you live. Do you have a neighbor or a friend who is home with her own children and wouldn't mind watching yours as well? Or a retired
woman who loves children and would be happy to babysit in her home or yours? Sometimes these options are cheaper than the standard in-home babysitter.

Of course, you have to decide how much this bothers you. What if a child was chv's choking and needed immediate attention? Yes, every teacher has a lot of children to look after, bur it seems a little too hands off at this place.

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 3:01 pm
sorry I would still say get him out even if he loves it. how old is he? can he tell you what happens when you are not there? seriously they don't realize when a child is hurt? that makes me feel very sad. I would want someone at least half as protective as I feel toward my child.
I would also report it because how do you know it will get worse after reporting? if they love the kids it would not get worse. I would be concerned that it got worse if nobody says anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics