Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Teaching supplies/resources

tziviakayla

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 12:59 pm
We are homeschooling 5 of our children who are will be in Kindergarten, Third, Fifth, Sixth and Seventh grades.
We began last year using the k12 curriculum which the kids love (and dh and I do too!). However, I felt I needed more teaching tools and suppiles.

I found a great place when I searched online...Lakeshore Learning Store. When I did a store search, I found they are right near my in-laws house! You can purchase suppiles online or through their catalogue, however, if you are not near a store. They were SO helpful. We were even given a teacher/school discount on our entire purchase!

Does anyone know of any other teacher/school supplies stores that you have used? I really would like to supplement the materials we receive from k12.

tzipp

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 1:19 pm
Lakeshore is great, but expensive! Scholastic has a ton of stuff. National geographic does too, especially non-fiction related. A lot of it is super expensive, the prices are set for schools ordering through grants, but it is worth looking aroud and there are some things that are not as much. Also, you can subscribe to some websites that have printables: edhelper.com and enchantedlearning.com

SaraFR

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 9:25 pm
How did you get a discount on Lakeshore Learning?

Scholastic is good, you can register yourself as a school. They routinely do that for homeschooling families. You can use their bonus points program to get free books. They have a Teacher's Store where you can get sale books and you can buy from their book clubs.

Rainbow Resource is a tremendous homeschooling resource. It is a non-Jewish (but religious) resource so you may want to specify that what you are buying is secular but they have a catalogue of over 1300 pages and they sell almost everything. They also have great customer service and they are homeschoolers themselves.

I've heard great things about fun-books.com too.

Torah U'Mesorah and chinuch.org are, of course, worth mentioning.

Was this what you meant?

tziviakayla

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 9:34 pm
SaraFR wrote:
How did you get a discount on Lakeshore Learning?

Scholastic is good, you can register yourself as a school. They routinely do that for homeschooling families. You can use their bonus points program to get free books. They have a Teacher's Store where you can get sale books and you can buy from their book club

We went into one of the Lakeshore stores last week. They had us fill out a form for their card (similar to the grocery store discount card.) We saved over $55! I don't know if it can be used online or through their catalogue, though.

I tried last year with Scholastic, but never received anything. The kids love their books, and I was hoping to use them as well. How did you register as a school?

SaraFR

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 12:20 pm
I called up Scholastic and asked about signing up for the Teacher's Store (you need log-in info?) and for the Book Clubs. I think it's a routine thing that they will sign you up as a school. When things get shipped to my school, it comes to my house so I don't have shipping on book clup orders. Try calling them and if there is any problem, please let me know and I'll try to give a better, more thorough answer.

Jay3fer

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 10:08 pm
I like Rainbow Resources. Their focus is very Xtian but they have a lot of "neutral" stuff, too, and that's been my source for most of our limudim klalim stuff. They sell "damaged" and end of line stuff for cheaper and the website automatically tells you if there's a clearance copy available. I like that, plus, they ship to Canada for not unreasonable rates.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 12:18 am
Jay3fer wrote:
I like Rainbow Resources. Their focus is very Xtian but they have a lot of "neutral" stuff, too, and that's been my source for most of our limudim klalim stuff. They sell "damaged" and end of line stuff for cheaper and the website automatically tells you if there's a clearance copy available. I like that, plus, they ship to Canada for not unreasonable rates.

They are also wonderful at telling you if the items are Xtian in nature.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling