Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Thomas Edison State college
1  2  Next

m0m

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 2:03 pm
Anyone ever go to or know of the online TESC. Thomas Edison State College has online courses offered- all are I am pretty sure and they accept most credits from all over so I was wondering if anyone has gotten a degree through them or been through their online coursework.

zipporah

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 3:10 pm
m0m wrote:
Anyone ever go to or know of the online TESC. Thomas Edison State College has online courses offered- all are I am pretty sure and they accept most credits from all over so I was wondering if anyone has gotten a degree through them or been through their online coursework.

Had a friend do the degree. They gave credits for some of his Yeshiva studies. You can also test out of credits through CLEP or GRE testing. Accredited. Eligible for financial aid.

You may also wish to check out Excelsior in New York. Same type of school.

JollyMommy

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 3:15 pm
my Maalot degree is actually from Thomas Edison. I went on for higher education at regular, secular colleges and was accepted at everyone I applied to. it hasn't given me any problems.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 3:46 pm
I have a Thomas Edison degreen in Computer Science through Maalot. b'h I've gotten jobs with it (although my first job was through a Maalot professor).
I was accepted to Johns Hopkins Engineering School with my Thomas Edison degree.
They accepted a wide range of credits from many different communty colleges, my seminary (which is accredited), and cleps. I got my degree in 2 semesters + 2 summer semesters.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 3:48 pm
I'm a student at TESC now, taking online courses.

If you have any questions post it here and I'll try to answer them.

amother

Post Sat, May 05 2012, 10:21 pm
How does Thomas Edison State College worK? Do you have to take a certain number of courses through them for them to grant you a degree or can you bring lots of credits you aquired elsewhere towards your degree with them???

amother

Post Sat, May 05 2012, 10:32 pm
I got my BA from TE. You don't need to take any courses with them. I used sem credits, CLEPs, the NYU language test (Hebrew, 16 credits!).

eschaya

Post Sat, May 05 2012, 10:49 pm
I used TESC to get my undergrad degree (general science and mathematics) using credits from tests (CLEP, dantes), AP, Maalot, and community college. This allowed me to get into a good master's program at a respected university. It won't work for everyone, but it worked for me.

amother

Post Sat, May 05 2012, 10:58 pm
I got my degree through thomas edison but I was guided by Raizel Rite. No idea how she spells her name.

In any case most my credits where from clep and other sources. Did the NYU language tests which got me about 8 credits just for taking tests.

I went on and got my social work degree through wurzweiler.

You can ask them what's the max you can bring in and try to get some from clep first. I think I only took maybe ten credits or so from them and in those days I didn't do it online. Correspondence.

amother

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 12:39 am
eschaya, why would this not work for everyone? Do you mean about being able to be disciplined to take the tests? And people never have a problem getting into graduate school (Master's programs) with this degree?

groisamomma

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 12:43 am
Don't take any of their courses. I did and they were very hard and tedious. Just take them from Raizel Rite or anywhere else and transfer. They used to take all transferred credits, not sure they still do.

Shif

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 1:25 am
I'm just finishing up with Thomas Edison, through Thomas Edison. I guess it depends on what you want to study, but found the classes to be very doable (except Statistics!!). I brought over 100 credits (from 3 diff. universities) and I am finishing with my BA in psychology in under 6 months- would have taken close to 2 years in a traditional university. I found that the classes were structured well, as well as being very accommodating b/c you don't need to log in at any specific time- ever. Is it hard? Well, yea- it's college level course work, but definitely not impossible. I have had a good experience with them. I would suggest that if you need to take a class like statistics, and you are not familiar with it, take it at a community college first- b/c you are essentially teaching yourself. You can PM me if you have any other questions.

amother

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 1:29 am
I also had that issue with statistics which I took the clep or such test. I purchased a DVD set to learn statistics. It cost me about 500 dollars but I was able to resell it on ebay. This was more than ten years ago but that's how I got around the statistics issue.

lst

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 3:01 am
I also got my degree there ultimately through Maalot. But I brought credits from seminary, a few college courses offered in my high school (including a very doable statistics class-not easy, but not terribly hard), CLEPS and the NYU language test.
I did it in a year because I had all those additional credits. I also got into a respected Master's program.

wife2

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 3:31 am
I got my degree through Thomas Edison. I did all transfer credits from different sems and colleges, and some courses through cleps and Maalot. I got into good Master's programs and didn't have trouble being accepted with that degree.

m in Israel

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 7:18 am
I got my B.A. through Thomas Edison, and had no trouble getting into a good master's program. However I do know a few people who had trouble getting into competitive programs in other fields. Officially it was accepted, but if the program was hard to get into in the first place, a Thomas Edison transcript wasn't pushing them to the front of the line!

One thing to check out if it applies to you is that it may not be recognized in Israel. I don't know if that's true, as I have not been working in my field since our Aliyah, so I haven't attempted to get my degrees recognized, but someone here told me that it may be a problem.

I don't know if it changed, but when I got my degree (12 years ago), they did not require you to take any credits at all by them -- it could be all transfer credits.

amother

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 8:28 am
Is there any financial aid except through FAFSA, I.e. any merit scholarships?

Shif

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 9:28 am
as far as I know, there are no grants or scholarships offered by TESC, only FASFA. You could always look for private grants/scholarships though.

amother

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 10:20 am
I also got my degree from TESC a few years ago. I started in my 2nd year of seminary and came straight home and started a very prestigious graduate school, who had no problem accepting me (straightening out the credits was difficult, but they had no inherent problem with TESC itself).

One word to the wise, and I don't know if it's been said yet, but Touro and YU schools DO NOT like Thomas Edison degrees (because they know exactly what they are), and most people (myself included) do not get accepted into these schools (not just the very Jewish branches) who have a Thomas Edison degree. To the above poster who went to Wurzweiler- did they give you a hard time? My friends who tried to apply there got yelled at by the admissions office for even THINKING of applying....

bigmomma

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 11:24 am
The jewish schools know what the degree is so they don't like it. I think it's the perfect degree because it's not all cleps and other tests like TTI-you have that but you also have some real grades either from online classes, correspondence classes or actual college classes. I think if you are going for a job it could get you in the door and then once you're in the field, your experience builds upon more experience and your degree is secondary. I see this as a great option. It would help if someone could find out if it's recognized in Israel. I mean it's not a first choice degree, normal 4 yr. college degrees are best but if someone is a bit older or has more life/work responsibilities that don't allow for 4 years ,this is superb!!! Does anyone think you can make a mistake by combining everything into the Thomas Edison State College degree??
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics