Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How 2 get 3yr old to stop staring

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 4:45 pm
I tried explaining that its not nice to stare or point and it makes the other person feel bad.
But hes young and he doesnt understand.
Is it possible for a 3year old to understand not to stare?
If so, what can I say to him
Every time he stares/points I tell him to put his finger down and that its not nice to stare
Doesnt help much

yfrh

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 5:06 pm
maybe you could put something in his hand so that he can't point at anyone. most people know that it is just a child learning about the world around him.
When they talk about others that makes it more difficult to Quiet, but acknowledging what they said without making it a converstion limits the situation.
Once when wanting to leave a store my child was facinated with an adult's purple hair and would not walk. She said "wow purple hair !!!" I answered "yes very nice color and it is time to go."

Lefty

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 5:16 pm
I also have a curious 3 yr old. She always points at strangers and talks about them loudly.
I tell her right then and there That its not nice to point at pple like that. She totally gets it.
I explain to her that it's not okay to stare at pple. Its not nice to look at them for too long, You can glance but not stare, She gets the difference. I show and tell.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 9:15 pm
My kids have seen me pointing subtly with my chin when very necessary and they've picked it up. My 4 year old has a tendency to stare long and hard and that is humiliating for me sometimes, but I see that it's a sensitivity issue. We've spoken about how it makes others feel and my other kids are more sensitive, but she still does it. I try to steer her away quietly when I can. I'm sure kids stop as soon as they are old enough to fully understand.

Blue jay

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 9:43 pm
How can you tell a 3 year old not to stare its part of their entire being! The world is a curious place.
Pointing however should be addressed. Talk to your child about strangers and that its not nice or safe to point or talk to people they dont know. You have it easier my 3/4 year old kids would give random people hugs. They even tried to hug the plumber!

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 9:50 pm
the title made me smile. Kids are so cute.....

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 11:55 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
How can you tell a 3 year old not to stare its part of their entire being! The world is a curious place.
Pointing however should be addressed. Talk to your child about strangers and that its not nice or safe to point or talk to people they dont know. You have it easier my 3/4 year old kids would give random people hugs. They even tried to hug the plumber!

that's hysterical !

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 3:41 am
ds stares and has been staring from about 12 months (now nearly 2 years old). I just distract him as much as possible and as he gets older explain simply that we don't stare. and, set a good example by not staring myself! I see lots of people who stare and its a really bad habit. I don't like to be stared at, I'm not on a runway or something!

Akeres Habayis

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 6:47 am
didn't notice if any of u live here in israel. the children stare, all the time. I get use to it. I hate it when the parent does nothing at all, except try and distract the child, instead of telling them, its rude to stare.

my dd has started staring and we clearly tell her, its wrong to stare, we remind her, how she hates when children stare at her when she is crying. we also tell her, its not nice b'klal. she gets it. one day she was staring at a frum black man on our yishuv shock, she obviously don't see he and I have something in common! I told her again, its not nice to stare. if she is sitting w/someone of her friends(all of 3yrs old) and they r staring she will say, "zeh lo na'im bklal!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics