Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Where in NY to buy a very nice bracelet?

familyfirst

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 9:19 pm
My husband is buying me a bracelet as a gift. I am willing to splurge a bit since this is an accumulated gift (a few b-days, anniversaries, babies) but would like to go to the most reasonable, HONEST shop. I am looking for something that I can wear every day, would look well dressed and not overdone.

Any ideas? I'm thinking basements in BP but have no idea who or where to go. Of course, it could be elsewhere as well. If you have had a good experience shopping for jewelry please post a response, and tell me the ballpark figure of what I can expect to pay for such a piece.

Thanks so much!

bubby

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 9:25 pm
If you can wait till after Succos, take cash & go to 47th Street in Manhattan. You get more bang for your buck there. Obviously, if you know a vendor it's better, but you can handle with them...business is bad these days so you can find some real bargains. Not everything is super-flashy & super-expensive. I have bought some beautiful pieces & never got taken even though I just walked in off the street. It's a lot of fun to look around there, too!

elf123

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 9:25 pm
I can't tell you anything specific about prices, but Molly Olshwang's in BP has beautiful stuff, good service and I'm pretty sure the prices are good.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 10:43 pm
Gold jewelry is very overpriced these days, as the price of gold is very high.
I would not buy anything right now, but if you really want something, check out quite a few stores before you decide as most jewelry is marked up double, triple, or even more than that.
Even on 47th Street, they are looking for the retail customer to come in and pay "full price".
So firstly you need to be very knowledgeable about quality of workmanship and quality of stones.
Otherwise you will be buying blindly. A poorly made item with poor quality stones is not a bargain at any price. With your eyes you can see if there is sparkle and shine. Shop and compare.
If you want something simple and classy, try to make sure you are getting what you are paying for.
If you choose something trendy, you are best off buying sterling silver which is much cheaper.
As styles change so rapidly, your money is better off invested and earning interest, while you wear a nice sterling silver alternative that looks like gold.
Hope this advice has been helpful; I am and have been in the jewelry business for a long time.

familyfirst

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 2:34 pm
Bubby-thank you so much for your response. I never even THOUGHT of 47th Street!

Amother, thanks for your advice as well. If I WERE to choose to buy gold at the moment, where would you suggest I look? I will definitely think about the sterling silver advice.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 2:37 pm
Amother - silver is crazy-high now as well.... how about plastic beads? I think they're still reasonable.

yentadevosha

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 2:39 pm
Feldman's Jewelry on 16th Ave, is an exeptional nice and honest person. I don't know about his selection though.

Tapuzi

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 2:40 pm
I'll second Mollys, they have a large selection and are well priced. I have bought a few things there and they are always a pleasure to deal with.

familyfirst

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:27 pm
Can someone please post the contact info to Molly Olshwang?

Thanks so much!

mama mia

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:49 pm
I don't remember going to Molly but I've heard she has nice things at more reasonable prices, as well. I tried googling the number on my phone but it didn't come up. I would also try Sendy Berger's Exclusive Creations on 18th ave 718-256-2280 and Kaufman's on 16th ave they both have beautiful things. Have fun!!

mama mia

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:52 pm
ok I checked online here's what I got for Molly (718) 871 - 4295

familyfirst

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:53 pm
Thank you so much! That was quick!!!

I'm still open to other suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks.

yummymummy

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 6:00 pm
I was going to suggest Exclusive Creations as well, they have a beautiful, well priced selection.

Simpson Jewelers and J Goldring have stunning pieces, but they can be expensive.

Prices can vary widely based on weight, craftsmanship, stones, etc. so your best bet is to shop around to get a feel for the prices of bracelets you like. Enjoy!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 6:19 pm
I work in Lower Manhattan and know most of the jerwelry stores nearby, if you want to look around and check them out.

I've also bought at macy's on 34th street and been really happy there - once you apply for their credit card and use coupons, you can get like 60% off.

Grandmama

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 6:36 pm
In Williamsburg there are a few jewelry stores, that specialize in bracelets in all price ranges, the reason being that every kalla gets one first, and not all can afford to spend that much. They have beautiful bracelets with diamonds starting at around $500.
Of course they will have plenty in the $1000 to $1500 range as well, and that will depend on style and quality. If you ask, say for a bracelet from "last year" you can get a significant discount, if its a piece they would like to move from their stock.
The customers there all copy each other, so that kallas usually get the same as their friends, and if the style changes, everyone wants the newer look.
I don't know if I can explain this to you in a few lines, what I mean to say is that things in Macy's you would never see in Williamsburg, because they are very up to the minute in unique and gorgeous styles, whereas Macy's sells the basics. Macy's marks up jewelry 500% and then they give "coupons and specials". Whatever you pay at the end, it is still triple the value, Macy's is in business to make money.
Just turn around and try to sell it. Gold is $35 a gram, if you want to sell it.
When buying, ask how many grams of gold you are getting, and what you are paying per gram.
Also ask about diamond weights, for a carat of diamonds you will pay a minimum of $1,000 to much higher for better quality. Other types of stones vary.
Never say how much you want to spend, and in the stores in Williamsburg they are used to it that everyone "bargains down" from the price on the tag, so they also mark it up an extra 20-30%.
If you don't ask, you don't get the lower price. Haggling can be done in many jewelry stores, it does not hurt to try. Remember that many of these bracelets have copies done in silver, selling for a fraction of the price. Try to find something unique, and something you really love at the price you are ready to pay.
Hatzlacha

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:03 pm
mama mia wrote:
ok I checked online here's what I got for Molly (718) 871 - 4295

In case you didn't try yet, that is the correct number (or at least the one I have stored in my cell Very Happy )

I agree that they have a beautiful selection, and are known to be honest. You can probably find better prices if you shop around a bit, but it's a good first stop if you plan on doing that- you'll get to see many styles, and they also have a pretty broad range of prices. I'm the kind of person who would rather spend big money at a store where the owners are trustworthy, even if it means paying a bit more. . . at least I can believe I'm getting what I'm paying for. (The diamond business in particular is notoriously shady).

enjoy your gift!

LadyG

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:11 pm
Here's another vote for Molly's. I've gotten jewerly there when I was single and recently my husband got me beautiful bangles. I love them! I got three bangles; yellow, white and pink gold. Diamond-cut, so it's shiny without the expense of diamonds. I've gotten so many compliments on them, even the cashier in amazing savings wanted to know where I got them! Enjoy your gift wherever you go!

abismommy

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:31 pm
And another vote for Molly's here. DH went there the to get me a necklace, many years ago, on the recommendation of a friend. W've been shopping there since and have been very happy.

bubby

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:45 pm
Have you thought about Uniquely Yours? It's super high-class costume jewelry that is real (ie gold) but not real diamonds (cz's or fake stones.) I bought something there & a woman who sells real stuff complimented me on my beautiful jewelry. She really couldn't tell! Some fancy-shmancy people buy there, I've seen them. It's off 13th Ave, in the mid-high 40's. Just don't buy a 4 carat ring, those are obviously fake!

Dobat

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 9:17 am
My husband owns a jewelery company - Isaacs Jewels. He is extremely honest, has a huge selection and will not be beaten on price. He is located in Brooklyn and if you wish he himself (not one of his workers) will do a house call, so you can peruse the selection in the comfort of your own home, Or come to the showroom, whichever you prefer. His name is Isaac and the phone # 718-839-5591. You can see his wide selection on facebook he has a group page - Isaacs Jewels.
website under construction!

G'luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics