Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Amen Allowed by MC Millman

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 12:42 pm
by Shabbos I had run out of reading material and borrowed this book from a neighbor. I have to say I was immensely entertained!!!! This is like the Jewish, kosher Sophie Kinsella. Everything was so funny, I was laughing throughout. Anyone read this?

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 12:44 pm
yes, I really liked it.

really funny, I think I even reread it

zigi

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 1:43 pm
I really liked it! she is a funny author.

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 5:34 pm
was the only book that got me to laugh in my 9th month 2 years ago.... I saw it in the grocery (I had borrowed the one I was reading) so I bought it. best purchase there ever! I still laugh

Raizle

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 7:35 pm
Yes I read it and it was funny.
There is a really bad mistake in the book however. The order of Brochos that he teaches the students is wrong!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 8:12 pm
yeah!! haeitz goes before haadama. I was suprrised there Smile

Raizle

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 8:27 pm
it's a pretty bad mistake and can be a stumbling block for someone who doesn't know better and follows this authors order without checking it out first.
I think it's a problem of brocho l'vatala since ha'adama cover ha'eitz and if you say it first by accident you aren't meant to say ha'eitz

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 7:52 am
Her books are so funny!

I don't remember that specific issue (I read this years ago)
to remember the context, but it's not a well known halacha that if you prefer a ha'adama over a ha'eitz, you DO say that first.

Here, I found it quoted for those who don't trust me:
Quote:
Interesting Exception: In truth, the difference between Ha’etz and Ha’adoma is rather small. Therefore, as long as you like the two items equally you would maintain the order and first say Ha’etz then Ha’adoma. If however you like the Ha’adoma food better, then in such a case your personal preference could override and you would first say Ha’adoma then Ha’etz. Moreover, this preference for the Ha’adoma could even override a “7 species” fruit. However personal preference could only override this level (Ha’etz and Ha’adoma), but all other levels remain objective.

(From http://www.berachot.org/halacha/11_order.html )

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 11:06 am
Mama Bear wrote:
by Shabbos I had run out of reading material and borrowed this book from a neighbor. I have to say I was immensely entertained!!!! This is like the Jewish, kosher Sophie Kinsella. Everything was so funny, I was laughing throughout. Anyone read this?

I've never read Sophie Kinsella. Sounds like an interesting comparison.
Ever read MC Millman's book Juggling Act? There was another really fun but I forgot.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 11:38 am
Juggling Act was the first of hers I read, and I found it hysterical. One Step Ahead was pretty funny, but I have in my mind a different story about a high school girl...

bnm

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 11:40 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Juggling Act was the first of hers I read, and I found it hysterical. One Step Ahead was pretty funny, but I have in my mind a different story about a high school girl...

the one that wins the lottery?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 11:48 am
Windfall, but I thought there was a different one...unless I'm mixing up authors...something about the girl and weight/food, or something like that?

bnm

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 11:49 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Windfall, but I thought there was a different one...unless I'm mixing up authors...something about the girl and weight/food, or something like that?

yes. the one about time saving with a clock on the cover

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 12:09 pm
bnm wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

yes. the one about time saving with a clock on the cover

One Step Ahead was great. Haven't read Windfall yet. And the one about time wasn't a comedy.

Raizle

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 3:10 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Her books are so funny!

I don't remember that specific issue (I read this years ago)
to remember the context, but it's not a well known halacha that if you prefer a ha'adama over a ha'eitz, you DO say that first.

Here, I found it quoted for those who don't trust me:
Quote:
Interesting Exception: In truth, the difference between Ha’etz and Ha’adoma is rather small. Therefore, as long as you like the two items equally you would maintain the order and first say Ha’etz then Ha’adoma. If however you like the Ha’adoma food better, then in such a case your personal preference could override and you would first say Ha’adoma then Ha’etz. Moreover, this preference for the Ha’adoma could even override a “7 species” fruit. However personal preference could only override this level (Ha’etz and Ha’adoma), but all other levels remain objective.

(From http://www.berachot.org/halacha/11_order.html )

I haven't got the time right now to check this out but either way I do remember the context in the book and this was a lesson the teacher taught to the whole class and was a general order of brochos.
There was nothing about personal preference.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:19 pm
it was a perfect book for wasting time and wanting to just read something light but I wouldnt say it was funny or good writing. just a normal book where a jewish author is trying to write something that will pass as a novel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room