Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Furnish or wait?
1  2  Next

lamplighter

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:54 pm
When you moved from an apartment to a house (or to significantly larger housing) did you furnish it when you moved in or did you wait till you needed all the rooms etc?

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 12:57 pm
We are furnishing as needed.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 1:08 pm
I think it would depend on your finances and how much you want to decorate in each room. You would need basics, but you probably have most of those already.

lamplighter

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 1:23 pm
Well table and chairs, our beds, a sofa, bookcases yes but do you leave all the other rooms empty?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 1:27 pm
What are the other rooms? Are any of them guest rooms? If so, a bed is good just in case you have a guest, but more then that for the room, whenever you're able to. A children's room, if you need it. If you have a specific way you want to decorate, go slowly so you can actually shop for what you want instead of just "throwing it in". Like I said, it also depends on your finances. The one and only time I went from a smaller place to a bigger place, I didn't need to buy more, I just spread out more. After we went to a smaller place Sad .

yo'ma

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 1:28 pm
My brother recently moved to a house and he invited whoever wanted to come, but he didn't have beds yet, so he was going to borrow/rent air beds. In the end, no one went then. He realized he would need beds for the guest room, so he got and then I think someone went.

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 1:59 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Well table and chairs, our beds, a sofa, bookcases yes but do you leave all the other rooms empty?

I left the rooms empty that I wasn't using at the time we moved in. With time, I bought a day bed for the 'guest room' and this and that.

Maya

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 2:09 pm
We furnished and decorated right away, even though we're only renting.

yummymummy

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 2:13 pm
my tastes are too expensive for my current budget so I'm waiting (for moshiach, it seems Confused )

SingALong

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 2:18 pm
I moved into my house with furniture already so I had the basics, kitchen table and chairs, master bedroom set, baby furniture, couch, and a high riser for the kids room. I got lucky that a cousin wanted to unload some of her old furniture so from her I got another 4 beds and 2 dressers. I put thos in the spare rooms with the dressers.
since I moved in, I just bought another couch for the playroom and a rocking chair for the baby room. I look forward to decorating and picking out nice furniture but now things are too tight for that...my girls have a closet with built in shleves so far that's enough for them...

I plan to do it one day slowly, bit by bit as needed, so I can really think about what I like and also not spend a whole lot of money at once!

Maya

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 2:32 pm
yummymummy wrote:
my tastes are too expensive for my current budget so I'm waiting (for moshiach, it seems Confused )

We learned to decorate right away within our means because we see family member who have empty living rooms because "they can't afford the $10,000 rug needed to start the furnishing/decor." I think it's stupid, but that's just me. So what if we only allow ourselves Crate and Barrel stuff? Or decide to go Ikea in order to have a complete office instead of a desk and boxes with books? We're enjoying our house completely. If we ever strike it rich, maybe we'll redecorate.

yummymummy

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 2:37 pm
Maya wrote:
yummymummy wrote:

We learned to decorate right away within our means because we see family member who have empty living rooms because "they can't afford the $10,000 rug needed to start the furnishing/decor." I think it's stupid, but that's just me. So what if we only allow ourselves Crate and Barrel stuff? Or decide to go Ikea in order to have a complete office instead of a desk and boxes with books? We're enjoying our house completely.

This is a personality issue, I can not bring myself to spend money on a sofa from Crate and Barrel when I "know" that I am going to get the one from Accentions by Design! Oh, well, this is what I get for ordering that subscription to Architectural Digest. To each his own and I'm glad you're enjoying your home.

Maya

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 2:43 pm
We subscribe to Architectural Digest too, but are realistic about our finances. You may get your expensive couch, but when? And what are you using in the meantime? And unless you plan to buy one in the immediate future, why not buy a cheaper one to enjoy now and exchange it for a better one later on?

I guess to each their own, in this case. But yes, we are really enjoying our house. Smile

yummymummy

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 2:51 pm
Maya wrote:
We subscribe to Architectural Digest too, but are realistic about our finances. You may get your expensive couch, but when? And what are you using in the meantime?

I guess to each their own, in this case. But yes, we are really enjoying our house. Smile

We got hand me down couches from family for the den and in the meantime the living room sits empty (with only my dreams to fill it). I've already gotten my dining room set so I know it will happen one day but for now I'm going to wait before furnishing the living room since I have other projects I want to tackle first, like central air/heat, budget permitting.

Maya

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 2:53 pm
Good luck. Decorating is fun. Smile

kitov

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 3:47 pm
yummymummy wrote:

are you me? <mirror>

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 3:56 pm
yummymummy wrote:

I've learnt to decorate within my budget (almost) and still with my taste. But I will spend hours looking for the right thing within my price range and will not give up until I find it. For example I wanted a specific day bed but it cost over $1000 just for the frame wherever I looked. I googled and spent hours searching for this bed, looking for sales, specials etc... I managed to get it for under $500 and it included the springs (forgot what it's called) for the daybed, plus a trundle frame, with free shipping and no tax.

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 3:57 pm
yummymummy wrote:
Maya wrote:
yummymummy wrote:

We learned to decorate right away within our means because we see family member who have empty living rooms because "they can't afford the $10,000 rug needed to start the furnishing/decor." I think it's stupid, but that's just me. So what if we only allow ourselves Crate and Barrel stuff? Or decide to go Ikea in order to have a complete office instead of a desk and boxes with books? We're enjoying our house completely.

This is a personality issue, I can not bring myself to spend money on a sofa from Crate and Barrel when I "know" that I am going to get the one from Accentions by Design! Oh, well, this is what I get for ordering that subscription to Architectural Digest. To each his own and I'm glad you're enjoying your home.
So you're going to lack a sofa for 6 years or whatever, because one day you'll maybe get the Accentuations sofa? If you'll be able to afford that, what's the big deal if you have another one until then?

yummymummy

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 4:00 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
yummymummy wrote:
Maya wrote:
yummymummy wrote:

So you're going to lack a sofa for 6 years or whatever, because one day you'll maybe get the Accentuations sofa? If you'll be able to afford that, what's the big deal if you have another one until then?

Did you read my follow up post?

imaima

Post Sat, Nov 06 2010, 2:48 pm
yummymummy wrote:

same here.. Rolling Eyes
..oh well, where has the shoe thread gone?*sigh*
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics