Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Going to Washington
1  2  Next

Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 6:38 am
I might be going to Washington DC in April, and as I have never been there, or in the USA at all for that matter, would really appreciate it if you could give me some advises/tips!
I would like to do some of my pesach shopping there, so where should I go? Also would like to go to a nice outlet, and I would like to know if it is possible to rent (for example at the air port) a mobile phone for a week? I will be staying near the White House, so any ideas on shuls in that area?
Thanks in advance for any input given to this firsttimer to the States Wink !

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 10:36 am
why not NY?? Smile

Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 10:40 am
well, we have to be in Washington for something, and I can't stay longer than one week, but I very much want to come to New York for 2 days - heard it's only 45 minutes by plane?
any advise/tips for NY will be much appreciated too!!!

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 10:52 am
Pnina!!! youre coming to the USA for the first time? to Washington! wow! will you rent a car so youd be able to get around? as far as a shul goes, I know theres a chabad house there, and you can find information about the shluchim at www.chabad.org

I really doubt you can rent a mobile phone, sorry...

are you going sightseeing? theres a holocaust museum there, and other things if youre interested...

Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 10:56 am
RG, thanks for that!
yes, I know about the holocaust museum, will go there, iyh.
I don't think we will rent a car, as it's only for a few days (I am going with my parents and sister), but will want to do things, so keep them coming, you locals!!!!

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 11:23 am
DC is not exactly local to us. Wink

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 11:43 am
It's not too hard to figure out what to see in Washington DC - the White House, the Capitol, the Mall, which has the Capitol on one end, the Washington Monument in the middle and the Lincoln Memorial at the other end. The Smithsonian Museum - there are a few; the ones that I personally found most interesting were the Air and Space Museum and the Museum of American History. The National Gallery, if you like art. the FBI, the National Archives, the Supreme Court and Arlington National Cemetary, if you have lots of spare time.

As far as Pesach shopping, to the best of my knowledge the closest Jewish community big enough to have shopping opportunities is Silver Spring, MD, but I don't know how you would get there and get around without a car. It might pay to rent one just for the day, go there and get your shopping done.

If you're shopping in Brooklyn and want to save the most money you can, go to KRM on 39th Street between 13 and 14 Avenue and Friedman's on 13th Avenue between 40 and 39 Street. For meat, if you don't find what you want in KRM, try Rubashkin on 14th Avenue and 43rd Street. These are in Boro Park. If you are in Flatbush, shop at Moishe's Discount on Avenue M and East 4th Street. There are probably other cheap places, but this is the one I know of in Flatbush.

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 11:45 am
oh boy, sarahd- you are like a living atlas!! people pay for this kind of info!

I love the air and space museum, been there several times.
I also like the tour of the white house, I always beep when they scan me.... Confused

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 12:09 pm
See, another advantage of belonging to Imamother - touring suggestions! A $30 value - yours free!

rydys

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 12:49 pm
you really don't need a car to get around washington bec. the subway system is very organized and on time. Most of my friends from washington go to baltimore to do their pesach shopping. You can take a train from washington (45mins) and then a taxi to seven mile market. If you are coming to NY anyway, KRM is definitely the cheapest (also known as the Kollel store). When I lived in baltimore, I used to go to NY to do my pesach shopping--even with travel expenses, it was still cheaper.

As far as a shul in washington, there is one frum neighborhood in washington, but I can't remember where it is. get in touch with chabad, they should know.

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 6:34 am
[quote="sarahd"]
If you're shopping in Brooklyn and want to save the most money you can, go to KRM on 39th Street between 13 and 14 Avenue and Friedman's on 13th Avenue between 40 and 39 Street. For meat, if you don't find what you want in KRM, try Rubashkin on 14th Avenue and 43rd Street. These are in Boro Park. If you are in Flatbush, shop at Moishe's Discount on Avenue M and East 4th Street. There are probably other cheap places, but this is the one I know of in Flatbush.[/quote]

sarahd - WOW shock I get dizzy just from reading this! printed all your info out, and will clutch it in my hands when I will get there, iyh!

much much appreciated!!!!! to all of you!!!

I definately hope I will be able to come to NY for 2 days!

Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 07 2005, 10:36 am
here I am again....with a little shallow question...

what does one wear for a formal reception, dinner, with hot-shots etc? I know what goes here, or in israel, but what's the deal in the states?
and looks like I also might go to new york, also for shabbos, so any suggestions on that would be much appreciated too!

supermom

Post Mon, Mar 07 2005, 11:12 am
sorry can't help with helpful tips but please send my regards to the white house and no not to the president.

gryp

Post Mon, Mar 07 2005, 11:12 am
hot-shots? Pnina- you mentioned youre staying near the white house, what kind of hot-shots are we talking about? perhaps President Bush himself?

micki

Post Mon, Mar 07 2005, 12:28 pm
you can buy a prepaid mobile cell phone in walmart.
its disposable. so when your done- done

amother

Post Mon, Mar 07 2005, 5:31 pm
Quote:
what does one wear for a formal reception, dinner, with hot-shots etc

Pnina classy suit since that what laura dearie wears. Oh not the minis though embarrassed

supermom

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 12:01 am
micki wrote:
you can buy a prepaid mobile cell phone in walmart.
its disposable. so when your done- done

I never knew something like that exsisted. man what they come up with these days! Confused

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 3:52 am
supermom wrote:
please send my regards to the white house and no not to the president.

that won't be a problem! Wink not my favourite person on earth either!

micki, thanks so much for the tip, will do that!

RG, there will be ambassadors and white house staff, but not the pres I hope!!

who's laura dearie????

cutiesmom

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 4:02 am
As far as outlet shopping goes, one of the Mills malls - Potomac Mills - is 1/2 hour south of DC and on the way to Baltimore/Silver Springs. You can look up their info at potomacmills.com. The only problem with the Mills malls is that there is never enough time in the day to hit all the stores.

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 4:17 am
If it's an evening reception, then a cocktail dress might be more appropriate.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics