Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How can I get my DD to sleep less?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 10:47 am
My DD, aka Sleeping Beauty, is 8.5yrs old and she needs solid 11hour plus sleep (unchanged from her toddler years). She goes to bed 8pm during the week which I don't think is that late considering her age, but it's really a struggle trying to wake her up at 7:30am. On weekends, she can sleep till after 9am unless I wake her up forceably.

Speaking to other mums, most girls in her class go to bed around 9pm but defiitely be up by 7am. She is going to get more homework, and we'll have a longer commute, so I'm desperate for suggestions that she can manage with slightly less sleep. I've been trying to get her to go to bed early--as early as 7pm but still she struggles to wake up at 7:30am. Bli eyn hara she's a healthy girl with no medical or nutritional conditions.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 10:56 am
I remember this study (a long long time ago) about older kids and hours of sleep. They honestly don't need more sleep, just to sleep in late. So 13 yr olds are better off sleeping from 11 pm to 8 am than from 9.30 to 6.30.

What happens to your daughter if she stays up later? Can she still wake up at the same time and feel fine?

Also, some people just need more sleep, in which case you may want to see what a doctor has to say about it...

Merrymom

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 10:57 am
If she has sleep apnea cv" or allergies it can affect her quality of sleep so some people like that never feel fully rested. Does she sound kind of noisy (her breathing) while sleeping or wake up really congested? If she does then get her tested. Of course doctors will push all the medications in the world on you if she cv" turns out to have allergies and they only treat the symptoms temporarily, they don't help. PM me if you want some natural solutions (btdt).

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 6:48 pm
Peanut2, hmm an interesting point. I neve thought of keeping her late.
During summer shabbatot we obviously go to bed later than weekdays but she doesn't seem to sleep in too much. Unfortunately despite the research you quoted, I can't tel DD's school she's late every day because older kids function better if they go to bed late and wake up late....

Merrymom, no her breathing doesn't sound heavy/noisy and she's very much of a sound sleeper. Maybe she wakes up once in the middle of thenight to use the loo but she goes back asleep very quickly. Thanks for raising possibilities, though.

Merrymom

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 10:18 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Peanut2, hmm an interesting point. I neve thought of keeping her late.
During summer shabbatot we obviously go to bed later than weekdays but she doesn't seem to sleep in too much. Unfortunately despite the research you quoted, I can't tel DD's school she's late every day because older kids function better if they go to bed late and wake up late....

Merrymom, no her breathing doesn't sound heavy/noisy and she's very much of a sound sleeper. Maybe she wakes up once in the middle of thenight to use the loo but she goes back asleep very quickly. Thanks for raising possibilities, though.

Well that would rule out sleep apnea but not necessarily allergies. I am allergic to dust mites and other than extreme fatigue and some congestion in the morning before I was treated, there were no symptoms. It's worthwhile to have her get a regular check up with blood work and then see an allergist too.

saraleah2010

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 10:25 pm
some people just need more sleep. Myself, as an adult woman, even when I'm not pregnant, I'm a 9 hour gal.

The "average" healthy sleep time for adults is 8 hours. I know some people that sleep 7 and that suits them fine. I would be driving into other cars if I only got 7 hours a night.

As long as she's otherwise healthy, I would put her in bed a few minutes sooner and let her go her 11 hours so you can wake her a little sooner.

mamommommy

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 10:35 pm
I think that if her body needs the sleep then it's a bad idea to cut her off. Better to try to find out if there is a reason why she needs that much sleep. Definitely mention it to her doctor and see if there may be a medical reason.

There are so many studies about the effects of things like diet, exercise, light exposure etc.. and how they affect sleep. It's possible that your dd may need to make adjustments in those areas.

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 1:44 pm
Some kids are just not morning people. I myself have a really hard time pulling myself out of bed at 7 am, and I need to get my kids to school. I just do not function well at 7 am, even if I am in bed at 8. Its just the way I am wired.

Merrymom

Post Sat, Dec 18 2010, 8:52 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Some kids are just not morning people. I myself have a really hard time pulling myself out of bed at 7 am, and I need to get my kids to school. I just do not function well at 7 am, even if I am in bed at 8. Its just the way I am wired.

Or it can be a health issue that you're unaware of. Anytime an adult has unexplained fatigue it's a good idea to get a general check up/ allergy check.

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Dec 18 2010, 9:03 pm
Except for the part where I function fine at 10 am....

sugarplum

Post Sat, Dec 18 2010, 9:03 pm
. It could be she's perfectly normal and just needs a lot of sleep or maybe she's missing vitamines or something do that affect. I would try a nutritionist . ( I would strongly not recomend trying to get her to sleep less . If she needs the sleep , she needs it and trying to cut back will only make her not function as well in the day time)

ocean blue

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 9:09 pm
My oldest daughter now age 12 used to sleep a lot too, at least 12 hours. Since she was the oldest, she would go to sleep at 7:15 together with her younger siblings. In addition, she also took an afternoon nap until first grade. It used to drive me crazy, but now she is just fine. I think around the age of 9 1/2 she started sleeping less. Also I would advise you to start waking up your daughter at least 15 minutes earlier. Some people (like myself) can not get out of bed as soon as they wake up, but need more time to "land". Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children