Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Bath before Mikvah?

superjew

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:57 pm
So I was talking to my non-married friend who lives in Israel (I'm in NY) about the no/low water in Israel. She was saying how the people there wash the dishes without the water running etc, she doesn't take baths & stuff...I said ye, but what about mikvah? & bathing before the mikvah? She said that there are shower heads that can be removed & used well to wash *all* over.
I was just curious if this was the case. I didnt get into it with her because she isn't married & doesnt know all detailed halachas. I'm not sure about this detail myself. Is it necessary? Do women in Israel skip the bath?
I'm just wondering....

TIA

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 9:31 pm
You are aware that many people do not take a bath before using the mikva, right?

superjew

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 10:41 pm
Nope, thats why I asked. I guess I'm oblivious because thats what I learned & know. All my friends & family do so I never thought otherwise.
Sorry... Rolling Eyes

Inspired

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 2:33 am
I have not heard of anyone who bathes before tevillah stopping because of the water shortage, whatsoever. No one has suggested this as a way to save water or money in Life In israel (hope I can say that here). The Rabbanim who hold you cannot toivel without a bath still hold this.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:03 am
I always bathe at the mikva and no one told me to stop LOL

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:25 am
I imagine the amount of water need to take a 'proper' shower for Mikvah prep, far exceeds the amount used in a bathtub.

Seraph

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 4:32 am
I go to the mikva to take a bath there. It costs 5 extra shekel to have a room with a bath vs the 5 shekel less if you already did a bath at home. I prefer to pay the extra 5 shekel and have a bath at the mikva, so my water bill doesn't go up from pre dip baths. Its my one bath a month. :-D

Mommyme1

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 6:14 am
When I was in Lakeood in a Chosson-Kallah apt which only had a shower the Rav said to take an hour long shower in place of the bath (it was Erev Shabbos or I'd have taken a bath at the mikvah). If that's the other option I don't think I'd be saving any water by not taking a bath here.
And I grew up never leaving the water running while washing dishes - it went along with closing lights when you left a room and other such $ saving things, so I'm not sure how I'm gonna lower my water usage more now that it's getting so expensive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions