Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Can you believe this?
1  2  3  Next

gryp

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 12:37 pm
http://www.nydailynews.com/10-......html

Quote:
Girls' room his, too

Transgender men free to use ALL of MTA's loos

The line for the girls' room just got longer.
Men who live as women can now legally use women's rest rooms in New York's transit system under an unprecedented deal revealed yesterday.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority agreed to allow riders to use MTA rest rooms "consistent with their gender expression," the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund announced yesterday.

The group filed a complaint against the MTA on behalf of a 70-year-old telephone repair technician who was arrested for using the women's room at Grand Central Terminal.

The technician, who is assigned to the terminal by Verizon, was born Henry McGuinness but now goes by Helena Stone.

"I'm a 24-hour woman," Stone declared proudly. "I just feel like a woman and I like to wear women's clothes."

The MTA would not comment on the settlement but Stone's lawyer said it also includes mandatory transgender sensitivity training for MTA employees and a $2,000 payment to the technician for legal fees.

Michael Sullivan, Stone's lawyer, called the settlement of the complaint with the Human Rights Commission a "milestone" toward recognition of the city law that prohibits discrimination against transgender men and women.

But some Metro-North riders at Grand Central yesterday were stunned by the ruling.

"I would not like that," said Gloria David, a retiree from Connecticut. "I have nothing against gay men or drag queens, but they can use the men's room. I just don't want to go to the bathroom next to a man."

One rider feared predators might dress as women and lurk in the women's room.

But Rena Gantz, 23, a college student, shrugged off the settlement.

"It doesn't bother me because it is a reality," she said. "If they believe they are women, they should be treated as one."

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 12:40 pm
My friend who teaches in public school in a wealthy school district told me that her district got taken to court b/c the high school wouldn't allow 'transgendered male' to use the girls' bathroom! And the kid and his parents WON. What is the world coming to?

ButterflyGarden

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 12:46 pm
B"H We don't live in NY anymore. We spent our shana rishona there and I was shocked by some of the things I saw!! B"H we live in E"Y and will be bringing our children up without these issues.

gryp

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 12:47 pm
I think thats worse than the MTA bathrooms! not that I would ever ever consider going into one, but in a school where kids are all day and they eventually will need to use the bathroom.

ShiraMiri

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 12:51 pm
What's to stop any man from dressing as woman and using the ladies' room? That would be a great way for peeping toms to be able to violate women's privacy - hey, I feel like a woman, so why shouldn't I be in here? Does the law work in the reverse? Can women who feel like men use the men's restroom? If so, we all should avoid the ladies room lines and use the men's room! If I can have the same access to no-line bathrooms as men do - I sure feel like a man! These transgendered men are fighting for a 20 minute wait in women's bathrooms when they could have a zero minute wait using the men's room? They are confused about more than their gender!

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 12:57 pm
Being a transgender is a lot different than a man that just feels like dressing like a woman. I've watched tons of stuff on Discovery Health about this and it's really not so simple. These are men that are living their life as a woman - they generally get implants, take hormones, and eventually get gender replacement surgery. It's not done on a whim, they really feel like they're a female in a male body and by getting the surgery, they're changing their body to the way they feel it was "meant" to be.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 1:08 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Being a transgender is a lot different than a man that just feels like dressing like a woman. I've watched tons of stuff on Discovery Health about this and it's really not so simple. These are men that are living their life as a woman - they generally get implants, take hormones, and eventually get gender replacement surgery. It's not done on a whim, they really feel like they're a female in a male body and by getting the surgery, they're changing their body to the way they feel it was "meant" to be.

It's a real disorder, it's in the DSM.
A frum boy in our community just got divorced because he is about to undergo his transition from a man to a woman. He said he felt he was a woman inside since he was a little boy. It's a very sad story, and caused quite a to-do here. But there are real people out there who really feel like that inside.

(and you would never have known, he was hunky, athletic, amazing at hockey, it was pretty shocking)

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 1:16 pm
It's very interesting that you say he was very manly - a lot of the men in the documentary were good-looking manly men. People assume that transgenders are usually effeminate gay males, but sometimes they're not even gay.

carrot

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 1:16 pm
A lot of times you can hardly tell that they used to be a man.... They just look like tall, slightly masculine or overmade up, women.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 1:17 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
It's very interesting that you say he was very manly - a lot of the men in the documentary were good-looking manly men. People assume that transgenders are usually effeminate gay males, but sometimes they're not even gay.

He's not gay. He wants to find a nice frum girl to be in a lesbian relationship with him(her). He's attracted to women.

yersp

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 1:34 pm
only1 wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

He's not gay. He wants to find a nice frum girl to be in a lesbian relationship with him(her). He's attracted to women.

Puke

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 1:38 pm
Oy.

HappyPurim

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 1:47 pm
RivkyaBatya, what is different between NY and Israel, I dont know, personally I was in isreal a year ago, I would be afraid to bring up my kids there too, you dont know the difference between a israeli (not frum jew) and a arab, I was scared to go anywhere around there....
I dont think my kids are more exposed to things, versus your kids in Israel

happy2beme

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 2:24 pm
Quote:

I dont know if I should laugh or cry

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 2:30 pm
He also had his sperm frozen.

red sea

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 2:46 pm
On the bright side; at least everything will be halachically kosher Confused

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 3:04 pm
HappyPurim wrote:
RivkyaBatya, what is different between NY and Israel, I dont know, personally I was in isreal a year ago, I would be afraid to bring up my kids there too, you dont know the difference between a israeli (not frum jew) and a arab, I was scared to go anywhere around there....
I dont think my kids are more exposed to things, versus your kids in Israel

Most of the time, the difference between an Israeli and an Arab (at least to Israelis) is obvious. Most Israelis are not afraid to go anywhere.

Israeli kids may be more exposed and vulnerable b'gashmius, but the exposure b'ruchnius that American kids have is appalling.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 4:10 pm
red sea wrote:
On the bright side; at least everything will be halachically kosher Confused
How kosher, without chupah v'kiddushin? Mad

Quote:
Quote:
:

I dont know if I should laugh or cry

how about laugh and cry?

red sea

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 4:15 pm
Quote:

How kosher, without chupah v'kiddushin?

But they could have a wedding, they are a boy and girl, now couldn't they Question

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 4:22 pm
He'll have technically castrated himself though, after the surgery. I suppose halachically he will still be male though.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics