Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Can you believe this?
Previous  1  2  3

JRKmommy

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 6:41 pm
RivkaBatya - ever travel down the highway to Tel Aviv? Trust me, you'll find plenty of half-dressed girls and a lively gay scene there.

I think about aliyah, but I don't kid myself. Not everything there is 100% rosy.

Many newspapers in general only report sensational stories, not information about normal people. It's not an accurate way to measure a society.

It's not so easy to tell Arabs and Jews apart, which explains why the security issues are so tough. I remember dh attempting to give me some crazy advice about watching out for people speaking Hebrew with an Arabic accent. At the time, I was learning most of my Hebrew from his family - and they, being from Iraq, all spoke Hebrew with Arabic accents!

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 9:11 pm
Quote:
RivkaBatya - ever travel down the highway to Tel Aviv? Trust me, you'll find plenty of half-dressed girls and a lively gay scene there.

I think about aliyah, but I don't kid myself. Not everything there is 100% rosy.

of course not e/t here is 100% rosey. but I have been living here for 3 yrs now, and only just this past week went to tel aviv for the 1st time, on the way to somewhere else. when I lived in ny I took at least two trains every day and s/t's more and also buses. you cannot compare the exposure and the ability to live sheltered bet ny and yerushalayim (or other relatively religious cities in il). how can you even think of comparing taking a bus/train in ny to taking a bus in y-m?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 2:22 am
JRKmommy wrote:

This is a ridiculous argument.

If you want to compare, compare a frum community in EY with a frum community in NY.

I've said it already, but I'll say it again.
I live in a town with a mixed population (chareidi / dati/ non-religious). Not everyone dresses tzniyusly Sad at all. But my kids are not exposed to any media at all except a frum newspaper. They certainly know nothing about the controversy in Yerushalayim right now or what goes on in some parts of Tel Aviv.

ButterflyGarden

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 3:11 am
JRKMommy, I never go to Tel Aviv. My children will never go to TV if we can avoid it. Like I said, I'm aware that not everything here is perfect, but there is no comparison between here and there. Of course Newspapers only report sensational events, but think about this. There was a headline a few days ago in the paper here in Israel. "Carjacking in Tel Aviv!!" Our "worst city” and a carjacking in broad daylight makes headlines.

BTW, The police are petitioning the supreme court today to cancel the parade.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics