Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Eliyahu was Pinchas?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 10:42 am
That's what the rabbi said today in his shiur; I had never heard it before and wondered if everyone holds that way.....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 11:25 am
I don't know if people "hold" by midrashim as much as they believe in what Chazal say. I learned this, as well.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 11:35 am
It is widely accepted (in fact my cousin called his son, born during Parshas Pinchas, Eliyahu). They both were famous for their midda of kanaus (zealousness)
It says about Pinchas "tachas asher kinei lelokav, vayechaper al bnei Yisroel"
Because he was zealous about Hashem's honour, he atoned for the Children of Israel
And Eliyahu says "Kano kineisi Lahasem Elokai Tzevaos"
I was very zealous on behalf of Hashem

But there are also other opinions about which tribe he was from. Look in the midrashim.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 12:23 pm
Ah.

I could have just PM'd Mummyof6!

happy2beme

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 7:11 am
yup, learned this too

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 8:12 am
BTW, there are opinoins that it was a gilgul and not Pinchas still living...there are different ways to interepret the midrash.

binah918

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 8:55 am
Yep, I also learned this.

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 9:19 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I don't know if people "hold" by midrashim as much as they believe in what Chazal say.

Medrash IS Chazal! It is part of the Oral Torah which we accept along with the Written Torah.

"Said Rabbi Shimon ben Lakish, Pinchas is Eliyahu. The Holy One, Blessed Be He, said to him, you brought peace between Israel and myself in this world, so in the future you will bring peace between myself and my sons, as is written, "Behold I send you Eliyahu the Prophet before the arrival of the day of the Lord . . . and He shall reconcile parents with children." (Yalkut Shimoni).

Baal Ha'Turim says Pinchas is Eliyahu in his commentary at the beginning of parshas Pinchas.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 9:45 am
Motek wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I don't know if people "hold" by midrashim as much as they believe in what Chazal say.

Medrash IS Chazal! It is part of the Oral Torah which we accept along with the Written Torah.

"Said Rabbi Shimon ben Lakish, Pinchas is Eliyahu. The Holy One, Blessed Be He, said to him, you brought peace between Israel and myself in this world, so in the future you will bring peace between myself and my sons, as is written, "Behold I send you Eliyahu the Prophet before the arrival of the day of the Lord . . . and He shall reconcile parents with children." (Yalkut Shimoni).

Baal Ha'Turim says Pinchas is Eliyahu in his commentary at the beginning of parshas Pinchas.

I know. My point was that it's not like halacha where we have different poskim and we "jold by" a certain shitta. We believe in TSHB"P/medrashim/chazal and there are different interpretations of them, but we are obligated to believe in them.
I used midrash and chazal interchangeably instead of using the same word over!
Clear now?

MyKidsRQte

Post Fri, Nov 17 2006, 5:13 am
I also learned that Eliyahu Hanavi was Pinchas

Motek

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 6:03 pm
Targum Yonasan ben Uziel, beginning of parshas Pinchas, says Pinchas becomes an angel who will herald the Geula at the end of days, a.k.a Eliyahu.

ny21

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 6:12 pm
NY2434 wrote:
I also learned that Eliyahu Hanavi was Pinchas

I never heard of this.

Ozmom

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 11:52 am
the way I heard it recently is like this. Pinchas was first, so how come it says pinchas is eliyahu if eliyahu wasn't around yet? rather later on it should say eliyahu is pinchas.
its because when it came time for pinchas to act, a part of the malach of eliyahu (not sure if I'm saying this right but something like that) went into pinchas to assist him in doing what he had to do.

apparently thats one way its explained.

could anyone who knows better then me what I'm talking about clarify what I wrote? Drunken Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics