Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Alternative for Pinchas for birth certificate
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:09 pm
I'd use Phineas, it's got style somehow.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:13 pm
amother Blush wrote:
Why do people want a secular names on birth cert?

(Unless they plan on using it and calling child by that secular name.)

Otherwise, if every culture can have their own “Lasplashaniquemelonaise”, (because they were near a pool, eating melon and then saw a jar of mayonnaise nearby) then kal v’chomer, we, as Yidden can and should definitely use the names of our Mesorah.

I only put jewish their names on birth cert and am proud to do so.

(And if desired, one can always make up some random name to be called at work, (which is becoming less and less necessary these days). It does not have to be their “legal” name.)

Just IMO.

And I’m so happy with my legal name . That’s just my opinion.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 3:56 am
I like Phillip or Pierce.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 4:50 am
Pike
Parker
Payton
Pine
Pitt
Po/Poe
Porter
Puck
Packer

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 5:59 am
Pinhas
Pinkus

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 6:31 am
If you don't want to just call him Pinchas, I'd use Phineas, as that's the English equivalent.

Other choices:
Phillip
Princeton (!)
Percy

Golde

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 7:34 am
Another vote for Phineas. I've done something similar for my DS, used the English translation of the name. It stems from the same name, I think that's very nice to do.

Golde

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 7:36 am
I know a Pinchas whose secular name is Finn by the way. He goes by both names.

banana123

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 9:06 am
I vote for Pinchas or Pincus. Otherwise, Pinny or Phillip.

BTW pinkas is Hebrew for a small notebook/account book. I personally would not use it.

chanar

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 9:32 am
Personally I would do Pinchas on the birth certificates. I put my kids first hebrew name on it and for me it’s much simpler. (It doesn’t offend me at all if the doctors office has a hard time pronouncing) but I know 2 pinchas’s, one is known as pinky and one as pinch. Maybe one of those would work for you?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 9:41 am
Philip

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 10:19 am
Dumb question- why does it have to start with a P?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 10:27 am
OP, I totally hear where you're coming from. All of my children have their Hebrew names on their birth certificates except for one son, whose Hebrew name has a "ch" sound in it and I thought would be completely butchered in non-Jewish environments. I didn't want to give him a really WASPy or non-Jewish sounding name though, so instead on his birth certificate we put an English name with Hebrew roots that has a lot of the same letters as his Hebrew name, but a different first letter. He's a teenager now and I recently took him for his driver's permit. When he had to sign things he kept forgetting which name he was supposed to use and put down the first initial of his Hebrew name. He told me he wishes he didn't have a different legal name than the name he uses and asked if he can change it.... Which I looked into and we can do for $160 or so.... not sure if we ultimately will.

Probably if I wouldn't have given him an English name he would complain about his Hebrew name being butchered in secular environments....

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 10:36 am
I know someone named Chaviva but her parents spelled it Haviva on her birth certificate so she wouldn’t get called chuh-viva (ch like in cheese). Pinhas would probably be what I would do.

There’s also Paxton, and non-English but more familiar to non-Jews names like Paolo (Paul but sounds less Xtian), Pablo, or just give his first name as the initial P and a second legal name (not what I’d personally recommend but it might be an option).

My son is Psachya (also legally) which is pretty much unpronounceable to anyone who can’t say ches. Most people (Medicaid offices, vital records offices, passport, etc) pronounced it “psa-shy-a.” Incidentally most of them thought it was a very cool name, and one government office lady said she wanted to name her daughter that name. We call our son Sachi and I tell doctor’s offices that they can call him “Sock-y” if it makes it easier for them.

I changed my legal first name because I was sick of having to go back-and-forth between my regular name and legal name that literally nobody called me except random government offices and medical places. So much easier to have one name that’s the same in Hebrew in English IME.

This made me laugh:

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 1:01 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
I know someone named Chaviva but her parents spelled it Haviva on her birth certificate so she wouldn’t get called chuh-viva (ch like in cheese). Pinhas would probably be what I would do.

There’s also Paxton, and non-English but more familiar to non-Jews names like Paolo (Paul but sounds less Xtian), Pablo, or just give his first name as the initial P and a second legal name (not what I’d personally recommend but it might be an option).

My son is Psachya (also legally) which is pretty much unpronounceable to anyone who can’t say ches. Most people (Medicaid offices, vital records offices, passport, etc) pronounced it “psa-shy-a.” Incidentally most of them thought it was a very cool name, and one government office lady said she wanted to name her daughter that name. We call our son Sachi and I tell doctor’s offices that they can call him “Sock-y” if it makes it easier for them.

I changed my legal first name because I was sick of having to go back-and-forth between my regular name and legal name that literally nobody called me except random government offices and medical places. So much easier to have one name that’s the same in Hebrew in English IME.

This made me laugh:

Can I get some assistance with the meme? Some of the names I get but a few I am not getting.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 1:07 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Can I get some assistance with the meme? Some of the names I get but a few I am not getting.

Not sure about Dasher, maybe Asher?
I Yell It = Ayelet
Yanni = Yoni
Roof seems to be Reuven
Mary Yum = Miriam
R. E. = Ari
Tall Ya = Talya/Talia

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 3:41 pm
I had not thought of Pincus, as a wise amother did.

Let's think ladies, how terribly can that be mispronounced?

snooper86

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 3:51 pm
I specifically didn’t want any abbreviations of my kids names on their records. Unfortunately during the Holocaust a lot of names were lost. I wanted my kids actual names recorded legally so we always have the name and spelling etc.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names