Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Photos: My Mimi sheitel and Me:)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

theyaffabunny

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 10:46 am
I was looking at the Mimi sheitels and was going to get one, but held it off because I was skeptical of a 275 sheitel. It also bothered me that some of the photos she posted on her fb page were not of her wigs (they're like of celebrities a couple of times) but she acted like it was. Also, I wouldn't dare buy one of her "european line" sheitels. Might as well spend a little extra for a cheap milano or something, at least it will last longer than 3 washes lol. So glad people posted their thoughts, I think it saved me.

mimishkl

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 11:34 am
Sorry to hear that a few of you are disappointed. I found that it looks the way you take care of it. what works wonder is a product called Moroccan oil. Put a small amount once its damp then blow and iron the wig. Hope you try my tips you will see a major improvement. check out Mimislooks.com for more tips.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 6:54 am
I will try the above.

Mimi, which brand shampoo and conditioner do you use?

mimishkl

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 11:12 am
Tresemme deep cleansing Shampoo and conditioner

OutATowner

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 12:04 pm
I use Tresseme shampoo and conditioner. I will try to get Moroccan oil today. I just washed it though, should I just lightly spray it and then put it in?

smile85

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 2:53 am
Some of us weren't satisfied from the first day.
If Shevy and Kiki can sell lemons, so can Mimi. Just saying.

happy2beme

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 11:02 pm
Hi,
I too bought a mimi the beginning of May. Already, it's a huge disappointment. The hair is always falling out (there's hardly any to begin with) & always knotty. Those crazy baby hairs on bottom drives me nuts. someone even told me my hair was sticking out because they saw these tiny hairs sticking out at weird angles!!
I should've listened to my mom when she said it's too good to be true, don't do it.
The hair in the beginning was shiny, now it just reminds me of a barbie's hair (plastic-y)...

I'm used to nice wigs so maybe if someone is used to not real hair they would like this?
(not that mine are so expensive. I have an $800 israeli one that lasted me 4 yrs already! ill be glad if this wig lasts me a year so mimi's comes out more pricey)

Also my sheitel macher washed & blew it ($40) so that's not the issue..

Factory Girl

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 12:40 pm
sleepwalking wrote:
Thank You for your honesty, I've been pushing off ordering one, because my mom kept telling me there is no such thing as cheap sheitels. I guess you are right mom Very Happy

while I totally agree with your mom, I still think there should be a difference with regards to "cheap and excessively expensive"

and many ppl charge u alot of money for wigs when they really don't have too. and this is the huge problems with sheitals.

supermom!

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 2:05 pm
With all due respect factorygirl, I don’t think anyone can comment oh what’s worth the price and what’s not (no ointention of being combative here, just discussion). Maybe something you perceive to be very expensive isn’t actually if you have a good understanding of what goes into making it. It is possible that a nicer wig is actually worth the price.

I am not disagreeing that there are sheitel machers who will just try to sell wigs for as high a price as they can. I am very aware of this as a buyer and that is why I try to stay informed. However, just because a price seems high to you does not mean that it is high relative to what it is. If you were to walk into a car dealership with some knowledge of cars and quite a lot of experience driving a car you still would not be able to understand the technical difference between and Aston Martin and a Honda. You may have a general idea, but not the type of understanding needed to really appreciate it. The fact of the matter is that there is a massive difference in the level of work that goes into making an Aston Martin. I think it’s reasonable to say that you dont appreciate very expensive wigs, but you can’t really judge if a wig in question that you think is very expensive is worth the price or not. It comes down to whether or not it’s worth it for you. I would never buy an Aston Martin even if I was a wealthy person because I have no appreciation for it at all. I would, however, buy a more expensive wig because I have a strong appreciation of it.

I agree with sleepwalking’s mom. Again, I totally agree with you that there are sheitel machers who will mark up prices excessively but you cant ignore the possibility that maybe the product it self is also very expensive to make. I really do understand you though. I would never buy a wig through a sheitel macher ever for this reason.

Deap breath, long post. Phew!

supermom!

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 2:18 pm
Oh, I also just wanted to jump in for Mimi here.

I dont know Mimi and I have never seen her wigs, but it seems that maybe she is providing a service for people who cant spend a lot of money on a wig. If 275 is your budget for a wig it may not be reasonable to expect a lot out of it. I'm just pointing that out.

MamaBear

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 3:19 pm
I chimed in earlier. It's worth not a penny more than it's cost. But perhaps not less either. I think people are upset because of the way it was marketed, that it was somehow a better quality wig without the markup. As if Mimi was doing us a chessed by giving it to us for close to cost, unlike Freeda and Shevy.

But it is clearly a cheap wig, from the quality of hair to the cap construction. So it's worth it's price but it's no bargain. Buying Marc Jacobs at Loehmann's for a low price is a bargain. Buying a tshirt at Old Navy for $5 is not a bargain. It's just a cheap tee at a low price. But no one buys the Old Navy tee thinking it's the same quality as Marc Jacobs. Make sense?

supermom!

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 3:46 pm
Right, I understand. I really never heard about them or how they're marketed. I actually only know about them from here.

That would actually get me pretty upset. I know of someone who does this and it really really gets under my skin especially because this person is soooooo loud and obnoxious .

I just felt bad for Mimi because she’s on here and she’s reading some really harsh things about her:( Even if she is wrong, I just feel kind of bad. She's a Jew you know and she seems kind of sorry. It doesn't feel good to watch someone get beat down even further after already having been put in their place. I think she probably gets the point by now. I hope so.

OutATowner

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 6:54 pm
I'm sorry!
I wasn't trying to bash Mimi, and I thought long and hard before posting. I was just trying to get some practical advice.
All in all, I don't regret getting it. I could not afford a $1,000 sheitel, even if it is better quality. I like that I can throw my Mimi sheitel in a pony. If I am VERY careful with it it looks good. I just have to be much more on top of it.
I think I would have still bought it had I known this, b/c $275 was all I could afford. If it lasts a year I will be happy, now that I adjusted to that reality. I think I just expected too much.
Would I buy again? I would consider the ones with more hair so I wouldn't be so nervous if one fell out while brushing.

NewYorkgal31

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 7:11 pm
I had the worst experience with Mimi....for me it wouldn't even be worth it for 100$ Crying

supermom!

Post Fri, Jul 06 2012, 7:41 pm
I wasn't judging you at all:) I was just trying to express a different perspective. And I felt a little bit bad for her at how she must be feeling reading all of this. But I understand. I had a very long rant here a while ago about a vendor. I'm really not trying to judge.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 12:10 am
There has to be positive and negative about everything. Some will like others won't.

Im sorry for mimi that she has to read this but I am happy for me that I see real life actual experiences not all "happy happy happy" online tales.

Sherri

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 8:48 pm
MamaBear wrote:
I chimed in earlier. It's worth not a penny more than it's cost. But perhaps not less either. I think people are upset because of the way it was marketed, that it was somehow a better quality wig without the markup. As if Mimi was doing us a chessed by giving it to us for close to cost, unlike Freeda and Shevy.

But it is clearly a cheap wig, from the quality of hair to the cap construction. So it's worth it's price but it's no bargain. Buying Marc Jacobs at Loehmann's for a low price is a bargain. Buying a tshirt at Old Navy for $5 is not a bargain. It's just a cheap tee at a low price. But no one buys the Old Navy tee thinking it's the same quality as Marc Jacobs. Make sense?
But what if you buy the Old Navy tee, thinking it's like Banana Repubic?

MamaBear

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 9:28 pm
Well that's the problem. Old Navy doesn't market its clothing as high quality merchandise at a low price. They may say their stuff is fun and bright and trendy but they don't go on about quality. So if you buy a cheap tee there and expect it to last ten years, well that's your own false expectations.

But when someone sells you a low priced wig and tells you it's just as good as a $2K wig but without the markup...well you expect more that what some of these women received. They were mislead. Maybe they were foolish to really think it was that kind of quality but still...

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 10:17 pm
Quote:
They were mislead. Maybe they were foolish to really think it was that kind of quality but still...

I'd like to think of myself as desperate, not foolish

Sherri

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 10:24 pm
MamaBear wrote:
Well that's the problem. Old Navy doesn't market its clothing as high quality merchandise at a low price. They may say their stuff is fun and bright and trendy but they don't go on about quality. So if you buy a cheap tee there and expect it to last ten years, well that's your own false expectations.

But when someone sells you a low priced wig and tells you it's just as good as a $2K wig but without the markup...well you expect more that what some of these women received. They were mislead. Maybe they were foolish to really think it was that kind of quality but still...
Yup.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels