Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How is this safe??? -spinoff of mikva lurkers

lamplighter

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 9:55 pm
On the thread about a creep hanging around the mikva people were saying that friday night is the worst because you can't use a cell phone.

Why is it considered safe to be with a phone? Actually statistically carrying a cell phone where it can be seen puts you at a higher risk of being mugged and if you are using it the numbers are even higher than that.
People who are on the phone are distracted and are easy targets, and lets say you scream or yell into the phone that you're being hurt- how will the other person help you from there?

What is the logic of being safer because you have a phone or of "walking home with someone on the phone"?

If anything it seems less safe to me.

Please discuss.

chevron

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 9:58 pm
Same question here.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 10:01 pm
I have heard and read a lot about this. You are right, one shouldn't be on the phone while walking at night to shmooze. Often, what I do is just stay on the phone with someone, while keeping a lookout and safety awareness. It is ch'v in case you get into trouble, the person you are talking to can call for help. If you are not talking to someone, you can call for help I.e. police if you feel in danger.

yksraya

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 10:01 pm
having the phone in a bag, purse or pocket. if someones following you, you can call 911 and then call your, dh, mother, father, etc.. telling them where you are and that you're being followed. they can call police, shomrim etc.. and can be witness in case c"v something does happen.

mommydiaries

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 10:02 pm
lamplighter wrote:
On the thread about a creep hanging around the mikva people were saying that friday night is the worst because you can't use a cell phone.

Why is it considered safe to be with a phone? Actually statistically carrying a cell phone where it can be seen puts you at a higher risk of being mugged and if you are using it the numbers are even higher than that.
People who are on the phone are distracted and are easy targets, and lets say you scream or yell into the phone that you're being hurt- how will the other person help you from there?

What is the logic of being safer because you have a phone or of "walking home with someone on the phone"?

If anything it seems less safe to me.

Please discuss.

but if C"V someone attacks, the person you are speaking to will know, and call the police. I used to call my husband when I worked late, walked to my car at night. He knew where I was, and could call the police and give them my location if we are talking and the he hears something go wrong!

cm

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 10:12 pm
The phone is to call for help, not to chat with a friend to keep you company. If you anticipate trouble, you can have a panic number dialed and ready to go - just keep your finger ready to press "send."

mfb

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 10:19 pm
btw a friend of mine recommended if you are walking a long way and are staying on the phone for safety be sure to keep updatingthe person as to where you are up to so if something goes wrong they know where u are

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 10:31 pm
its never normal or safe to walk around engrossed in cell phone conversation and believe me I see the danger in it also but it is what it is most pple carry their cell everywhere and its not stopping anytime soon.

As a matter of fact when I was out walking one night and it was still light there was a guy following me I quickly called my dh in a panic on my cell phone he was there within seconds and so were a bunch of shomrim members. Turns out this guy was drunk (y else would he follow me???????)
and thanx to my cell and shomrim he was "taken care of" and then the police later on.

Once I was stuck in the elevator in Shop Rite it stopped working what did I do??? I took out my cell phone got the number off their receipt I called Shop Rite to inform them I was stuck in their elevator. Thank God my cell saved me from dying from claustraphobia. Wink Call me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics