Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cooking frugal without beans and most veggies
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 7:05 pm
I want to cook frugal (and if its healthy, even better!) Any ideas what to make? allergic to all beans. And allergic to some vegetables and strongly dislike others vegetables including zucchini, mushroom, tomato, parsnip, pepper, turnip, beets, banana

I tried doing a search but it seams most cheap dinners include beans/lentils and a salad

Anyone wanna take the challenge???

Chocoholic

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 7:13 pm
Chicken is probably your best bet. With rice or potatoes, or pasta.

BinahYeteirah

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 7:14 pm
Maybe you could start by telling us what vegetables you do eat. If you want to eat a healthy diet, veggies are important. Once we know so things you like, it will be easier to think of suggestions.

spinkles

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 7:16 pm
scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast

brown rice or quinoa with toasted almonds and whatever veggies you do like (I buy my nuts in bulk so cheaper)

whole wheat rolls with whatever soup you do eat

whole wheat spaghetti or quinoa with thai peanut sauce

mommalah

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 7:57 pm
Can u give the recipe for the Thai peanut sauce?

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 8:05 pm
thanks for the quick replies!

We dont like plain eggs. meaning no scrambled eggs or omelets. In recipes eggs are fine.

I am tired of eating chicken and potatoes almost every night. We have pasta once a week. Dh doesnt like any fish. I dont eat any nuts besides peanuts.

We like lettuce, regular potatoes, carrots and corn.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 8:46 pm
estibesty's baked ziti is pretty fugal

mac n cheese

hot dogs in buns with corn salad

hot dog potato goulash

potato eggdrop soup

pizza

eggplant parm

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, May 03 2012, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 8:59 pm
Are you in Brooklyn btw? You can buy ground meat for $4 per lb. And you can really strecht 1 lb. of ground meat.

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 9:46 pm
We dont eat eggplant. DH doesn't eat hot dogs. I dont like most cheese. I dont like hot stringy cheese. for example: mac n cheese and pizza, but I make it for DH. I make baked ziti with cottage cheese.

whats potato eggdrop soup?

I told you its a real challenge to cook here!

When chopped meat is $4 in Mountain Fruit I make a trip there and stock up. What else can I make with it besides meatballs, meatloaf and hamburgers? I add a lot of matzah meal to the meat and a little bit is very filling

shanie5

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
We dont eat eggplant. DH doesn't eat hot dogs. I dont like most cheese. I dont like hot stringy cheese. for example: mac n cheese and pizza, but I make it for DH. I make baked ziti with cottage cheese.

When chopped meat is $4 in Mountain Fruit I make a trip there and stock up. What else can I make with it besides meatballs, meatloaf and hamburgers? I add a lot of matzah meal to the meat and a little bit is very filling

Sloppy joes (manwich), tacos

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:

mac n cheese is not stringy. it's just macaroni and cream.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....aroni

the no boil baked ziti is creamy too.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

potato eggdrop soup
from great depression cooking: brown 1 diced potato and 1 diced onion in oil. add bay leaves and water halfway up the pot and bring to a boil. season w s&p until very tasty. add 4 lightly beaten eggs and stir quickly to form egg drops. crack 2 more eggs into soup and keep whole. stir in cheese if desired. place a piece of toast into each bowl; top with whole egg. pour soup on top. serve.

with ground meat you can also make a meat sauce with spaghetti. unstuffed cabbage. manicotti. stuffed cabbage. meatball soup.
FYI, kollel store and moshe's usually have ground meat for $3.99 per lb.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 4:34 am
Can you eat lentils? Cheap and yummy. Make a lentil soup, or I make a shepherds pie with a layer of mashed potatos and lentils underneath.

chop meat - shepherds pie, or just cook with onions and some tomato sauce and serve with rice or pasta.

stir frys - using meat or chicken. Do you eat tofu or fake meat?

amother

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 12:42 pm
I thought beans and lentils where the same thing cuz cant eat either of them here.

Please post recipes for tacos, unstuffed cabbage, meatball soup and shepherds pie?

ramom, I know other stores sell meat for $4 but mt fruit is the only store where you dont need a minimum to purchase sale items. We only buy on sale, mostly shopping in large supermarkets like shoprite. In the Jewish stores I cant find anything to spent the required $7.50 or $10. So when Mt fruit has a sale on meat or chicken I stock up.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 4:10 pm
Anything from the produce or meat department, even sale items, can be bought without a minimum at Kollel and Moishe's. Other sale items cannot be bought without a minimum.

And the $3.99 price is usually not a sale price either. It's just their regular price (although sometimes they up it to $4.99.)

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 7:24 pm
amother wrote:
I thought beans and lentils where the same thing cuz cant eat either of them here.

Please post recipes for tacos, unstuffed cabbage, meatball soup and shepherds pie?

ramom, I know other stores sell meat for $4 but mt fruit is the only store where you dont need a minimum to purchase sale items. We only buy on sale, mostly shopping in large supermarkets like shoprite. In the Jewish stores I cant find anything to spent the required $7.50 or $10. So when Mt fruit has a sale on meat or chicken I stock up.
unstuffed cabbage

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....58676
you can cut the recipe in 1/3s. and add more rice too.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....bbage

meatball soup

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....pling
you can use just onion, garlic and carrot if you like - and leave out the mushroom and scallions if that bothers you

Raisin

Post Sat, May 05 2012, 6:19 pm
Why are you so picky? Maybe you should try expanding your repertoire. For a long time I did not like certain foods since I had negative experiences with them as a child, but I realized on tasting them as an adult that they are actually delicious.

amother

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 12:43 am
Raisin wrote:
Why are you so picky? Maybe you should try expanding your repertoire. For a long time I did not like certain foods since I had negative experiences with them as a child, but I realized on tasting them as an adult that they are actually delicious.
I dont want to be picky. My life would be so much simpler if we would eat more foods. A lot of the problem is allergies. I tried pizza and some veggies recently and still dont like it. I tried getting Dh to eat salmon and tuna but he didnt even want to taste it.

Also I feel like its a waste of money to try new foods. If neither of us like it then it goes in the garbage. So I can only experiment with foods that at least one of us likes.

bamamama

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 1:38 am
amother wrote:
Raisin wrote:
I dont want to be picky. My life would be so much simpler if we would eat more foods. A lot of the problem is allergies. I tried pizza and some veggies recently and still dont like it. I tried getting Dh to eat salmon and tuna but he didnt even want to taste it.

Also I feel like its a waste of money to try new foods. If neither of us like it then it goes in the garbage. So I can only experiment with foods that at least one of us likes.

there are also tons of ways to prepare veggies. You seem to be shooting down almost every suggestion because you don't like it. My kids won't eat many cooked veggies but will gobble them up raw - cukes, peppers, peapods. Have you tried raw veggies? I really think you should take a cooking class or experiment with new tastes - lots of good, interesting ethnic cookbooks in the library. You say you are sick of chicken and potatoes, but that seems to be all that's left on the list after you take out what you don't like or are allergic to.

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 12:07 am
OP here
So I guess I am really as hopeless as I thought I was Crying

Raizle

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 1:16 am
amother wrote:
OP here
So I guess I am really as hopeless as I thought I was Crying

only because you don't like so many stuff.
read your post. your response to most suggestions is "I don't like"

you gotta work on getting used to new stuff or finding a way to prepare it so that you do like it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen