Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cooking frugal without beans and most veggies
Previous  1  2  3  Next

DrMom

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 1:44 am
I agree with Raizle. Allergies you can't do much about, but turning your nose up at almost every type of food is not something an adult should do. You need to try to expand your tastes in vegetables.

Quote:
We like lettuce, regular potatoes, carrots and corn.

That's not a lot to go on.

Try roasting vegetables. Try squash, sweet potatoes (those are kind of like white potatoes, which you like).

Try salads that combine fruit (do you like fruit???) and vegetables.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 6:32 am
true, vegetables taste very different raw, or cooked in different ways.

I read children may need to be exposed to a food 20 times before they will start eating and enjoying it.

Do you ever have guests? Make the foods you don't love then and try them, maybe you will start enjoying them.

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 2:43 pm
thank you for not totally giving up on me.

allergies to squash. Dh doesnt like sweet potato. Sometimes I make french fries. Sweet potatoes for me and regular potatoes for him.

We do eat most fruit

We never have guests. Its just me and DH here.

The truth is most things I cant make because of allergies. DH will taste everything that I make if hes not allergic. I do want to learn to cook more types of food. But I have no idea where to start!

I really like salmon but DH wont touch fish. Theres no point in cooking a whole fish for myself. Does anyone have a salmon recipe that doent taste like fish?
Also how do you make cheese pretzels like the kind in pizza store?

Raisin

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 2:44 pm
you can buy salmon in individual peices. I never buy whole salmon.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:08 pm
Raisin, where I live salmon slices are so much more expensive per pound than a whole salmon. That being said, it's worthwhile to purchase a whole (baby) salmon and freeze the slices for future use.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:11 pm
Make Your Own Pretzels

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:16 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Make Your Own Pretzels
my question is what type of cheese and how to get the cheese into the pretzel like at the pizza store?

mha3484

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:27 pm
I would use mozzarella or I would make a cheese sauce to dip the pretzels in. If you don't like stringy cheese you might like more of a sauce.

auntie_em

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 4:21 pm
That must be hard to be allergic to so many foods!

Maybe your allergist can set you up with a nurtitionist to help you choose food you and DH can eat safely. I saw a nutrionist for a while and she even helped me learn news ways to prepare foods. I was also introduced to foods I had never even thought of trying before.

boysrus

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 4:49 pm
raisin, I don't knowwhereabouts in europe you live. I used tio live in europe, salmom was so cheap.
now I liv e in the usa, it costs a bomb. in my city, you can buy it for about $7 a pound whole, but the smallest ones are usually about 8.5 lbs, so it is a big outlay. if you buy it per piece, it is as much as $13 a lb! crazy! I really miss my regular salmon suppers, now I get it just for pesach and sukkos Sad

sarahd

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 4:58 pm
Where did you live in Europe? Salmon is so expensive here. I get it wholesale for $9.50 a pound. The retail price on sale! is almost $18 a pound for whole salmon.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
mha3484 wrote:
Make Your Own Pretzels
my question is what type of cheese and how to get the cheese into the pretzel like at the pizza store?
The pizza store cheese pretzels are made with cream cheese.
Roll dough into long flat pieces. Pipe cream cheese on dough leaving edges clean. Seal into rope shape. Proceed as usual with pretzel recipe.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 9:16 pm
Interesting. The pizza place here uses mozzerella.

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 11:59 pm
ramom, what pizza store makes cheese pretzels with cream cheese? My favorite pizza store on 15th ave does not use cream cheese in the pretzel. I once asked them and I think they use mozzarella. But unlike on pizza the cheese inside the pretzel is not stringy.

I dont remember for sure but I think they said cheese sticks are made with cream cheese and mozzarella and cheese pretzels are made only with mozzarella.

spring13

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 12:05 am
amother wrote:
ramom, what pizza store makes cheese pretzels with cream cheese? My favorite pizza store on 15th ave does not use cream cheese in the pretzel. I once asked them and I think they use mozzarella. But unlike on pizza the cheese inside the pretzel is not stringy.

I dont remember for sure but I think they said cheese sticks are made with cream cheese and mozzarella and cheese pretzels are made only with mozzarella.

They probably use a blend of ricotta and mozzarella, like in lasagna or baked ziti. Or at least, that's how I learned to make lasagna and ziti. I can see how people might think ricotta is cream cheese, if they've never used it and are just tasting it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 12:07 am
I don't remember. All I remember is that I've had them, and didn't enjoy them. I'm not a cream cheese person. Smile Dh likes them though.

Maybe the store on 60th off New Utrecht, and Mendelsohn's as well? I don't really remember where I had them.

DrMom

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:09 am
amother wrote:
thank you for not totally giving up on me.

allergies to squash. Dh doesnt like sweet potato. Sometimes I make french fries. Sweet potatoes for me and regular potatoes for him.

We do eat most fruit

We never have guests. Its just me and DH here.

The truth is most things I cant make because of allergies. DH will taste everything that I make if hes not allergic. I do want to learn to cook more types of food. But I have no idea where to start!

I really like salmon but DH wont touch fish. Theres no point in cooking a whole fish for myself. Does anyone have a salmon recipe that doent taste like fish?
Also how do you make cheese pretzels like the kind in pizza store?

Except that he won't touch fish and he doesn't like sweet potatoes, and he won;t eat this and he won't eat that...

Listen, if you (both of you) really want to change your diet, then you have to make an effort. Try new foods -- really TRY them. Give it a chance. I'm not talking about foods to which you are allergic (obviously).

Go to the produce section and buy one or two new vegetables. Commit to trying them for a few days. Find a few recipes (look on the internet -- allrecipes.com is a handy resource) and try one recipe each day. Be open-minded. These are different vegetables; they will not taste exactly like the lettuce, corn, carrorts and potatoes that you are already used to.

Even if you don't love it, eat it. Make it a part of a meal that contains familiar foods, but don't leave it on your plate -- eat it. Make a rule: You can't finish your regular food unless you finish your new food.

That's it. There's no magic recipe that will make you eat better if you (both you AND DH) don't make a commitment. You're adults. Stop whining and eat your veggies! Smile

Raisin

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 5:05 am
sarahd wrote:
Where did you live in Europe? Salmon is so expensive here. I get it wholesale for $9.50 a pound. The retail price on sale! is almost $18 a pound for whole salmon.

I paid about €1.75 a fillet yesterday for ready filleted salmon, prepacked from the supermarket. (8 peices for 15 euro, @2 lbs) Sometimes they sell whole salmon on sale quite cheaply and I buy it but not often.

I think I can get it cheaper wholesale, but then I have to shlep to a faraway shop. this was from my local supermaket. I really like fresh salmon, as opposed to frozen, so I prefer buying in small quantities.

willow

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 12:13 pm
Not the op but I do understand my dh doesn't love a lot and a lot of allergies make our grocery budget very high.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 5:24 pm
spring13 wrote:
amother wrote:

They probably use a blend of ricotta and mozzarella, like in lasagna or baked ziti. Or at least, that's how I learned to make lasagna and ziti. I can see how people might think ricotta is cream cheese, if they've never used it and are just tasting it.
The ones I've had are something like this, in a savory version

http://www.food.com/recipe/hot.....72335

I definately know the difference between ricotta cheese and cream cheese Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen