Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Friend with noisy toilet TMI

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 1:53 pm
TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI

Ok lol. So.

My friend has her toilets JUST near the living room. For some reason the door doesn't cut the noise at all. When someone goes to the toilets even just number 1, you hear it alllll. It is horrible while eating. I dread having to go. I was afraid to tackle the topic but recently she told me she hates it and is going crazy because of it. Moving is not an option. Is there any way for her (not expensive Sad) to have less "noise"?

Thank you...

thatgirl

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 2:05 pm
That is a really uncomfortable situation.. but if it was me and I needed to use the bathroom I would turn the water on so you wont hear as much.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 2:08 pm
But won't constant flushing sound weird also?

crl

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 2:17 pm
Can she better soundproof the bathroom? My parents have something similar...the main floor bathroom is so noisy, and part of the reason is that the door doesn't quite reach the floor. Can she put a doorstop or a blanket there so people can stuff it under? (In America, we have these sandbag long ropey things that are meant to keep out drafts from under doors)

Or, it's pretty ugly, but I've heard that egg cartons soundproof a room. Can she hang egg cartons on the door and see if it works? (like, top to bottom, not just a lone egg carton, haha)

Or maybe, invest in a new, heavier door?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 10:03 am
I transmitted. She asks if there is anything else she can do

be good

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 12:38 pm
can she install a fan/light thing that when the light is on a fan is running, (and made it a noisy one)?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 12:45 pm
My sis has a bathroom right off her dining room. They installed a double door (not side by side but one behind the other so when they are closed there's a double layer). I would ask a contractor if you can install two 'garage' or solid doors vs. most doors that are hollow, at least around here. It might also be possible to blow in insulation into the walls.

Anyhow you don't keep flushing, you run the water in the sink. I do that often when I'm someplace where I feel people can hear....

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 12:47 pm
Be good: won't it just kill the noise inside the toilet but not for people outside?

Amother good idea about a very thick door... but there's no sink, it's just a toilet. So one could only flush and flush.

Happy18

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 3:26 pm
We have this problem in my current apt. If the air conditioning is on its not an issue it blocks out the sound. During the winter we actually warn people. I can't wait to buy a house.

sequoia

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 3:35 pm
No sink? Huh, I never encountered that in western Europe.

That's really uncomfortable.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 3:39 pm
sequoia wrote:
No sink? Huh, I never encountered that in western Europe.

That's really uncomfortable.

I have.

If I knew I was going to be in that home, I would do everything possible to prevent using the bathroom. Is it the only bathroom in the apt? I have gone to the second level of someone elses house to use the bathroom if I thought the main floor bathroom wasnt private enough.

NewYorkgal31

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 4:37 pm
How about a sound machine?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F.....vqmt=

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 16 2012, 7:22 pm
My dh says a sound machine would only make you hear yourself less, not people outside.

Most toilets I "encounter" (lol) have no sink, you wash in the bathroom.

My friend has one toilet and one bathroom.

bluebird

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 1:33 am
I agree that the door is usually the biggest issue when it comes to soundproofing. They tend to be thin and hollow on the inside. I'd go with a thick, heavy door. She could also add something inside the room that dampens noise and/or prevents it from echoing off the walls, like heavy fabric. This page gives a good description of what I mean: http://ohmyapt.apartmentrating.....html.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics