Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Bad Metaphors and Cliches, and Other Writing Blunders
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 6:45 pm
hadasa wrote:
amother wrote:
Anonymous because my friends all know that the errors below irk the daylights out of me:

There is no such word as wala or walla. It is the French 'voila' which means "here it is". Also, the words dido or didow do not exist. You probably mean "ditto". Ditto means "I feel or think the same way you do". It comes from the latin 'dictus' which means "already said".

Usage errors always bother me but none more than these!
AFAIK, "walla" is Arabic and has nothing to do with the French "voila"

You're right, "walla" is an Arabic word too. When used in the Arabic way, it means something like "really?" For example,
Person A: I saw your mother last night.
Person B: Walla?

Another Arabic use is slang for "ha-allah" which means Swear To God in Arabic. For example,
Person A: " Did she really say that?!"
Person B: "Walla."

What bothers me is when it's used incorrectly instead of the French 'voila'. The correct context would be something like "I was looking for my pen and voila, I found it!", not "walla, I found it!"

Sorry to go off on this but OMG it gets under my skin Smile

enneamom

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 7:34 pm
chani8 wrote:
Oh, enneamom, I was only joking about the self-consciousness.

But I think you're right irregardless! LOL

I definitely checked my posts MUCH more carefully today, and I'm sure I still didn't catch all the explicit, implicit and illicit errors that would of elicited discrete yet not discreet comments about my flouting of grammar and spelling, which flaunts my ignorance. Walla! there hue have it. I'll just have to make due with loosing credibility, but I could care less.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 7:53 pm
iluvy wrote:

This thread is so cathartic!

So's Ex-Lax.

iluvy

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 9:17 pm
Nicholas Kristof in the New York Times:

Quote:
While interviewing people on a lovely Caspian Sea beach, a plainclothes policeman bustled forward.

Who was interviewing people? Not the policeman!

leomom

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 3:19 am
de_goldy wrote:
Another one I see all over this site:

"Make due" (should be "make do")

It's everywhere - in the whole world - and it's another example of people just not understanding what the phrase actually means. (I mentioned that example on a previous thread that was, um, just like this one!)

Along the same lines: much adieu about nothing!

and.... without further adieu...

chocolate fondue

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 5:07 am
The one that bugs me most is using 'win' instead of 'beat'.
Like when someone says, 'the Maccabbees won the Greeks'.
You win the game; you beat the other team!

mommyla

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 10:58 am
enneamom wrote:
chani8 wrote:

I definitely checked my posts MUCH more carefully today, and I'm sure I still didn't catch all the explicit, implicit and illicit errors that would of elicited discrete yet not discreet comments about my flouting of grammar and spelling, which flaunts my ignorance. Walla! there hue have it. I'll just have to make due with loosing credibility, but I could care less.

No! That should of been "their!" Sheesh, don't you no anything?

tsiggelle

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 11:11 am
mommyla wrote:
enneamom wrote:
chani8 wrote:

should have
and know[b]

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 11:29 am
tsiggelle, that post was in jest.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 11:45 am
sequoia wrote:
staten islander wrote:
a frum classic-are you eating by so and so?

Or staying by so and so!

No, I'm staying inside their house, not on their lawn!

I had a lit professor who hated that. He claims it comes from the yiddish translation I.e. ich bin by man mama's hoze. As a teacher, I constantly work on myself and correct my students to say AT.

Fox

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 1:48 pm
First of all, let me say that I am utterly humbled and impressed by anyone who learns English as a second language. Of all the languages to "catch on" in the world, English is surely one of the most inconsistent and difficult. So kudos to all of you bi-, tri-, and multilingual ladies.

There is a series of books called Anguished English that contain collections of various malapropisms, misspellings, and various other sins. The books are all hilarious, and one contains excerpts from student term papers where history is re-written through language gaffes. They're all great bedtime reading and will send you to sleep with a smile on your face.

My pet peeve is "everyday" versus "every day" -- again, what kind of proper language tries to trip people up like that?!

"Everyday" -- one word -- means "common," as in, "Wear your everyday shoes, not your Shabbos shoes!"

"Every day" -- two words -- means "on each day," as in, "We are open every day." If you can insert the word "single" between "every" and "day," it means you need the two-word version:

Quote:
Count on us for everyday low prices.
Count of us for low prices every day.

This year, one of the school spirit-and/or-middos committees at my DDs' school made little reminder labels for the girls to stick to their notebooks or themselves: "Remember to stand up for your English teachers everyday."

A few local wags and I privately joked that the English teachers may need to do a little more work before everyone is required to be on her feet!

iluvy

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 3:18 pm
New York Times again:

Quote:
The fee is being waved during this introductory period.

onlyme

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 3:22 pm
iluvy wrote:
New York Times again:

Quote:
The fee is being waved during this introductory period.

I've seen that one too.

I heard someone say "slowly maturely" instead of "slowly but surely".

enneamom

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 6:26 pm
mommyla wrote:
enneamom wrote:
chani8 wrote:

Your a thousand percent right. How could I of made such a type of greive error. I'm absolutely mortivated.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 10:30 pm
enneamom wrote:
mommyla wrote:
enneamom wrote:
chani8 wrote:

Your a thousand percent right. How could I of made such a type of greive error. I'm absolutely mortivated.
Hue mean "write"?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 10:33 pm
As my neice once said, "I'm so mad, I'm madder of fact!"

joy613

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 10:40 pm
I've seen "It's a doggie dog world"

Dandelion1

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 11:29 pm
Here's a new one-- (to me anyway):

my ds and his friends say "we versed each other" as in played against one another (ie, me versus you)....

anyone else heard that?

enneamom

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 2:58 am
the world's best mom wrote:
enneamom wrote:
mommyla wrote:
enneamom wrote:
chani8 wrote:

Hue mean "write"?

Eye sea this is ever ending. We can not win sum of the people sum of the time their never satiated.

tsiggelle

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 5:47 am
enneamom wrote:
the world's best mom wrote:
enneamom wrote:
mommyla wrote:
enneamom wrote:
chani8 wrote:

Hue mean "write"?

Eye sea this is ever ending. We can not win sum of the people sum of the time their never satiated.

punctuation, dearie. you really want to make a passing grade? or is that get?
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club