Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Writing as a side job

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 10:01 am
I’m looking to make about $500 a week from writing. I’ve won a few writing contests years ago but never actually did it professionally. What can I do to get started? Is this a practical goal?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:43 pm
I make about that, sometimes more, from writing as a side job. Your best bet is to start submitting to the big frum magazines. They need weekly content, so they're always on the hunt for talented writers, and if you're consistent and good at what you do, they'll find plenty of work for you.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:53 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
I make about that, sometimes more, from writing as a side job. Your best bet is to start submitting to the big frum magazines. They need weekly content, so they're always on the hunt for talented writers, and if you're consistent and good at what you do, they'll find plenty of work for you.

You make $2,000 a month from magazine writing? Wow!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 4:01 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
You make $2,000 a month from magazine writing? Wow!

Yes, BH! It requires a lot of regular writing– usually a serial, plus a decent number of articles or fiction on the side. I'm fortunate to be a quick writer so I can turn out a nice amount of work without it interfering with my full-time job– but I guess speed would also be a factor when exploring if it's feasible for OP!

There is also the possibility of writing novels for the secular world, where you might be able to snag a decent amount of money in an advance, but it's very difficult to find an agent, even more difficult to find a publisher, and quite rare to find one that'll give you an advance that high. The ultimate goal, when writing novels for income, is to eventually write enough of them that your royalties might amount to a decent yearly amount. But if it isn't a passion project, it's not worthwhile to throw yourself into novel-writing for income alone.

There are definitely other work options in the nonfiction sphere that are profitable, but I'm not familiar with them. Soferet might be able to help you there.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 4:26 pm
My husband made a very respectable living writing for magazines. He has since moved on to bigger and better things Baruch HaShem, but if you’re consistent and fast you can make even more than that.
As somebody mentioned above, you should send articles to the from magazines. You can also market yourself on LinkedIn.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 4:28 pm
Which frum magazines?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:05 am
Bumping!

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:10 am
I am looking into this too. I write resumes in my day job so I looked on fiverr to see what people there charge and theres a big market for this.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:19 am
You have to be very persistent because Jewish magazines are inundated with writers. They have a tendency to stick to ones they know, whether the article is good or not. Be prepared for rejection and editing that destroys your material.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:38 am
mha3484 wrote:
I am looking into this too. I write resumes in my day job so I looked on fiverr to see what people there charge and theres a big market for this.

I write resumes as a side job, it isn't consistent but brings in extra pocket money.
I wonder if it's worth trying to do it on fiverr if I'm basically self taught to the frum standards...

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:38 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
You have to be very persistent because Jewish magazines are inundated with writers. They have a tendency to stick to ones they know, whether the article is good or not. Be prepared for rejection and editing that destroys your material.

This seems contradictory advice from the one who said they’re always looking for weekly content

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 8:21 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
This seems contradictory advice from the one who said they’re always looking for weekly content

Right, I don't agree with that at all. If you send top-notch work in, they'll jump to work with you as much and as often as possible. I would say that Jewish magazines, like all magazines, find themselves inundated with writers whose work doesn't necessarily measure up to the quality of the work the magazines already have (no matter what their friends and family might tell them!).

SweetAngel

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:13 pm
What kind of things do ppl submit? Short stories? Research articles?
How can I submit?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club