Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is it worded properly?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 1:21 pm
Is it correct to say "its not what I meant" or "That's not what I mean". Recently heard someone say that and sounds very "Yiddish translated". Although I get what they're trying to say,is it proper english?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 1:53 pm
amother wrote:
Is it correct to say "its not what I meant" or "That's not what I mean". Recently heard someone say that and sounds very "Yiddish translated". Although I get what they're trying to say,is it proper english?

they are both ok just different tenses if you it's not what I meant you are referring to something you SAID
if you say that's not what I mean you are referring to something you literally just said or are saying

amother

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 1:58 pm
It does sound very "yinglish"

What would be more correct?

myself

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:
It does sound very "yinglish"

What would be more correct?

I would definitely go for - That's not what I meant.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 2:35 pm
unless the word "it" is not what you meant, I'd stick to "that."

and the word is it's, not its. its means belonging to it. so if that's what you're using, you're wrong. Smile

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

they are both ok just different tenses if you it's not what I meant you are referring to something you SAID
if you say that's not what I mean you are referring to something you literally just said or are saying

Sorry, but the reasoning you just posted is wrong and tenses have nothing to do with the matter.
"This" refers to something close to the speaker. THIS is my daughter. Say hello, Zeeskeit.
"That" refers to something at a distance from the speaker. THAT is my daughter, Zeeskeit, on the stage playing Queen Esther.

When referring to a statement by another speaker, one says THAT. THAT is the worst joke I've ever heard. THAT's ridiculous. THAT's nice. G-d will get you for THAT, Archie. THAT's not what I meant.

According to the GMAT people,one does not use this-that-those-these by themselves as a pronouns in formal written English. Rather, one writes this girl is my daughter, That Girl is Danny Thomas's daughter, that pun is the worst joke I ever heard, that argument is ridiculous, that gesture is nice, G-d will get you for that remark, Archie, that statement is not what I meant.

OTOH, "These are the times that try men's souls." "This was our finest hour" "This is my G-d" . Who's going to argue English grammar with Winston Churchill and Herman Wouk?

"IT" feels completely wrong in this context. "IT" would be correct in a scenario such as this: "This is the reprimand I wrote to my employee. It's not what I meant to say. Can you help me rewrite it?"

Quite possibly, the use of IT vs. THAT varies by region, just as standing IN line vs. ON line varies by region. THAT being said, I vote for THAT.

onlyme

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 3:04 pm
zaq wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Sorry, but the reasoning you just posted is wrong and tenses have nothing to do with the matter.
"This" refers to something close to the speaker. THIS is my daughter. Say hello, Zeeskeit.
"That" refers to something at a distance from the speaker. THAT is my daughter, Zeeskeit, on the stage playing Queen Esther.

When referring to a statement by another speaker, one says THAT. THAT is the worst joke I've ever heard. THAT's ridiculous. THAT's nice. G-d will get you for THAT, Archie. THAT's not what I meant.

According to the GMAT people,one does not use this-that-those-these by themselves as a pronouns in formal written English. Rather, one writes this girl is my daughter, That Girl is Danny Thomas's daughter, that pun is the worst joke I ever heard, that argument is ridiculous, that gesture is nice, G-d will get you for that remark, Archie, that statement is not what I meant.

OTOH, "These are the times that try men's souls." "This was our finest hour" "This is my G-d" . Who's going to argue English grammar with Winston Churchill and Herman Wouk?

"IT" feels completely wrong in this context. "IT" would be correct in a scenario such as this: "This is the reprimand I wrote to my employee. It's not what I meant to say. Can you help me rewrite it?"

Quite possibly, the use of IT vs. THAT varies by region, just as standing IN line vs. ON line varies by region. THAT being said, I vote for THAT.

Applause
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics