Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Bracelet = dangerous?
1  2  Next

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 9:47 pm
Someone wants to buy a bracelet for my 5 month old dd. I really prefer a soft bracelet vs a bangle, but I'm wondering if it's too much of a hazard. It seems like a very slim chance that she would manage to break it off, though. Did anyone have a problem of a baby getting a bracelet off?

Simple1

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:03 pm
I do wonder about it. I don't know about bracelets, but my dd got a necklace of tiny pearls as a bas mitzva gift - similar to the baby bracelets. One time she pulled it a little too hard by mistake, and it snapped apart with all the little beads coming off. But maybe it depends on the quality.

graphixmom

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:07 pm
yes, my mother's friend's baby was choking in her crib one day while she was supposedly napping. b"h the cleaning lady heard and ran to get her. b"h someone there knew exactly what to do and the baby coughed up the bracelet... bangles are the safest...

buzz

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:07 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Someone wants to buy a bracelet for my 5 month old dd. I really prefer a soft bracelet vs a bangle, but I'm wondering if it's too much of a hazard. It seems like a very slim chance that she would manage to break it off, though. Did anyone have a problem of a baby getting a bracelet off?

5 month old is getting a little old for a beaded bracelet because they can be quite strong at that age! That is when I took my dd's bracelet off and packed it away for when I have another girl...

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:11 pm
Sounds very dangerous. Why risk your baby's life over something so completely unnecessary as jewelry?

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:22 pm
DrMom wrote:
Sounds very dangerous. Why risk your baby's life over something so completely unnecessary as jewelry?

This. Jewelry on a baby is ridiculous. Yes, I know people have been putting jewelry on babies for millennia--but then, people also used to transport babies in automobiles without seat belts and put whiskey in baby bottles to make them sleep.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:33 pm
My daughter ripped her beaded Brachot with her gums at five months old. I caught it right away, but out could have been a cooking hazard. The bangles she was able to pull off. But they were pretty safe once off. The locking bangle she used to bang till the clasp opened. I gave up on bracelets by the time she was six or seven months. Lol

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:34 pm
Brachot is bracelet
Cooking was supposed to be choking

yoyolala

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 10:50 pm
zaq wrote:
DrMom wrote:

This. Jewelry on a baby is ridiculous. Yes, I know people have been putting jewelry on babies for millennia--but then, people also used to transport babies in automobiles without seat belts and put whiskey in baby bottles to make them sleep.

Couldn't have said it better!

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 11:24 pm
I really wasn't asking for general opinions on jewelry. I was asking about safety. And clearly if I'm asking, its because I don't intend to risk my child's life.

I was actually looking at more of a link type bracelet than a beaded one, but it still sounds as though she might outsmart it. I guess I'll stick with the bangle and hope she isn't bothered by it. Thanks!

ellie23

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 8:10 am
dont get the bracelet for your baby! my ONE YEAR OLD just got a bracelet from her bubby. it is a regular bracelet with 2 small flower charms on it. I put it on her and later found her chewing the charms off. I didnt want her to have a bracelet yet and that is why I didnt get her one but when her bubby gave it to her for her birthday I felt bad saying no. needless to say she wont be wearing it anymore. if you really feel the need to bejewel your baby, I would say to go with bangles but even that I feel should not be done. I dont think a yound child should be made to wear jewlery...they are trying to discover the world and what they can do and need to do so freely and safely- jewelery only gets in the way of that...

sneakermom

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 9:01 am
One of my daughters ripped her beaded pacifier holder that I got as a gift. I found her sitting right in the middle of this pile of pink pearls happily playing and putting them in her mouth.

I never use those things anymore.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 9:26 am
I found bangles on my baby to be hard too fit. If its too big it can slide right off. But when it was tight enough not to fall off the fat on her harm dug into it and it looked uncomfortable. The hand to arm ratio (of my baby at least) isn't really suitable for bangle. Make sure it is returnable so you can make sure the size really fits well.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 10:06 am
Safety considerations aside--and they are legion-- I can't understand why anyone would want to clutter up a baby with extraneous ornamentation. As if that could make her any more appealing! Babies are adorable all on their own and need no embellishment.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 10:08 am
BTW be aware that you should never buy a young child costume jewelry, which can contain astronomic levels of lead. If you're buying jewelry for a youngster, make it gold or sterling.

sneakermom

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 11:22 am
zaq wrote:
BTW be aware that you should never buy a young child costume jewelry, which can contain astronomic levels of lead. If you're buying jewelry for a youngster, make it gold or sterling.

I worry a lot about that. My six year old is begging me for some costume jewelry she is a very girly type and there are lots of costume bracelets and earrings in style now. I'm just afraid of the lead. I wonder if there is a way I can test the jewelry itself.

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 12:25 pm
sneakermom wrote:
zaq wrote:

I worry a lot about that. My six year old is begging me for some costume jewelry she is a very girly type and there are lots of costume bracelets and earrings in style now. I'm just afraid of the lead. I wonder if there is a way I can test the jewelry itself.

The problem is if you could test for lead, there are other products that are used in the manufacturing in countries like as China such as arsenic.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 12:29 pm
sneakermom wrote:
zaq wrote:

There is something called LeadChek swabs but it probably costs more than the jewelry does. If the jewelry comes from China you can practically guarantee that it contains lead and possibly other toxic metals as well.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 12:56 pm
My girls all wear two braclets-one on each hand. Baruch hashem they never tore or were pulled off by the kid. I lke jewelry and as long as I feel it's safe, will have them wear it. I wouldn't put on a ring or necklace yet as I feel those are way too dangerous.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 1:22 pm
zaq wrote:
Safety considerations aside--and they are legion-- I can't understand why anyone would want to clutter up a baby with extraneous ornamentation. As if that could make her any more appealing! Babies are adorable all on their own and need no embellishment.

Please refer to my earlier post: I really wasn't asking for general opinions on jewelry. I was asking about safety

I also- gasp!- buy her cute (comfortable) outfits, even though a plain old stretchy would suffice. Criminal, I know.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics