Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Initial certification question

amother

Post Fri, Aug 10 2012, 1:28 pm
hi,
I just got my teacher's license. I was reading online that since I don't have any previous teaching experience I need to be mentored. Anyone go through this? What happens if you work in a private school? I'm not working right now and I'm a sahm and I really feel like I need to know what I just got myself into.

morah

Post Fri, Aug 10 2012, 1:30 pm
What state are you in? Didn't you have to do some student-teaching to qualify for your license? That is supposed to be your experience and mentoring.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 10 2012, 1:34 pm
ny
of course I did my student teaching! The state website is very unclear. I was looking at the requirements on how to obtain my professional license. Being mentored sounded very different than student teaching! I would be so relieved if I knew that it was referring to student teaching. maybe I should call up my college and ask them?

morah

Post Fri, Aug 10 2012, 1:40 pm
In NY, once you complete those requirements and take the tests, you get what's called a PROVISIONAL license. You then have 5 years to complete your PROFESSIONAL license, which requires, among other things, completing a masters degree. During that time, you are presumably teaching, and since you are still wet behind the ears, you will generally have a more senior teacher as a mentor during that time. I'm not sure if that mentoring is a requirement. But in any case, you have to actually work as a teacher to get a mentor.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 10 2012, 3:27 pm
If you're talking about NY, the mentoring requirement is if you work in a public school. I am 99% sure that if you are working elsewhere then it doesn't count. Don't take my word for it though because the education department here is so messed up that everyone you talk to tells a different story.

Morah, OP says she went the route of initial, not provisional. Slightly different requirements.

QUEENY

Post Fri, Aug 10 2012, 5:02 pm
seeker wrote:
If you're talking about NY, the mentoring requirement is if you work in a public school. I am 99% sure that if you are working elsewhere then it doesn't count. Don't take my word for it though because the education department here is so messed up that everyone you talk to tells a different story.

Morah, OP says she went the route of initial, not provisional. Slightly different requirements.

but with an initial cert..she needs 2-3 years teaching experience in her field in order to get her professional...so if she completes that she would have someone sign off as her mentor.

nicole81

Post Sat, Aug 11 2012, 9:39 pm
from what I read, private school teachers are exempt from the mentoring. and there is another exemption, that is if you complete 2 full years of teaching experience under the initial. so it seems that you would be more than covered.

additionally, if your school would like to provide you with a mentoring experience out of goodwill Smile you can have them fill out this form http://www.highered.nysed.gov/.....p.pdf

acccdac

Post Sat, Aug 11 2012, 11:54 pm
im in another state (CA) but last year, I did what you are asking about.

my choices were to
1) do a 5th year of study - masters program
2) BTSA program (thats what they call it by us which is 2 years of teaching with a mentor)

You are only permitted to do the 5th year of study if your school doesnt have BTSA program, basically most private schools.

I found a state school which provided the 5th year of study, I had to have my school (jewish school) sign a form stating they did not have a BTSA program, and then I took 6 classes online which included finding a mentor at my school who observed me and wrote something up after the 2 observations.

It was pretty simple and worked out well, I would assume that NY has some sort of version of this program so look into it.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 12 2012, 2:24 pm
op here,
thanks everyone for your replies!
I have another question for you guys.
I need 3 years full time experience in order to apply for my professional certification. but what if I work part time? How many hours does that translate into? Again, the state website is very unclear. If I have to, I will call up albany, but if someone on here went through the same thing I am going through, I would really appreciate the input!

groisamomma

Post Sun, Aug 12 2012, 2:36 pm
I'm in NJ. Going the traditional route, your standard certificate is enough and no mentoring is required. Alternate route teachers need one year of mentoring to convert from provisional to standard certification.

In either case, school districts are required to provide teachers new to the district with a mentor teacher for one year. Private schools are exempt.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 12 2012, 3:05 pm
amother wrote:
op here,
thanks everyone for your replies!
I have another question for you guys.
I need 3 years full time experience in order to apply for my professional certification. but what if I work part time? How many hours does that translate into? Again, the state website is very unclear. If I have to, I will call up albany, but if someone on here went through the same thing I am going through, I would really appreciate the input!
I called/emailed and got a number of hours that would be considered equivalent to 3 full-time years. I can look it up but I'm afraid to say anything because as I've already mentioned my feeling is that they are a bunch of clowns who change their tune every five minutes, no one knows what anyone else is saying, I don't want anyone to get in trouble for following the guidelines that were given to me. I haven't finished my upgrade yet so I don't even know if they'll stand by what they told me in the first place. Very annoying.

sleeepyhead

Post Sun, Aug 12 2012, 3:14 pm
groisamomma: I moved from NY to NJ this year and my new boss keeps bugging me about whether or not I need to be mentored, since I already taught in NY with my NY license/cert. Now that I am switching it to NJ and teaching here, do I need to be mentored? What do you mean by traditional and alternate route?

Thanks!

groisamomma

Post Sun, Aug 12 2012, 3:25 pm
sleeepyhead wrote:
groisamomma: I moved from NY to NJ this year and my new boss keeps bugging me about whether or not I need to be mentored, since I already taught in NY with my NY license/cert. Now that I am switching it to NJ and teaching here, do I need to be mentored? What do you mean by traditional and alternate route?

Thanks!

Public or private school? Public means one year of mentoring by the district, nothing to do with the state.

Traditional and Alternate Route don't apply to you since your cert. is standard in another state so it's completed--only being transferred.

Reciprocity between states means it will be honored in NJ however new laws requires you to pass just the Praxis in your subject area.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 12 2012, 3:38 pm
groisamomma wrote:
sleeepyhead wrote:

Thanks!

Public or private school? Public means one year of mentoring by the district, nothing to do with the state.

Traditional and Alternate Route don't apply to you since your cert. is standard in another state so it's completed--only being transferred.

Reciprocity between states means it will be honored in NJ however new laws requires you to pass just the Praxis in your subject area.
Really? I thought NY and NJ don't have reciprocity. If they do that would be nice to know! Anything you can share about the switching process would be appreciated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics