Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
General Studies Teacher Salary in Private Schools

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 2:20 pm
It has come to my attention after a few years of teaching that there is a big inequity between the pay for high school general studies teachers who have teaching degrees (paid much less) than those teaching Jewish studies with little chinuch background. The general subjects get no respect and the heads of the school do not seem to value student accomplishment in math, science, English, history, art, etc. I didn't grow up in this community and find it unfair (as a teacher) and a shame for the students. Is this the usual attitude?

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 2:32 pm
Not in my coomunity. Teachers that teach Regent subjects(even without a degree) get paid a lot more than those teaching Limudei Kodesh.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 2:34 pm
same experience here (as c and c). That's for the newer teachers. For the teachers there many years, often the hebrew ones salaries grow a bit more.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 2:48 pm
OP here. I wish I knew what to do about it. I trust the source of the information but I don't want to get him in trouble for telling me. I have grown very disillusioned with what is happening (but would never take it out on my students as I love them). It bothers me that the academics are so undervalued.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. I wish I knew what to do about it. I trust the source of the information but I don't want to get him in trouble for telling me. I have grown very disillusioned with what is happening (but would never take it out on my students as I love them). It bothers me that the academics are so undervalued.

Why would someone get in trouble for this?
I mean, it's not like he's breaking a law or s/t?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 4:11 pm
It was confidential. We aren't supposed to know what other people are making but he was in a position to know.

I don't know how you are supposed to find out what a reasonable salary is, because it all done secretively and not something people usually share. When I first started teaching, I was shown a salary range on a piece of paper that was flashed quickly under my nose. I was excited to have a job and had no idea whether the amount was fair. I know it is a lot less than public school, of course, but I like being in my environment.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 4:20 pm
amother wrote:
It was confidential. We aren't supposed to know what other people are making but he was in a position to know.

I don't know how you are supposed to find out what a reasonable salary is, because it all done secretively and not something people usually share. When I first started teaching, I was shown a salary range on a piece of paper that was flashed quickly under my nose. I was excited to have a job and had no idea whether the amount was fair. I know it is a lot less than public school, of course, but I like being in my environment.

Same here, but after my first year of teaching I asked around not only in my school but in others, and there is definitely a standard amount.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 6:07 pm
Here's another to make you think:
In the school in which I teach, the Moros (female teachers of Hebrew subjects) get a tuition break. Of course, the Rebbeim do as well. That's standard, before negotiation. The teachers who teach secular studies (all female) do not.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:
Here's another to make you think:
In the school in which I teach, the Moros (female teachers of Hebrew subjects) get a tuition break. Of course, the Rebbeim do as well. That's standard, before negotiation. The teachers who teach secular studies (all female) do not.

That's because they get paid so little. (IN my community...)
Just curious, where are you from?

sim

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 6:12 pm
edited

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 6:13 pm
the general studies teachers get paid less then the moros anyway. I can't tell you where I live. sorry.

sim

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 6:16 pm
Salaries in RW Jewish private schools will tend to vary by location and by subject. In Brooklyn there is a more-or-less standard starting salary that rises in increments, but because there's more supply than demand it never gets very high. However, someone who teaches a specialty course (regents, math, something for college credits) can do decently on a per diem basis.
Elsewhere it's going to depend on the supply/demand thing as well, but more importantly on the financial abilities of the community members and the size of the community.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 6:27 pm
Some schools in Brooklyn wouldn't hire me specifically because I was qualified because it cost too much, cheaper to get young girls out of seminary. It's sad and I would never send my own children to those schools because I know how important a good teacher is.

I now live OOT and teach public school but the Jewish schools here pay at least as much as public, just where the vacancy was at the time.

Happy18

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 6:36 pm
My starting salary as a new teacher was only 2,000 less than a hebrew teacher who had been in the school for close to 20 years.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 6:51 pm
So it seems like it varies by school. In my school, as I recently learned, the Jewish Studies teachers earn a lot more, but the general studies teachers are the one with a lot of extra work because of inspectors from the department of education. And many of the parents want and expect their girls to go on to some sort of post-secondary education (not all, but a good amount). I had this vague notion that the Administration wasn't interested in anything secular but it's really come home to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics