Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Officially a Londoner but in need of a flat....

amother

Post Thu, Sep 20 2012, 12:24 pm
bs"d

Finally my daughter and I are in Jewish London! We are still new here, came for Rosh Hashana and we are staying Smile

I would like to know: can anyone recommend a landlord? We are staying with friends, and it is a very, very temporary solution...

Kol tuv!

A Happy Mother.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 7:22 pm
Baruchim habaim! Firstly whereabout in London are you looking to rent?
Most real estate agents seem to focus on specific areas. You can get a general feel for types of flats/houses available and how much they cost by looking at To Let section of agents windows.

Genrally rents are quoted per week but paid monthly. So you multiply weekly rents by 52 and divide by 12 to get the amount. I think they can usually ask for one month's deposit, which should be kept at a separate/safeguarded account. Make sure you get inventories done properly esp you're renting a furbished flat--as you'll be held liable for discrepancies before you move in and after you move out.

If you want to bypass agents, you can see if anyone has posted on Edgware K (it's not just for Edgware).
But then you'll be responsible for negotiating/getting the lease docs, inventories etc.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 7:31 pm
Just a few more basics: tenants are responsible for utilities, council tax and TV tax. First floor in British English is second floor in American English, what Americans call first floor is ground floor. You'll need to ask if a bedroom is double or single sized. Single bedroom is often barely big enough to put a single bed and nothing else. Double-glazed windows are nice esp you can save on heating costs.

If you use eruv (not everyone uses NW eruv), check the boundaries. Check convenience to public transportation (bus, tube, rail)--esp frequencies of bus if you depend on it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating