Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Do you call it menorah or chanukiah?
1  2  Next

do you call it...?
menorah  
 76%  [ 78 ]
chanukiah  
 23%  [ 24 ]
other?  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 102

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:04 pm
I know technically we light a chanukiah, but I was brought up calling it a menorah, so that's what I do. What do you call it?

b from nj

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:10 pm
I've always called it a menorah even though in Israel I think it is more commonly called a Chanukiah.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:24 pm
I told DD it's a menorah but she's calling it a chakuna. Very Happy So maybe we should call it a chanukia lol.

Tinkerbelle

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:36 pm
I call it a menora when I'm speaking english and chanukia when speaking hebrew.

Happy18

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:49 pm
I use them interchangably.

someoneoutthere

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:52 pm
Menorah. That's what it technically is as well. The word chanukia was invented by the wife of Ben Yehuda, as a word to specifically refer to the chanuka menora as opposed to all other menoras (lit. Lamp)

amother

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:57 pm
The word chanukia is a Zionist made up word. There is no such word in the Hebrew language of the Torah. There was a Chanuka Menora and a Beis Hamikdosh Menorah. One had 9 lights and one had 7. Both are menorahs. One was made of pure gold, and most of ours are made of silver or any other material.
Happy Hanuka! Or is it a Freilechen Chanuka?!

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 7:02 pm
It's Chanukah sameach.

b from nj

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 7:06 pm
sequoia wrote:
It's Chanukah sameach.

I was going to write that but I was sure someone would say that Chanukah Sameach sounds too Zionistic Twisted Evil !

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 7:24 pm
Is it a kippah or a yarmulka? a yahrzeit licht or a memorial candle? Depends on my mood, my audience, our location, what language we're speaking, and possibly the phase of the moon.

I prefer chanukiyah as a more specific term. THE Menorah was in the Temple, and "menorah" is a generic term for a lamp. The term chanukiyah leaves no doubt to which device one is referring.

avocado

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 8:18 am
I was always taught that Chanukiah refers to the 9 branched thing we light on Chanukah, and Menorah refers to the 7 branched thing list in the Beit Hamikdash.

Chanukiah = 9 branches
Menorah = 7

With that explanation, I have never understood why everyone goes round calling it a menorah...

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 9:06 am
amother wrote:
The word chanukia is a Zionist made up word. There is no such word in the Hebrew language of the Torah. There was a Chanuka Menora and a Beis Hamikdosh Menorah. One had 9 lights and one had 7. Both are menorahs. One was made of pure gold, and most of ours are made of silver or any other material.

How dare those evil Zionists make up words! Don't use the word "chanukia" -- you'll get Zionist cooties.

Barbara

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 9:57 am
amother wrote:

You're absolutely correct. In the Torah, the word used with respect to Chanukah is "menorah." That's in B'reisheet, right.

b from nj

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:02 am
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

You're absolutely correct. In the Torah, the word used with respect to Chanukah is "menorah." That's in B'reisheet, right.

lol barbara!

Barbara

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:05 am
b from nj wrote:
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

lol barbara!

PHEW. After I posted that, I was a little concerned people might think I was being serious.

ETA -- and FTR, I used menorah. I grew up Conservative, and never heard the word "Chanukiah" until DS started nursery school and came home singing "How Many Candles ...."

Last edited by Barbara on Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total

shalhevet

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:06 am
I learned (as avocado mentioned) that a chanukia has 9 branches (for lighting on Chanuka) and the 7-branched menora was what was lit in the mishkan and Temple. It is simply not the same thing.

For all those worried about Ben-Yehuda's influence, all the chareidi children in EY who attend Hebrew-speaking chadarim (as opposed to Yiddish speaking) light a chanukia and know the halachas of lighting a chanukia. Of course the nes (miracle) in the Temple was with a menora, because it's not the same thing. These children also probably use many more words invented/ misinvented by Ben-Yehuda.

b from nj

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:13 am
shalhevet wrote:
I learned (as avocado mentioned) that a chanukia has 9 branches (for lighting on Chanuka) and the 7-branched menora was what was lit in the mishkan and Temple. It is simply not the same thing.

For all those worried about Ben-Yehuda's influence, all the chareidi children in EY who attend Hebrew-speaking chadarim (as opposed to Yiddish speaking) light a chanukia and know the halachas of lighting a chanukia. Of course the nes (miracle) in the Temple was with a menora, because it's not the same thing. These children also probably use many more words invented/ misinvented by Ben-Yehuda.

Uh oh...I hope these chareidi children in Hebrew speaking chadarim will somehow manage to find good shidduchim despite that Wink!

MrsDash

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:27 am
I've heard of the word "chanukiah" but never knew what it was in reference to. Menorah all the way Very Happy

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
All I have to say to this is YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grew up saying menorah, but now, living in israel, my daughter comes home talking about a chanukiah. So, I taught her about the fact that we use some words that are yiddish and now she knows both.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
The word chanukia is a Zionist made up word. There is no such word in the Hebrew language of the Torah.

In the Hebrew language of the Torah there are also no words for yarmulka, sheitel, synagogue, mohel(milah, yes; mohel, no), kashrut and gemara.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics