Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can you crack an egg with one hand...
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 10:03 am
without getting any shells in the cup/bowl/whatever Wink ? I can't!!!! Is there a trick or just practice?

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 10:24 am
Practice, and a little bit of luck.

sky

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 10:53 am
My grandmother never had the the use of her fingers on one hand. yet, she makes the most delicious sponge cakes, perfect crepes, and pounds of egg noodles for pesach And mile high nut cakes. So I guess it can be done.

bananasplit

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 11:06 am
I can't but DH can ;-)

STovah

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:44 pm
I learned how to when doing breakfast duty in camp when I was 15. I generally just crack the eggs with both hands though.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:54 pm
yup

Happy18

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 9:23 pm
I can but usually just use both hands. Less risk of pieces of eggshells.

anonymom

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 9:26 pm
Why would you? So you have one clean hand?

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 10:25 pm
It's faster, and if you're really good, you can be doing something else like wiping the table or stirring the batter with the other hand. Also, it looks really cool and you impress the socks off anyone who happens to be watching.

Happy18

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 10:27 pm
I wanted to learn how to do it so I did. Only do it if I am holding something in the other hand.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 10:44 pm
But being kosher knocks off a big chunk of the cool factor, because the really cool move is to crack an egg, or better yet, several eggs in a row, directly into the frying pan. One by one into a little glass bowl that you then lift up and check from below, not so much.

Happy18

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 10:49 pm
zaq wrote:
But being kosher knocks off a big chunk of the cool factor, because the really cool move is to crack an egg, or better yet, several eggs in a row, directly into the frying pan. One by one into a little glass bowl that you then lift up and check from below, not so much.

True, personally I wouldnt be sure I didnt drop eggshells in the pan Very Happy

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 11:11 pm
On a side point - I read that if you bang the egg on a flat surface, like a counter, versus a curved surface, like the edge of a cup, you're less likely to get shell fragments in your egg.

Is that true?

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 11:25 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
On a side point - I read that if you bang the egg on a flat surface, like a counter, versus a curved surface, like the edge of a cup, you're less likely to get shell fragments in your egg.

Is that true?

I'm skeptical. If you strike it on a flat surface, I would expect the shell to smash all along that surface. Not only would you have a mess of crushed eggshell to clean up, but I think you'd also have a mess of egg all over your counter. The reason you hit it on the edge of the cup is that you want the force to be concentrated along a thin line so the shell cracks along that line . You want your eggshell cracked, not smashed. You might try hitting it along--or with-- the straight edge of a ruler to test the curved-vs.-straight theory. Remind me next time I bake.

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 11:34 pm
I never knew that people crack eggs with two hands. Another thing I never heard about until this site.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 11:40 pm
Squishy wrote:
I never knew that people crack eggs with two hands. Another thing I never heard about until this site.

Well, obviously people do the actual cracking with one hand. But do you always complete the whole process with one hand- open egg, pour into checking container, pour into bowl? I actually tend to check just by passing the yolk back and forth from one half of the shell to the other. So one handed would not work for me.

precious

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 11:42 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:

Is that true?

it's probably true because I always bang the egg on the counter and very rarely get any eggshells in my egg.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 11:50 pm
whether or not you get pieces of shell is in the momentum

Eemaof3

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 6:50 am
Thanks for the inspiration. I have been cooking since 5AM and decided to try one handed egg cracking. Not only could I do one, but I did one in each hand and no shell fragments!! Oh what makes us happy on 3 hours of sleep!! Shabbat Shalom all!

DrMom

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 6:54 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Squishy wrote:

Well, obviously people do the actual cracking with one hand. But do you always complete the whole process with one hand- open egg, pour into checking container, pour into bowl? I actually tend to check just by passing the yolk back and forth from one half of the shell to the other. So one handed would not work for me.

This. How do you check for blood spots if you do the one-hand thing? (which I think looks totally cool btw)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen