Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Keeping Lists

blokus

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 10:05 pm
I realize that the secret to being organized is keeping lists. How do you do this? What kind of lists do you have and where are they?

I have lists in various notebooks (in my pocketbook, on my desk at home, on my night table, etc.) in addition to online folders containing so much information I don't know where anything is anymore. My lists include shopping lists for the house, for the kids, to-dos for the week/month, singles to keep in mind, book suggestions, schedules, to name a few!) Any advice would be most appreciated!!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 7:07 am
You need a list for all your lists Smile .

I have lists for the day, of what to do. That's on a sticky note. I have a list of things I have to do in general. That's in a notebook. I make shopping lists and that's also on sticky notes. For doctor appointments, I write it on the calendar.

cinnamon

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 7:11 am
I am alos having a hard time with lists. Dh has his lists on his smartphone and is doing really well with it but I don't have one and keeping lists on my (stupid) phone is not comforable.

I have a note book with some lists and I have some lists in excel sheetes on my computer. but I need something that will be easily accessible all the time. I feel silly getting a smartphone just for lists though...

mummy1985

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 7:27 am
I know I may get flax for this but having a smart phone makes it so much easier to make lists
Once I have made an appointment, arrangement etc I put it in my Calendar on my phone which also syncs with my tablet and gmail calendar so on that day it will pop up somewhere that I have a certain event, it's amazing!

Liba

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 7:43 am
I use Google "tasks" in my email. When I am in my email, under the word "Google" it says "gmail" if you click on "gmail" it says:

"gmail
contacts
tasks"

I love "tasks" for making lists. It is where my important phone numbers are stored, my Pesach shopping and cleaning lists are, my daily to do lists are, etc.

imabima

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 8:09 am
I have a notebook, half-size, that I take everywhere with me. Each night I write a list for the next day. If I didn't do something one day it gets copied over to the next day. The list can include appointments, shopping, bills to pay (keep bills in book as well with a binder clip), whatever! The beauty of this system is it's always with you in case you remember something, in case you have a minute or two waiting somewhere and can make a call or something quick and cross it off, and when things DON'T get done, as they sometimes won't, you still have to look it "in the face" when you copy the list to the next day.

Hope this helps!

Amital

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 8:31 am
I keep a Shalom Bayit book. It used to be all paper, but now, I just have a few things in my binder and the rest in a folder on my computer to print out as needed. I keep things like:

-Tishrei: menus (past and present), inventory of special items, what we ordered and from where, checklists
-Purim: list of who we gave /got from
-Pesach: cleaning list, menus (past and present), shopping lists, shailas, inventory and wishlist, erev Pesach checklist, etc.
-Shavuot: menus (past and present), favorite recipe list, checklists
-birthday wishlists and needed items (like size 7 winter pjs, size 2 summer dresses)
-several menus with shopping lists for specific occasions (convenience food week, Chinese Shabbat) plus blanks to plan with
-daily, weekly, and monthly routines (cleaning, errands, etc.) These are good to laminate and check off, then erase and reuse the next week!

Most of that stuff is on my blog (click the www link below, or go to OrganizedJewishHome.com). You are welcome to take and adjust whatever you can use!

I also have a running list of to-dos in my weekly planner, a list of packages to expect taped to my desk, a list of passwords in a notebook (I don't want to keep these on my computer just in case), and a running shopping list (with pen attached to make it easy!) on my refrigerator.

Lots of lists, but I try to keep things where I will use them and avoid bits of paper floating around (and getting lost!)

cinnamon

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 8:46 am
Thanks Amital! I think yourblog is really going to help me.

Maya

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 3:02 pm
These days I walk around with a spiral-bound pad of index cards, and keep separate lists on separate pages, but it's all in one book. I like index cards pads because they're small, and it's much easier to write on pages that are bound at the top rather than on the side.

I have headings like To Clean, For Yom Tov, Groceries, Cosco, General Shopping, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics