Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
DOE & Office of Personnel Investigation--HELP

amother

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:48 am
Help I'm trying to get a job at the NYC DOE and because I was previously fired they have to do an "investigation" Anyone familiar with what goes on with this process? Can you come out alive?

anonymrs

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 12:00 pm
I guess it would depend why you got fired.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 12:07 pm
New amother here.

Lots of people have been fired from the department of education, you just don't know about them.

For all facts and purposes, you are legally entitled to take days off for religious reasons. You can't get fired for taking days off for Succos, let's say.

But, you are basically sticking a giant target on your back when you take off for Jewish holidays, because you are not seen as a team player. My principal used to make all kinds of announcements praising teachers who came to work every day.

You could have been the best employee there ever was, but since you took off days for Succos (when other teachers only took off one day at best) you were asking for trouble.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 12:11 pm
anonymrs wrote:
I guess it would depend why you got fired.

New amother.

The whole system is flawed. If the principal wants you out, there is nothing you can do.

The principal or A.P. has to observe your lessons. If they want you out (because you took off days for succos) then no matter what, you will get a U rating. IF the kids were paying attention, then you didn't teach them anything new. If they weren't paying attention, then you have poor classroom management.

I did the best lesson ever done (I got lots of help) and I still got a U rating.

But speak to your union rep for the district anyway.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 4:10 pm
Op here. I wasn't fired from DOE. First time directly dealing with DOE what are they looking for? How long will this take? Even if I made mistakes in the past how do I prove that im more than my record? I have improved my teaching skills/better suited for this position than in the past

amother

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. I wasn't fired from DOE. First time directly dealing with DOE what are they looking for? How long will this take? Even if I made mistakes in the past how do I prove that im more than my record? I have improved my teaching skills/better suited for this position than in the past

Design the best lessons for what you are planning to teach, and prepare all the materials. IF possible, design a powerpoint presentation with your main questions and handouts or whatever materials you will be using.

When you go for interviews, bring your sample lesson plans with you. Powerpoint presentations can be printed out with 6 slides to a page.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 1:34 pm
OP here, Last "amother"--I'm not sure I understand your post. I was on the verge of getting hired for a job, but because of my "job history" I was told that they "have to investigate"--Is there any hope that I'll still be able to get this job?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics