Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you have separate peeler?
1  2  Next

do you have separate peelers? (milichig, fleishig, pareve)
yes  
 27%  [ 24 ]
no  
 68%  [ 59 ]
other  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 86

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 9:43 am
In another thread about kashrus someone wrote if a pareve peeler was used. Do you have a peeler for dairy, meat, and pareve? I have one. Actually I have more than one, but it's all pareve because all I peel are fruits and vegetables with it.

baba

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 9:52 am
I used to have only parve, but now that I have a milchig and fleishig dishwasher I bought a few more, just so I can pop them into the dishwasher afterwards. They hardly cost anything, so it was worth it.

syrima

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 10:00 am
I clean my peeler by hand, and only peel veggies with it. Someone asked me recently if my peeler was pareve in order to borrow it, and I could NOT understand what she was talking about.
I do have 2 peelers which are Pesachdig, but that is another story.

Simple1

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 10:06 am
I have separate, not because I feel I have to, but it usually happens that way. Like, if the peeler gets dumped in a sink of meat dishes or the dishwasher, I feel unsure about it and decide that I'll only use it for "meat".

tissues

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 10:14 am
I have separate peeelers but I have no clue why. Really I need one pareve peeler (and when I have helpers I need 2-3) and that's it.

One use I have of my milchige peeler is to make milchige chocolate shavings for cheesecake.

But I never understood what I could peel with a fleishige peeler (chicken feathers?)

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 10:31 am
syrima wrote:
I clean my peeler by hand, and only peel veggies with it. Someone asked me recently if my peeler was pareve in order to borrow it, and I could NOT understand what she was talking about.
I do have 2 peelers which are Pesachdig, but that is another story.

I have lots of separate stuff (some spices, condiments) and an array of pareve pots that a friend was amazed at, but I only use my peeler to peel vegetables or fruit. It's like having a pareve knife and being able to keep it pareve.

DrMom

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 10:37 am
I have one. All the things I peel are parve so I see no need for duplicates.

Liba

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 11:02 am
I have a bunch of peelers, all pareve.

freidasima

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 11:04 am
several all pareve. kept in the pareve drawer with the pareve knives, silverware, serving pieces. We also have a full array of pareve pots and some pareve serving plates.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 11:53 am
We have multiple.

I am rarely just peeling vegetables when I cook. Also, we throw ours in the dishwasher.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 11:57 am
All pareve. But someone was taken aback that I have separate can openers (I sometimes open canned soups that are milchig/fleishig.)

mommyhood

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 12:28 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
All pareve. But someone was taken aback that I have separate can openers (I sometimes open canned soups that are milchig/fleishig.)

Did your Rav say that was required or it's just your personal preference? I never heard of having a separate can opener I assumed since it was cold and clean it's not a problem.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 12:33 pm
mommyhood wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Did your Rav say that was required or it's just your personal preference? I never heard of having a separate can opener I assumed since it was cold and clean it's not a problem.

I never asked but we have two can openers too. I grew up with two can openers. I'm surprised its not the norm?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 12:36 pm
My father is a rav in the kashrus industry and he has separate can openers. I don't believe can openers fully get clean, and it's very common for residue to stick on it. Therefore, we have separate can openers.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 12:40 pm
I have never heard of this, ever.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 12:46 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My father is a rav in the kashrus industry and he has separate can openers. I don't believe can openers fully get clean, and it's very common for residue to stick on it. Therefore, we have separate can openers.

So your father says it's halachically required, or it's just what he chooses to do.

Barbara

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 1:02 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
mommyhood wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I never asked but we have two can openers too. I grew up with two can openers. I'm surprised its not the norm?

It would never have occurrred to me that two can openers are not required.

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 1:40 pm
Barbara wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
mommyhood wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

It would never have occurred to me that two can openers are not required.

There is no canned food that I buy that is dairy or meat. maybe if you eat chalav stam there is a wider variety of canned dairy food available?

Meat too, we generally eat specific hechsherim who mostly do not make canned food.

I have meat and dairy peelers since I have a dishwasher but they are only used for vegetables and fruit. As a kid we used to use a peeler to slice very thin slices of cheese so be aware that someone may be doing that in your kitchen.

Barbara

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 1:44 pm
Raisin wrote:
Barbara wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
mommyhood wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

It would never have occurred to me that two can openers are not required.

There is no canned food that I buy that is dairy or meat. maybe if you eat chalav stam there is a wider variety of canned dairy food available?

Meat too, we generally eat specific hechsherim who mostly do not make canned food.

I have meat and dairy peelers since I have a dishwasher but they are only used for vegetables and fruit. As a kid we used to use a peeler to slice very thin slices of cheese so be aware that someone may be doing that in your kitchen.

I very occcasionally use canned condensed milk, or a can of chicken broth. And for years, although I know not why, tuna was always labeled as Dairy.

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 2:19 pm
I have a milchig and fleishig, just because I like to wash them with other dishes and not bother keeping them pareve. I do have a pareve knife and mandolin slicer, though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen