Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Messy drawers

Frenchfry

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 10:19 pm
The clothing is neatly folded when I put it in, but all it takes is for the child(ren) in question to reach underneath for the shirt s(he) wants, and I needn't have bothered with the folding. Ideas?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 10:37 pm
Make a rule. They can only take what's on top.
If they want to wear things in a different order than the way you store it, maybe have them put it in the order they like as you put it away for them.

Meglmom

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 12:56 am
My kids chose there clothes the night before together with me. Like this theres no clothing fight in morning, they get dressed when I'm still sleeping or getting ready, and of course it all ends up staying neat!

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 1:22 am
My drawers are not deep so instead of stacking in layers, I stack them kind of sideways so that if you're looking down you see the folded edge of everything and can easily pull something out from the middle without messing up everything. Still gets messy but not as much, as fast.

Frenchfry

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:28 pm
Taking what's on top isn't really practical, they'd never get to the bottom, also they're often looking for a specific shirt/shell. I can help them choose their clothes, but till what age do I expect this to go on?

Bumping for more ideas

cat

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:42 pm
I have the same problem so I'd love to hear everyones ideas...

SingALong

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:45 pm
Do you have a closet with shelves? I keep shirts/tees/shells on shelves in the closet so you can see easily which top you want and it's easier to take out and put back. I use the draw space for small items like socks, tights, underwear, hair stuff, and pajamas. I don't have so many draws, but I have a lot of shelves in the closet so this system works for me.

Frenchfry

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 7:24 am
Nope, no shelves, just lots of deep drawers. Why doesn't everyone have this problem, and why do I bother folding?

smss

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 7:45 am
BASKETS. one for socks, one for underwear, one for undershirts etc. that way even if the pile's not exactly straight at least it's all in one place and can be found easily.

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 8:12 am
Frenchfry wrote:
Nope, no shelves, just lots of deep drawers. Why doesn't everyone have this problem, and why do I bother folding?

We live with messy drawers. I straighten them out about once a week.

Folded and then mushed up is still less wrinkled then never folded.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 10:37 am
I don't really fold very well. embarrassed Clothing ie shabbos shirts that needs to stay neat gets hung on hangers. I carefully fold my own clothing since there is a point to that. But kids underwear and tshirts? Don't bother.

Amital

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 3:28 am
I do a combination of baskets for smaller things and folding the tops to fit vertically in the drawers, like filing them. I also put the pants in with the fold in the front so when they choose, the pants stay folded.

And understand that some mess is normal - even my drawers aren't perfect. My older kids (3.5+) have straightening their drawers as a chore once a week, so they prefer to keep them a little more neat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics