Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
From NYC DOC: measles update
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 5:11 pm
amother wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm annoyed.

I had to give my 2nd son his MMR at 13 months bc a mumps outbreak was going around. 6 months later he developed autism and all the natural geniuses blame it on that. So whenever I'll have another child IYh I'll have to start worrying about giving the MMR again at a year or under and be scared of autism again? ugh.

MMR vaccine does not cause autism
It was actually false data a child is born with autism
and from smiling, talking, etc. slowly turns autistic because they were born autistic???? or is actually born autistic in that the child never makes eye contact, etc.??? OR, which I believe is the case- a person is born with a tendency towards autism and various factors can bring it to the fore.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 5:50 pm
Mothers and mothers- to- be: check with your doctors. If you get a " probably ok" answer, use your own best judgement. My mother almost died when she had measles whe pregnant .

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 5:50 pm
Mothers and mothers- to- be: check with your doctors. If you get a " probably ok" answer, use your own best judgement. My mother almost died when she had measles whe pregnant .

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 6:36 pm
bnm wrote:
seeker wrote:
As if there wasn't enough to worry about giving the vaccine at 18 months, now we need to worry about giving it to 6-month-olds. Great.

The cynic in me suspects that people have not been taking isolation seriously enough. Come on, how much of a social life do most under-twos have that it spread to so many babies? As soon as a case comes to light, everyone who they know was in contact with them and does not have immunity should be quarantined immediately, regardless of how inconvenient it is for the parents, until it is clear they were not infected. Even if a baby's whole daycare got exposed before it was realized that they had it, that would only be maybe 10 babies.

I'm OK with individual choices in vaccination BUT it has to come along with that responsibility of going the extra mile to keep your kids isolated. If you don't mind your kid getting measles, then at least keep them away from others once they've been exposed. I think in the broader crunchy/non-vax community this is understood, but I suspect that in the demographic in question there may be more doing it because their sister-in-law/cousin/neighbor/whatever does, without a personal understanding of the mechanics involved.

10 babies can = 100 siblings in a bunch of different schools. baby isn't sleeping and parent goes to a wedding with the child instead of leaving with a babysitter? other babies are there from different places and BAM it spreads.

If I understand correctly, the 100 school age children cannot carry the germ if they are immune. So it would have stopped with those 10 babies. Unless there is an epidemic of non-vaxing and all/many of the 10 babies' siblings were not immune, nor were many of the siblings' classmates, etc, in which case frankly the school should call for early summer vacation and all the kids should be quarantined until it's clear who's carrying germs. But that does not appear to be the case in the scenario described.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:34 pm
Measles vaccine is 90 to 98 percent effective, so if you were vaccinated, you have nothing to fear! Quit the hysterics...

mommy27

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 9:37 pm
And what about all those babies who are too young to be immunized? And who says the immunized can't carry it? If someone with measles was in contact with someone immunized and got germs all over that person's clothing, can't it spread that way too (I suppose that would depend on the length of time the measles virus can survive outside the body)?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 9:44 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm annoyed.

I had to give my 2nd son his MMR at 13 months bc a mumps outbreak was going around. 6 months later he developed autism and all the natural geniuses blame it on that. So whenever I'll have another child IYh I'll have to start worrying about giving the MMR again at a year or under and be scared of autism again? ugh.

My son's neurologist recommended pushing of vaccinations as long as possible. She's not a "natural genius", she just doesn't hold by the methods used in the research that debunked the "myth".

In any case, I would think that the recommended measures for early vaccination are of a temporary nature. So iy"H with your next, you hopefully won't have to worry about this.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 9:48 pm
mommy27 wrote:
And what about all those babies who are too young to be immunized? And who says the immunized can't carry it? If someone with measles was in contact with someone immunized and got germs all over that person's clothing, can't it spread that way too (I suppose that would depend on the length of time the measles virus can survive outside the body)?

THEY SHOULD BE KEPT HOME! It is the responsibility of the parents of a newborn to keep him/her away from too many other children. We can only vaccinate against a small minority of contagious diseases, so newborns and young infants are at risk any time they are in public.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm annoyed.

My son's neurologist recommended pushing of vaccinations as long as possible. She's not a "natural genius", she just doesn't hold by the methods used in the research that debunked the "myth".

In any case, I would think that the recommended measures for early vaccination are of a temporary nature. So iy"H with your next, you hopefully won't have to worry about this.
Thank you for another voice of reason among the hysterical masses.

goodmorning

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
mommy27 wrote:

THEY SHOULD BE KEPT HOME! It is the responsibility of the parents of a newborn to keep him/her away from too many other children. We can only vaccinate against a small minority of contagious diseases, so newborns and young infants are at risk any time they are in public.

The MMR is first given at 12 months (at the earliest). It is the responsibility of a parent to keep their child at home for a full year? Never take them to the grocery store, babysitter, park, library, simcha...?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 6:02 pm
goodmorning wrote:
amother wrote:
mommy27 wrote:

The MMR is first given at 12 months (at the earliest). It is the responsibility of a parent to keep their child at home for a full year? Never take them to the grocery store, babysitter, park, library, simcha...?

Do what you want. Just know that there are many diseases out there and we vaccinate only for very few of them, and even then we may be vaccinating for one strain of the disease and there are countless others out there. Whenever you take your child anywhere in public, you are putting them at risk. The younger they are, the more vulnerable. Just know it.

I never understood how mothers take out their few week old newborns to the grocery, etc... Leave when you must, stay home or at least leave baby home as much as you can.

yogabird

Post Sat, Jun 08 2013, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:

I never understood how mothers take out their few week old newborns to the grocery, etc... Leave when you must, stay home or at least leave baby home as much as you can.

Actually, recent studies encourage taking babies and children out as much as possible, and discourage use of disinfectants.

The more bacteria and viruses children are exposed to in a natural way, the more their immune system will develop, and the hardier they will be.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sat, Jun 08 2013, 11:09 pm
yogabird wrote:
amother wrote:

Actually, recent studies encourage taking babies and children out as much as possible, and discourage use of disinfectants.

The more bacteria and viruses children are exposed to in a natural way, the more their immune system will develop, and the hardier they will be.

This.

gp2.0

Post Sat, Jun 08 2013, 11:14 pm
In addition, the majority of young babies have antibodies from the womb that linger on for a couple of months at least. Breastfed babies were found to have temporary immunity even longer.

cookiejar

Post Sat, Jun 08 2013, 11:47 pm
yogabird wrote:
amother wrote:

This is not the case for very small newborns. They do not belong in crowds, and I know of babies who were a few weeks old and brought to simchas and parties and caught things they should not have caught - and would not have caught if they were home where they belonged...

At my first well-visit my pediatrician always sas "keep him away from crowds". So I do.

Use common sense, people.

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Jun 08 2013, 11:52 pm
I guess I'm lucky that my baby was 12 months and 4 days old when the outbreak began, so it was simple to immunize him. If he was just 6 months old, I don't think I would do it- I am not convinced that it has nothing to do with autism or other complications if a baby's system is overloaded by getting it too young or by getting too many shots at once. Especially if they would give it again at 12 months. Way to much MMR way too early for my liking.

But all of my children did get the shot at 12 months old or slightly after, though I wouldn't allow ds to get 3 other shots with it- he only got that and one other this time.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Jun 08 2013, 11:52 pm
Away from crowds doesn't mean locked up at home. You can go for a stroll and pick up a pack of chicken without necessarily exposing them to anything dangerous. That's what I consider common sense.

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Jun 08 2013, 11:58 pm
Culturedpearls wrote:
I'm pro vaccinations period. I'm the mother who calls the school office to make sure they don't allow unvaccinated kids to school if there's any outbreak.
I'm furious with those who do not vaccinate & put others in danger.
Anyone see a baby suffocating with whopping cough?
It's one thing to risk your life but to endanger others? That's callous.
My bochur son spent 3 weeks in isolation in yeshiva in EY because some people chose not to immunize for mumps. B"H since he was immunized it was mild but what if hadn't been? What if my sons fertility would have been effected?
What gives people a right to endanger others?
You don't vaccinate, stay away & inside. Don't endanger the rest of us & our babies who are still too young to be vaccinated.
Your whooping cough example is not a great example, because most adults no longer have immunity from childhood vaccines. For adults, whooping cough is just a bad cough. Adults don't even realize what they have. The problem is when kids get it- then it is more severe.

I know a baby who had whooping cough- caught it from her mother who gave birth while she had it, but the mother didn't realize what kind of cough she had until the baby started turning blue and was diagnosed.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:06 am
I gave my autistic son his MMR booster this week. I am iYh sending him to special needs camp and I think they required it anyway.

speeaking of whooping cough....

when he was 2 months old the pediatrician convinced me to give him first round of shots, which include the DPT (Diptheria, Pertussis, Rubella.) a week later he came down with whooping cough and an ear infection.

From there on, it was 7 back to back ear infections and a yearlong battle with antibiotics.

Who knows, that may have caused the autism.

WHO KNOWS.

I'll still vaccinate my future kids IYh. but maybe not at 2 months.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:49 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I gave my autistic son his MMR booster. This week. I am iYh sending him to special needs camp and I think they required it anyway.

speeaking of whooping cough....

when he was 2 months old the pediatrician convinced me to give him first round of shots, which include the DPT (Diptheria, Pertussis, Rubella.) a week later he came down with whooping cough and an ear infection.

From there on, it was 7 back to back ear infections and a yearlong battle with antibiotics.

Who knows, that may have caused the autism.

WHO KNOWS.

I'll still vaccinate my future kids IYh. but maybe not at 2 months.

The DTaP is diptheria, tetanus and pertussis (whooping cough). Not rubella. (Just clarifying.)
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics